White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 03:01 PM
WSI Prelate

I hope he can avoid TJS since that'll put him out of action until the 2020 season. Even if it came to that, though, I'm still optimistic about Dunning being part of a great starting rotation in the future.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:39 PM
WSI Guru

Sigh...could be worse I guess although if they honestly think its going to come to surgery do it sooner rather than waste precious time.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Sigh...could be worse I guess although if they honestly think its going to come to surgery do it sooner rather than waste precious time.

I agree with you, but reading between the lines, I'm assuming the Sox don't believe TJS is inevitable or a foregone conclusion for Dunning. Otherwise, they likely would have recommended he have the surgery now. Of course the ultimate decision rests with Dunning! It's his arm and his career.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 06-27-2018, 05:09 PM
WSI Prelate

“You can never have too much pitching” is not just pithy banter. This is what people are referring to when they say that. This is also the reason why “penciling in” a rotation of the future is an exercise in futility.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple
Elbow sprain for Dunning. Shelved 6 to 8 weeks, and then begins a throwing program. Great news. We will probably see him finish up the season with a couple of starts, and he makes AAA next year.
It’s already the end of June. Err on the side of caution. Shut him down for the season, let him heal/condition up to 100%, and let him repeat AA at the beginning of next year.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
It’s already the end of June. Err on the side of caution. Shut him down for the season, let him heal/condition up to 100%, and let him repeat AA at the beginning of next year.
I partially agree...be cautious. But I hope he pitches in the AFL. That way the Sox will find out pretty quickly if he's OK or needs surgery. It could mean the difference between him getting it done in October as opposed to March if he doesn't pitch until spring camp.

That's four or five big months he could already be rehabbing if this is ultimately needed. If the stories I've seen are true and in most cases ultimately he'll need an operation then don't screw around "hoping" it gets better. Fix it and get him going again.

And remember the "official" statement from the Sox used the key word "presently" when regarding surgery. That means they know there are no guarantees rest / rehab will do any good.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Here's an article about Michael Kopech from the Charlotte Observer:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...213849599.html
Old 06-27-2018, 05:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I partially agree...be cautious. But I hope he pitches in the AFL. That way the Sox will find out pretty quickly if he's OK or needs surgery. It could mean the difference between him getting it done in October as opposed to March if he doesn't pitch until spring camp.

That's four or five big months he could already be rehabbing if this is ultimately needed. If the stories I've seen are true and in most cases ultimately he'll need an operation then don't screw around "hoping" it gets better. Fix it and get him going again.

And remember the "official" statement from the Sox used the key word "presently" when regarding surgery. That means they know there are no guarantees rest / rehab will do any good.
With all due respect, Lip, the doctors know a hell of a lot more than any of us.

Pitchers - indeed all players - aren’t just pieces of property whose primary purpose is to entertain us. If they want take every step possible to avoid surgery - even if that surgery is “routine” - then let them do it on the timetable the doctors think is best, not the baseball people, or what is believed to be best for “winning ballgames.”
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
With all due respect, Lip, the doctors know a hell of a lot more than any of us.

Pitchers - indeed all players - aren’t just pieces of property whose primary purpose is to entertain us. If they want take every step possible to avoid surgery - even if that surgery is “routine” - then let them do it on the timetable the doctors think is best, not the baseball people, or what is believed to be best for “winning ballgames.”
I get it Frater, they usually do but I'd caution, doctors make mistakes, sometimes big ones. They are not infallible. There is a long list of athletes I can think of who were either unintentionally misdiagnosed or something happened unexpectedly which impacted their careers...starting with Jack McDowell off the top of my head.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:35 PM
WSI Guru

Heard from a longtime trainer friend that there is a good chance it will heal OK with rest and rehab. If it tightens back up he should not have any issues with it. He cautioned that he could hurt / tear it again but that if it is strengthened properly it won't be because of this injury.

We'll see what kind of "luck" the Sox have with this one. Hopefully it turns out better than Rodon's situation the last year and a half.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:52 PM
WSI Prelate

I’m glad the prognosis is good.

I also agree that doctors and human and are not perfect.

That’s exactly why it’s best to err on the side of caution and to try to avoid surgery if possible.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Does anyone know anything about Luis Mieses?

He's in the Fire League and playing CF. He just turned 18 on May 31 and is batting .361 in 36 AB, with 1 HR, 7 RBI, 4SB, and just 4Ks. Last year he was in the DSL (and why is our DSL team so crappy?).
Old 06-28-2018, 08:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan
Does anyone know anything about Luis Mieses?

He's in the Fire League and playing CF. He just turned 18 on May 31 and is batting .361 in 36 AB, with 1 HR, 7 RBI, 4SB, and just 4Ks. Last year he was in the DSL (and why is our DSL team so crappy?).
Good question about the DSL team. Maybe it’s a consequence of the overage penalty on the Robert signing?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Here's an article about Michael Kopech from the Charlotte Observer:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...213849599.html
I think he will be an ace, but I really wish he had at least one of his off speed pitches fully under control. He is almost there with his slider, but still needs some refining.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Madrigal playing for the CWS title tonight. Would be a nice way for him to step in to the Sox organization. Did anyone else see that wild top of the 9th last night? Arkansas let a pop foul drop that would have ended the game and won them the championship. 3 pitches later the Oregon State player singles to tie the game and the next hitter hits a two run homer.
Closed Thread