White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 07:58 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
Dallas Keuchel and Madison Bumgarner are still out there. They BOTH have post season experience and WS rings. 1 or both would be appreciated. Please, Rick Hahn, for the love of God, don't make Sox fans settle for Julio Tehran.

I'd mention Gerritt Cole, but the Sox have ZERO chance of signing him.
Strasburg is out there, he has a WS ring, and the chances of signing him have to be a little higher than zero.

Strasburg or bust.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:02 PM
WSI Prelate

The Sox can't land the big fish narrative lives on... Have to land one of the top 2 SP now, can't move backwards.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The Sox can't land the big fish narrative lives on... Have to land one of the top 2 SP now, can't move backwards.
Why should that bother White Sox fans when the money, reportedly more than the Phillies offered, was on the table?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 12-05-2019 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:42 AM
WSI Personality

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...46871182467072

Omar NarvŠez might get traded to Milwaukee. I wonder what Seattle will get for him.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Why should that bother White Sox fans when the money, reportedly more than the Phillies offered, was on the table?
Woulda bet that before the end of this thread it would be our fault anyway and you maroons didn't fail me.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...46871182467072

Omar NarvŠez might get traded to Milwaukee. I wonder what Seattle will get for him.
RHP Adam Hill (Milwaukeeís #24 prospect) and a Competitive Balance draft pick (#71 overall, but subject to a slight move downward depending on QO free agents).
Old 12-05-2019, 10:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Because it belies the truth - that the organization isn't willing to spend enough to sign free agents. They aren't admitting their reality, one where guys don't want to come here. It's a rebuilding team with a long track record of losing, and a history of coming up short on marquee talent. You can't just outbid teams. You have to blow them away to convert.

The Phillies are a better team, have been competitive for two straight years, and signed (at the time) the largest deal for a marquee free agent in history last offseason. Meanwhile, the Sox haven't sniffed .500 in forever and fell $50 million short in a very public failure to sign a player of note last offseason.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Woulda bet that before the end of this thread it would be our fault anyway and you maroons didn't fail me.
It is the Sox fault that they are in the wrong time zone. He wanted East Coast.

Should have move to Tampa/St. Pete instead of building a new stadium...ÖÖ...

Old 12-05-2019, 10:58 AM
WSI Prelate

I get with Wheeler his wife didnít want to move, but why is it okay that there is ALWAYS and excuse on why we donít deliver? We spend more time apologizing for our front offices total failure in free agency than cheering for it. I get we can sign Keuchel and some people will proclaim he is a top rotation arm, but to always come up short sucks.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I get with Wheeler his wife didn’t want to move, but why is it okay that there is ALWAYS and excuse on why we don’t deliver? We spend more time apologizing for our front offices total failure in free agency than cheering for it. I get we can sign Keuchel and some people will proclaim he is a top rotation arm, but to always come up short sucks.
It sucks, and the majority are very disappointed.

He got ~$ to play an hour down the road from his extended family, that can’t be a bad thing. Combine that with recent play and moves from both franchises and I think we needed to put in more quite a bit more money to change that situation. Phillies are attractive to play for and they are shelling out the dough for their targets.

I don’t think anyone will do the Keuchel thing.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I get with Wheeler his wife didnít want to move, but why is it okay that there is ALWAYS and excuse on why we donít deliver? We spend more time apologizing for our front offices total failure in free agency than cheering for it. I get we can sign Keuchel and some people will proclaim he is a top rotation arm, but to always come up short sucks.
I guess one person's explanation is another's excuse. Total failure? Sox signed a catcher recently, no? I wanted the Sox to sign Wheeler too and am disappointed they didn't. Not everyone's first reaction is to point fingers.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 12-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
How is Wheeler a "front office failure" when unchangeable geography carried the day? I guess the Sox should have moved to Hoboken, New Jersey.

The only way he was going to sign with us would be if he divorced his wife and that would be a very expensive proposition considering his new payday.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Maybe. Maybe 4 million more annually changes his mind. I donít know.
Iím just tired of always hearing why a guy didnít sign here. Equally as tired of nothing but second third and bottom tier FA.

For an organization that doesnít have one proven top end talent, I personally would like to see that changed, immediately.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Maybe. Maybe 4 million more annually changes his mind. I donít know.
Iím just tired of always hearing why a guy didnít sign here. Equally as tired of nothing but second third and bottom tier FA.

For an organization that doesnít have one proven top end talent, I personally would like to see that changed, immediately.
Money was not the issue. They wanted to live near the family. I guess a one billion dollar deal would have worked so he could relocate all of their family members to the Chicago would have swung the deal.

Also, the White Sox have no "proven top end talent"? Really?
Old 12-05-2019, 12:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Money was not the issue. They wanted to live near the family. I guess a one billion dollar deal would have worked so he could relocate all of their family members to the Chicago would have swung the deal.

Also, the White Sox have no "proven top end talent"? Really?
Illinois state income tax negates the higher overall dollar figure. The state taxes make the Sox offer a lower offer in take-home pay. Again, not necessarily assessing blame here, but it is something to be considered.

As for “proven top-end talent,” I agree with Dome. Giolito, Moncada, and TA all only have their 2020 excellence as proof. As far as multiple seasons of excellence, the only guy that comes to mind is Grandal.
Closed Thread