GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2019, 05:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
They are? Sounds pretty cool actually. Always thought that someone could put together a sound board of all the Hawk isms and do games for the next decade based on all the games he's done. This for sure could happen for Vin.
We are about to see wondrous things we could not have fathomed before, in all aspects of life. Alexa and Siri will look as archaic as an abacus.

We're talkin Marilyn Monroe or the Duke making new pictures, with uncanny valley being just a memory. Sky's the limit.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:00 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
I heard coders are working on VinBot to do Dodger games, maybe someone will invent HarryBot for us. An AI replication of 1970s Harry Carey. Imagine that.
It's Caray, not Carey. And as far as I'm concerned, he's not welcome. He became a Cubs shill after being a hyper-critical analyst with the Sox.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 07-12-2019, 09:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Does Bill Melton still do some of the Spring Training MLB.TV streams? Listening to that guy mispronounce Dayan Viciedo's name was torture.

Several years ago during one of those spring broadcasts, the mike was left on in between innings, while Melton was talking to whoever was working with him at the time, and he was telling some stories that shouldn't have been on the air, and just about every other word was a swear word . i actually wanted to call someone to tell them that there was an open mike, but had no idea who to call . anyway, even though i can't recall any of it now, it was compelling at the time.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
It's Caray, not Carey. And as far as I'm concerned, he's not welcome. He became a Cubs shill after being a hyper-critical analyst with the Sox.
And continued to be hyper-critical of the Sox.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
Several years ago during one of those spring broadcasts, the mike was left on in between innings, while Melton was talking to whoever was working with him at the time, and he was telling some stories that shouldn't have been on the air, and just about every other word was a swear word . i actually wanted to call someone to tell them that there was an open mike, but had no idea who to call . anyway, even though i can't recall any of it now, it was compelling at the time.
Didn't know Mark Grace and Beltin' Melton were such chums.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post

Harry Caray was hyper-critical of the Cardinals and A's before he came to the Sox. Curt Flood wrote in his autobiography about how much the players hated him. Of course, they won championships during the Harry Caray years, and there were players he revered, such as Bob Gibson. And the year he was with the A's, the team was ready to break out on a dynastic championship run with Reggie Jackson and company. In his first regular-season announcing day with the White Sox, Carlos May got an RBI triple by hitting a home run and not touching home plate. From there, as the gangsters might say, it was on. But being hyper-critical of the White Sox played better with their fans than being hyper-critical of the Cubs would have. The Cubs paid him enough to wrestle him from the White Sox where he was popular and abandon all of the ethics that had been the foundation of his announcing career to become popular with the Cubs.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
They are? Sounds pretty cool actually. Always thought that someone could put together a sound board of all the Hawk isms and do games for the next decade based on all the games he's done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, that they never stopped to think if they should.
The complete absence of that Southern-fried sycophant has been one of the greatest things about this season.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:29 AM
WSI Guru

Jason flubbed a rule on the telecast tonight, and I was surprised he didn't own up to it, even though you knew he was Googling the answer immediately after on his iPad because he went silent.

It was the wild pitch where McCann tracked down the ball before it went into the dugout. The Rays runner advanced to 2nd.

Jason: "Thank god McCann was able to grab it when he did before it rolled into the dugout".

Stone: "One base."

Jason: "But, it depends on where the runner was when...."

Silence for a minute.

Of course, this may not be as bad as Hawk suggesting the defense set up a fielder behind homeplate on pitchouts with a runner on third.

Stone knows the rules in and out. I appreciate that about him.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Yes. They are more interested in trying to be funny (which they are far from) than be broadcasters. Hearing other announcers on MLB.tv makes me jealous of pretty much any other TV team out there in the league. I actually watched the Cubs/Sox series on the Cubs network, which is saying a lot because Len and JD are almost as bad.
I've been watching a lot of MLB network when they use the local announcers, and I'm sorry, they all sound the same. You could interchange them and I wouldn't even notice the difference, that's boring, no character whatsoever.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:54 AM
WSI Guru

Bill Walton of all people will be filling in for Stone on Aug. 16 against the Angels. I remember when he and Benetti played the role of odd announcing duo at the Maui Invitational last November.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Bill Walton of all people will be filling in for Stone on Aug. 16 against the Angels. I remember when he and Benetti played the role of odd announcing duo at the Maui Invitational last November.
Thanks for the heads up. This is appointment viewing.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-09-2019, 01:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. This is appointment viewing.
Absolutely.

Walton should be paired with Farmer next. They can talk about their experiences of playing golf while on acid.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Mike Schur is going to be doing the Saturday game with Jason. Mike Schur is great (he's the main person behind Parks and Rec and The Good Place, and was involved with The Office and Brooklyn 99, he wrote for the great blog Fire Joe Morgan, and he has a great, funny sports podcast, so this should be great). He's a big Red Sox fan, but really just knows and loves baseball in general...
Old 08-12-2019, 08:57 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Mike Schur is going to be doing the Saturday game with Jason. Mike Schur is great (he's the main person behind Parks and Rec and The Good Place, and was involved with The Office and Brooklyn 99, he wrote for the great blog Fire Joe Morgan, and he has a great, funny sports podcast, so this should be great). He's a big Red Sox fan, but really just knows and loves baseball in general...
I'm excited about this. For those who watched The Office, he also played Dwight's cousin Mose.

The other guests for the other 2 games are supposed to be announced today.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
I've been watching a lot of MLB network when they use the local announcers, and I'm sorry, they all sound the same. You could interchange them and I wouldn't even notice the difference, that's boring, no character whatsoever.

I've been listening to various announcers on SiriusXM since 2006.

I agree. A lot sound the same. And a lot are terrible.

Jason has improved in his time here, and Stone seems like he's enjoying himself more.

I like them.

Our TV team is fine. It's the radio team that needs work. They're terrible.