White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 09:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Forgetting the fiance story...if you told me the Phillies offered $120 million, I'd have told you we needed to offer $140 million for him to pass that opportunity up.
What your saying makes no sense at all. For you to make a statement like that would require you to be able to read Wheelers mind! Wheeler chose Philadelphia so time to move on and go after other starters through free agency and trades.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Forgetting the fiance story...if you told me the Phillies offered $120 million, I'd have told you we needed to offer $140 million for him to pass that opportunity up.
The Phils are a couple years ahead of us in their rebuild and offer a more sure footing for the immediate future, so I can’t blame him for making the choice. You have to really believe in this plan to take the pittance more money and turn down better odds at winning at this point.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:08 PM
WSI Regular

All I know is I'm depressed over this. I was really hoping for Wheeler. Crap!
Old 12-04-2019, 10:13 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Here's an idea. Sign Rendon; then trade Moncada for a TOR pitcher.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
The Phils are a couple years ahead of us in their rebuild and offer a more sure footing for the immediate future, so I canít blame him for making the choice. You have to really believe in this plan to take the pittance more money and turn down better odds at winning at this point.
The Phils rebuild has stagnated; we're up a creek if we're only at .500 in 2 years.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:22 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I'd rather trade Cease or Kopech then do that. Money could be spent elsewhere than on Rendon.

And to be clear I don't want to trade Cease or Kopech, just saying of the options that would be better.

Heck wave Lopez, Collins, Sheets and other prospects around and see what teams offer.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-04-2019, 10:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The Phils rebuild has stagnated; we're up a creek if we're only at .500 in 2 years.
They are at least playing 500 ball, have already invested heavily into their rebuild and have had much more immediate success.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Cease might be a top of the rotation starter at least in the same sense of one in his prime we could trade for: a number 2 hyped as a #1.
And that would cost 3 Ceases.
Rather do nothing than more dog and pony shows.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:57 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I'd rather trade Cease or Kopech then do that. Money could be spent elsewhere than on Rendon.

And to be clear I don't want to trade Cease or Kopech, just saying of the options that would be better.

Heck wave Lopez, Collins, Sheets and other prospects around and see what teams offer.
Trading Cease or Kopech doesn't help much because then you'd have to replace them. You still end up paying too much for a Keuchel or Ryu.

Signing Rendon would convert salary flexibility into an MVP caliber player, albeit at an unexpected position. And it would free the Sox to cash in on Moncada's sky-high trade value.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Trading Cease or Kopech doesn't help much because then you'd have to replace them. You still end up paying too much for a Keuchel or Ryu.

Signing Rendon would convert salary flexibility into an MVP caliber player, albeit at an unexpected position. And it would free the Sox to cash in on Moncada's sky-high trade value.
Rather throw 8/280 at Cole and see if he blinks.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The point of signing Rendon would be to move Moncada back to 2B and put out a truly elite lineup every day, not to turn around and flip Moncada for a pitcher.

Moncada, Jimenez, and Robert are the core position players of this rebuild. Kopech, Cease, and now Giolito are the core starting pitchers. Right now, this rebuild delivers a championship if and only if all 6 of those guys become really good MLB players.

Adding a guy like Rendon to a lineup that already includes those 3, plus Grandal, plus TA, plus Abreu would be a great move. Itís certainly better than adding any of the rumored RF targets. In 2021, add Vaughn at 1B and Madrigal as a Swiss army knife to put the finishing touches on a devastating lineup.

At that point, just let Engel play a great defensive CF and do whatever the hell he can do as a #9 hitter. 2020 basically would be his last chance to do something in a White Sox uniform. By that point, hopefully someone emerges from the wreckage that used to be our outfield depth, unless Engel somehow starts smacking the **** out of the ball with all that protection in the lineup and earns the job.

Ideally, 2021 would look something like this:

LF: Eloy (just live with the ridiculousness I guess)

CF: Robert (unless Engel shocks the world)

RF: TBD (unless Robert is playing here)

3B: Rendon

SS: TA (unless he shows that he is not capable)

2B: Moncada (unless he shows that he is not capable)

1B: Vaughn (unless he needs more time in the minors)

C: Grandal

DH: Abreu

Madrigal, backup C, TBD, TBD

This hedges against lots of different bad scenarios, like Vaughn not being ready by 2021, TA not being able to play SS, or someone suffering a devastating injury.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
They are at least playing 500 ball, have already invested heavily into their rebuild and have had much more immediate success.
Yeah but their SP is spotty at best and they play in the toughest division in baseball at present and are going to be going up against the Braves for the next decade.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
Guys like that may get you a 5th starter-type or a rental RF like Joc Pederson, but thatís about it.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah but their SP is spotty at best and they play in the toughest division in baseball at present and are going to be going up against the Braves for the next decade.
Iím not saying I agree with the odds when you look at all the peripherals, just saying they currently present better ones than us.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
They've won nothing. Not WS titles, no success.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Closed Thread