White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #166  
Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 PM
sunofgold sunofgold is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,222
Default Beast Buehrle

3 ER in 6 2/3 innings tonite

Don't forget Buehrle pitched during the steroids era and in a hitter's ballpark.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 05-28-2014, 03:02 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 17,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
3 ER in 6 2/3 innings tonite

Don't forget Buehrle pitched during the steroids era and in a hitter's ballpark.
So did Clemens.

But I don't disagree with your point.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 05-28-2014, 05:36 AM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,709
Default

If the Sox offered Buerhle the same contract as Danks, there never would have been a Marlins offer. The Sox chose Danks over Buerhle, plain and simple, and KW blew the call.
__________________
"Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride."
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 AM
gobears1987 gobears1987 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: From the Mideast to the Midwest
Posts: 15,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
If the Sox offered Buerhle the same contract as Danks, there never would have been a Marlins offer. The Sox chose Danks over Buerhle, plain and simple, and KW blew the call.
^This
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 05-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
If Buehrle keeps this up, he will get some votes for league MVP.
Well, sure. If Buehrle he "keeps this up" he will finish the season with a record of 27-3. And if he strings three consecutive 27-3 seasons together, then he will make the HOF. Do you think this is remotely possible?
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 05-28-2014, 04:41 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This has been beaten to death on these boards, but no way, no chance is Mark Buehrle a HOFer, and no way he wins 300 games unless he pitches until he's 45.

Baseball Reference's HOF Indicators are pretty good

Similar Pitchers
View Similar Player Links in Pop-up
Compare Stats to Similars
  1. Jimmy Key (928)
  2. Frank Viola (927)
  3. Scott Sanderson (923)
  4. Bartolo Colon (918)
  5. John Burkett (916)
  6. Mike Flanagan (912)
  7. Bill Gullickson (907)
  8. Ken Holtzman (907)
  9. Paul Splittorff (906)
  10. Bob Forsch (906)
I seriously feel this needs to be updated.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 05-28-2014, 04:54 PM
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 55,245
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I seriously feel this needs to be updated.
I'm pretty sure B-R only updates them once a year, not that you would expect there to be very wild swings even from a year-to-year basis.
__________________
#9

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 05-28-2014, 05:01 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm pretty sure B-R only updates them once a year, not that you would expect there to be very wild swings even from a year-to-year basis.
I believe they had the same list last year too. I could see this list being comparable like 4 or 5 years ago but I don't think any of these guys are even close to Buehrle right now.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 05-28-2014, 05:05 PM
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 55,245
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I believe they had the same list last year too. I could see this list being comparable like 4 or 5 years ago but I don't think any of these guys are even close to Buehrle right now.
Uh, no if you look to the right you can see they do a new list every year, they show the top closest player but if you click on the 2-10 you can bring up the whole list.

I don't know what to tell you, the Jimmy Key comparison is pretty much spot on.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 05-28-2014, 05:22 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Uh, no if you look to the right you can see they do a new list every year, they show the top closest player but if you click on the 2-10 you can bring up the whole list.

I don't know what to tell you, the Jimmy Key comparison is pretty much spot on.
I can kinda see Jimmy Key but nobody else.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,552
Default

Are we going to have to listen to the Buehrle HoF arguments every time he has a good start?

Yeesh.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 05-29-2014, 12:25 AM
sunofgold sunofgold is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,222
Default Mvp

Verlander got MVP with 24-5 2.40era and also received MVP considerations in other years. If Buehrle keeps this up he will be in the running for MVP and Cy Young. And this works to help his resume to make it to the HOF.

You can start making projections and see that he has a legitimate chance to make it to HOF.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 05-29-2014, 09:53 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
Verlander got MVP with 24-5 2.40era and also received MVP considerations in other years. If Buehrle keeps this up he will be in the running for MVP and Cy Young. And this works to help his resume to make it to the HOF.

You can start making projections and see that he has a legitimate chance to make it to HOF.
You go right ahead. But you seem to be the entire person on a board full of big Buehrle fans who thinks he has a legitimate chance.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 3,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
Verlander got MVP with 24-5 2.40era and also received MVP considerations in other years. If Buehrle keeps this up he will be in the running for MVP and Cy Young. And this works to help his resume to make it to the HOF.

You can start making projections and see that he has a legitimate chance to make it to HOF.
I can confidently say that if Buehrle goes 27-3 with a low 2's ERA, he will win the Cy Young Award and get several MVP votes (assuming the Jays make the post-season).
__________________
What is Mind? -- Doesn't Matter!
What is Matter? -- Never Mind!
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 05-29-2014, 03:14 PM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 5,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Are we going to have to listen to the Buehrle HoF arguments every time he has a good start?

Yeesh.
Whitey Ford, Eppa Rixey, Dizzy Dean, Bob Lemon, Waite Hoyt, Chief Bender, Addie Joss, Jack Chesbro, Herb Pennock, Catfish Hunter, Lefty Gomez, Candy Cummings, Rube Marquard, and Jesse Haines. All starting pitchers in the HOF and all have lower JAWS than Mark Buehrle. Now personally I think to date Buehrle has been an outstanding starter who falls short of being HOF worthy. It's a new era of evaluating stats and if Buehrle can continue to be productive for another 3-5 years who knows how a younger pool of HOF voters will see it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.