White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Alec Hansen is now up to 4 IP without giving up a run or hit. K:BB is 7:2. This looks like the ace pitcher from 2017, not the guy who couldn't find the plate last season. Has anyone heard a recent update on what the plan is with him moving forward?
Well, he's throwing an inning at a time, and he's thrown all of four innings. I think we might check back in around the All Star break.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Well, he's throwing an inning at a time, and he's thrown all of four innings. I think we might check back in around the All Star break.
Good, let him rebuild his confidence. No rush at all. If he can find a rhythm again and get back to being the guy he was two years ago then he'll rise quickly through the ranks once he's fully back in sync.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-16-2019, 06:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It's good to see Madrigal has shaken off his slow start. It would be great to see him bat .360 or something and silence the doubters.
Madrigal and Robert are showing that they are men among boys at A+. Thereís room to move them to Birmingham now, with corresponding moves that would make sense based on solid/hot starts:

Joel Booker is off to a torrid start; he easily could go to Charlotte to make room for Robert in the Birmingham OF. And both Tilson and Cordell are hitting well enough at Charlotte to earn promotion to Chicago. Maybe Palka goes on the IL with a case of rectal-cranial inversion.

In the infield, if you can make the case that Palkaís condition was transmitted to Yolmer (no doubt from contaminated Gatorade) and thus he also requires an IL stint, then either Ryan Goins or Alcides Escobar could come to Chicago. This makes room in the Charlotte infield for Trey Michalczewski to come up from Birmingham, which makes room for Madrigal in Birmingham.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Charlie Tilson is not on the 40-man. If someone trades places with Daniel Palka, it should be Ryan Cordell.

We don’t really need both Preston Tucker and Brandon Guyer. One of those guys can go to make room for promotions.

Rick Hahn may be waiting until Jon Jay comes back before he makes any moves.

Last edited by Mohoney; 04-16-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Charlie Tilson is not on the 40-man. If someone trades places with Daniel Palka, it should be Ryan Cordell.

We donít really need both Preston Tucker [i]and[/] Brandon Guyer. One of those guys can go to make room for promotions.

Good points, all. I had forgotten about Tilson not being on the 40-man roster.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Also, Cordell was sent down on April 7. So, if I'm not mistaken I don't think he's eligible to be recalled back to Chicago for 10 days (which would be tomorrow).
Old 04-16-2019, 07:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

We don’t really need both Preston Tucker [i]and[/] Brandon Guyer. One of those guys can go to make room for promotions.

Jay, speaking of another one we don't need. Is he really much better than Tucker or Guyer, much less the question of why him when the Sox could actually sustain a gain if any of Tilson/Palka/Cordell finally figured things out. Yes, Tilson, Frater's man, who's hitting the hell out of the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Great outing by Cease today, Fulmer with a nice 2 IP stint (ERA now 1.29).
I still hold out hope - a lot of raw talent there. With his delivery issues, it may legitimately take him a while but could finally pull it together. Fulmer still walks too many. Covey too is pitching well... I've seen periods of excellence out of Covey (albeit short periods) that I've never seen out of Burr and others. Considering Charlotte has guys like Roach in the rotation, I would if they shouldn't start Fulmer some perhaps in tandem with Covey to be one of those combo-starters (whatever Tampa calls them). If Fulmer doesn't harness his control, that will be a problem whether reliever or starter.

Last edited by Tragg; 04-16-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Madrigal and Robert are showing that they are men among boys at A+. Thereís room to move them to Birmingham now, with corresponding moves that would make sense based on solid/hot starts:

Joel Booker is off to a torrid start; he easily could go to Charlotte to make room for Robert in the Birmingham OF. And both Tilson and Cordell are hitting well enough at Charlotte to earn promotion to Chicago. Maybe Palka goes on the IL with a case of rectal-cranial inversion.

In the infield, if you can make the case that Palkaís condition was transmitted to Yolmer (no doubt from contaminated Gatorade) and thus he also requires an IL stint, then either Ryan Goins or Alcides Escobar could come to Chicago. This makes room in the Charlotte infield for Trey Michalczewski to come up from Birmingham, which makes room for Madrigal in Birmingham.
I think they make these moves in about 2 weeks or so-Yolmer seems to be "stabilizing" a bit, but I like Escobar as next man up if needed- solid defense and fundamentals which this team needs while we wait for Madrigal.

I'm ready for Cordell ASAP- it's nice to see Tilson doing well- but with his weak arm and no power- hard to see him as anything more than a 5th OF.

Bookers a little older- but it's nice to see a (fringe) prospect do well at AA and not hit the wall there like so many others.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Jay, speaking of another one we don't need. Is he really much better than Tucker or Guyer, much less the question of why him when the Sox could actually sustain a gain if any of Tilson/Palka/Cordell finally figured things out. Yes, Tilson, Frater's man, who's hitting the hell out of the ball.

I still hold out hope - a lot of raw talent there. With his delivery issues, it may legitimately take him a while but could finally pull it together. Fulmer still walks too many. Covey too is pitching well... I've seen periods of excellence out of Covey (albeit short periods) that I've never seen out of Burr and others. Considering Charlotte has guys like Roach in the rotation, I would if they shouldn't start Fulmer some perhaps in tandem with Covey to be one of those combo-starters (whatever Tampa calls them). If Fulmer doesn't harness his control, that will be a problem whether reliever or starter.
I'd be inclined to keep it simple for Fulmer- 1-2 inning stints in the 6th-8th innings - he's actually had very little success at AAA- 5.36 career AAA ERA, 1.54 WHiP- if he can show sustained success over a few months- give him a shot in the bigs in the 2nd half.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Rick Hahn should wait until John Jay comes back before releasing Jon Jay.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Rick Hahn should wait until John Jay comes back before releasing Jon Jay.
I dislike the idea of Jon Jay being an everyday OF on this team as much as anyone here, but I dislike the idea of Daniel Palka being an everyday OF on this team even more. Activating Jay may be the only way to get Palka out of the OF equation.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

I agree on Robert - what he's doing is pretty crazy. He's ready for AA. I think he could go there without Booker being promoted; that would make 5 players for 4 spots between OF and DH which is just fine.

Madrigal I don't think is at that level yet. He's really only had a nice 3-game hot streak, albeit one that has pushed his season average up above .350. But for him, the most important thing is developing some power to go along with his hit tool/defense. The best place for that development might just be feasting on inferior pitching, where he has more margin for error, as opposed to at a higher level in a home park that tends to suppress power.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Madrigal I don't think is at that level yet. He's really only had a nice 3-game hot streak, albeit one that has pushed his season average up above .350. But for him, the most important thing is developing some power to go along with his hit tool/defense. The best place for that development might just be feasting on inferior pitching, where he has more margin for error, as opposed to at a higher level in a home park that tends to suppress power.
Understood. The fact that Regions Field plays large and suppresses home run totals is exactly why I don't put much stock in the home run totals for any White Sox prospect at the AA level. As long as they hit for decent average and lots of doubles at Birmingham, then I'm willing to see if some of those doubles turn into homers in Charlotte.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Nice night at Kanny by Walker and Stiever- along with Pilkington- some 2018 draft choices that look like they'll be in Winston Salem some time this season.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 PM
WSI High Priest

It's getting ridiculous with Robert at WS- another great night.

Lambert dominated in his start with Birmingham- he's on track to be in Charlotte by July. Booker, Gonzalez, Adolfo, and Rivera a combined 0-17 tonight.

I've never been a big fan of Tilson- but hitting hitting .382 with a 1.000+ OPS, he deserves a shot. Escobar is playing very well- not a prospect- but nice veteran depth.
Closed Thread