Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 08:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Over Moncadaís .950 OBP? Hell no!
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I assumed that was a typo and he meant .950 OPS.
Yes, .950 OPS. I fixed it.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 10-11-2019, 08:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Yes, .950 OPS. I fixed it.
Was the .480 OBP a typo as well? Your comment wasn't grounded in reality at either end.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Was the .480 OBP a typo as well? Your comment wasn't grounded in reality at either end.
Oh come on it would only be 40th on the all time single season list. It's not THAT outrageous...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-11-2019, 09:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
See below.

Quote:
Oh come on it would only be 40th on the all time single season list. It's not THAT outrageous...
Old 10-11-2019, 09:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
See below.
Are you actually serious that you think Madrigal could have a .480 OBP? Madrigal doesn't even walk all that much.

The only guys that have OBP's in that range are power hitters that are walked intentionally all the time. Think Barry Bonds on steriods in the early 00's. Nobody is going to be walking Madrigal intentionally.

I'm not saying that Madrigal doesn't have a future as an MLB player. I'm excited to see him debut next season. But let's keep the conversation grounded in reality. The high end for his OBP will be around .375.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Are you actually serious that you think Madrigal could have a .480 OBP?
No.

Quote:
The only guys that have OBP's in that range are power hitters that are walked intentionally all the time. Think Barry Bonds on steriods in the early 00's. Nobody is going to be walking Madrigal intentionally.

I'm not saying that Madrigal doesn't have a future as an MLB player. I'm excited to see him debut next season. But let's keep the conversation grounded in reality. The high end for his OBP will be around .375.
Choose whatever numbers you like. The salient point is that Madrigal could produce well enough that you want him batting in front of power hitters at the top of the lineup. We don’t know enough yet to dismiss the idea. The numbers I put forth are just for conversation.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The salient point is that Madrigal could produce well enough that you want him batting in front of power hitters at the top of the lineup.
And he would be, just not in his 1st plate appearance.

I donít want a sub-.700 OPS getting the most plate appearances on the team and having the highest likelihood of getting a meaningful plate appearance in the 9th inning down by a run.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:04 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
And he would be, just not in his 1st plate appearance.

I donít want a sub-.700 OPS getting the most plate appearances on the team and having the highest likelihood of getting a meaningful plate appearance in the 9th inning down by a run.
I think Madrigal will push .800 OPS fairly easily fairly early on. Most of it will be due to OBP.

You know for someone claiming they arenít competing Madrigal to Leary you keep doing a damned good job of it...
Old 10-11-2019, 11:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think Madrigal will push .800 OPS fairly easily fairly early on. Most of it will be due to OBP.

You know for someone claiming they arenít competing Madrigal to Leary you keep doing a damned good job of it...
Iím not saying it will happen long-term, but Iím sure as hell not penciling in an .800 OPS from a rookie who has shown minimal power up to this point. I think it will be closer to .700 than .800, and yes, perhaps even lower than .700. Plus the manager is such a ****ing stooge that it could take half a season or longer for the proper adjustment to be made.

Iím not saying the guy doesnít have exceptional bat-to-ball skills. The guy is a top 50 prospect on multiple lists for a reason. What Iím saying is that those exceptional bat-to-ball skills have less value in todayís game than at any other point in the gameís history.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The only guys that have OBP's in that range are power hitters that are walked intentionally all the time. ...
I would find on-base percentage a more significant statistic if it excluded intentional walks, especially in the age of being waved to first without seeing a pitch. Reaching first on an error for catcher's interference doesn't contribute to a hitter's on-base percentage, and neither should intentional walks.

An intentional walk is initiated by the defense as advantageous to the defense. For the White Sox this year, Yonder Alonso has as many intentional walks as Yoan Moncada in half the games. For that matter, Alonso in 251 plate appearances walked 29 times, and Moncada in 551 plate appearances walked at a substantially lower rate, just 40 times.

The more walks you draw to generate your on-base percentage, the more times you are waved to first base, the less important your on-base percentage is.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:49 PM
WSI High Priest

I'd think you'd want to maximize the amount of times your best hitters are batting with men on base or in scoring position rather than simply the amount of over all times to the plate.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I'd think you'd want to maximize the amount of times your best hitters are batting with men on base or in scoring position rather than simply the amount of over all times to the plate.
With homers flying out of the park at the rate they do, get your best hitters those extra plate appearances. Minimize the chances of them being left on deck when the 3rd out of the 9th inning is made.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:41 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Injuries took playing time from Anderson, Eloy and Moncada though. If they hadn't missed a month or more each they'd have been right there.
Leury was out 22 times as well.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
What I’m saying is that those exceptional bat-to-ball skills have less value in today’s game than at any other point in the game’s history.
Earlier, on another post, or possible this one you used the dreaded word balance.
If the kid finds a way on, it is possible that one of the RBI guys drive him in.

If you keep building teams around a boom or bust mentality you'll continue to find teams that find a way around that and win.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 10-12-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Having a lead off hitter who sprays line drives to all fields for high average, seems like a good thing to me . when did a player become obsolete because he doesn't hit the ball out of the park . don't you need table setters to put runs on the board . i miss the stolen base, moving guys over, going first to third, and the hit and run . i'm hoping that this all or nothing home run craze will fade away . maybe they will stop using super balls next year.