White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 02:55 PM
WSI Personality

Default Hot Stove 5

Daniel Hudson is about to re-sign with the Nats
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...79309151617033

Who else can we get for the bullpen?
Old 01-06-2020, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

It feels like the Sox just aren't/weren't that crazy with some of the RP names left on the FA market. Look for them to add via trade before the season, or possibly wait and acquire a guy or 2 in July that's having a good season.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:20 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't mind the hesitation, there is only 1 or 2 arms I like out there now, and with how stupid of a signing Herrera has turned into, limiting the number of those we have is positive.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Brandon Kintzler had a decent season on the north side last year. He made $5m last season. Maybe the Sox can sign him for one year at half that amount?

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 01-06-2020, 04:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
It feels like the Sox just aren't/weren't that crazy with some of the RP names left on the FA market. Look for them to add via trade before the season, or possibly wait and acquire a guy or 2 in July that's having a good season.
I would 100% echo their sentiment if that's hows they feel. I'd rather roll the dice with our own cast, for now, unless there's good value trades to be made.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:16 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I would 100% echo their sentiment if that's hows they feel. I'd rather roll the dice with our own cast, for now, unless there's good value trades to be made.
Most relief pitchers are unpredictable from year to year. I wouldn't be surprised if Fry and Herrera were good for us this year, with Colome, Bummer and Marshall regressing. I'm not saying that's going to happen, just don't be surprised if it does.

I agree that we shouldn't rush into anything if it's not a good value trade or signing. Spring training will provide a lot of clues on whether we truly need extra bullpen help.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubuqueSox View Post
Most relief pitchers are unpredictable from year to year. I wouldn't be surprised if Fry and Herrera were good for us this year, with Colome, Bummer and Marshall regressing. I'm not saying that's going to happen, just don't be surprised if it does.

I agree that we shouldn't rush into anything if it's not a good value trade or signing. Spring training will provide a lot of clues on whether we truly need extra bullpen help.
Yes to all this.

It is the most volatile position in the sport to fill on a year-to-year basis, and lots of these guys want 2-year commitments.

Any commitments of 3 or more years need to be made to guys who provide more than just 50-70 innings per year, unless those innings are dominant. For the $24 guaranteed to Harris and the $11 guaranteed to Hudson, I would rather see if the Cubs want to sell low on Craig Kimbrel to get under the luxury tax.

I would rather deal for Ian Kennedy and his 1 year of risk than Kimbrel’s 2 years of risk, but the Royals seem to be content with doing nothing this offseason and seeing if the offers get better in July. The Cubs may be more motivated to sell.

If we take back Chatwood’s bad 1-year money, they may even need to send us something to even it out. Give them Leury, Marshall, one of the outfield prospects, and some other insignificant considerations. Have them add Ian Happ.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yes to all this.

It is the most volatile position in the sport to fill on a year-to-year basis, and lots of these guys want 2-year commitments.

Any commitments of 3 or more years need to be made to guys who provide more than just 50-70 innings per year, unless those innings are dominant. For the $24 guaranteed to Harris and the $11 guaranteed to Hudson, I would rather see if the Cubs want to sell low on Craig Kimbrel to get under the luxury tax.

I would rather deal for Ian Kennedy and his 1 year of risk than Kimbrel’s 2 years of risk, but the Royals seem to be content with doing nothing this offseason and seeing if the offers get better in July. The Cubs may be more motivated to sell.

If we take back Chatwood’s bad 1-year money, they may even need to send us something to even it out. Give them Leury, Marshall, one of the outfield prospects, and some other insignificant considerations. Have them add Ian Happ.
It is funny you bring up Chatwood because he is a good I have been thinking of too. While I do not really want to help bail out the North Side, I think you could probably get a decent player back with him for nothing, I doubt we would even need to give up both guys you mentioned. He would be an interesting reclamation project, he was really good in Colorado.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Didn't see any mention of this, would be HUGE for Sox if the numbers and term came out anything like this. Imagining Moncada in his prime at $24M/yr and declining salaries after that....

https://twitter.com/HotStoveintel/st...389195778?s=20

Since I can't get the tweet to embed, here's a proposed (rumored?) contract structure for Moncada on a 9-yr extension. Other reports confirm that a deal is likely 8-10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotStoveIntel
Projected #WhiteSox Moncada Extension- 9Yrs $171M

Player Opt Out after '27

$5M Signing Bonus
'21 ARB-1 (26)- $8M
'22 ARB-2 (27)- $12M
'23 ARB-3 (28)- $18M
'24 FA-1 (29)- $24M
'25 FA-2 (30)- $24M
'26 FA-3 (31)- $22M
'27 FA-4 (32)- $20M

-
'28 FA-5 (33)- $20M
'29 FA-6 (34)- $18M
Old 02-25-2020, 10:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Get that deal done!!!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:32 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
Didn't see any mention of this, would be HUGE for Sox if the numbers and term came out anything like this. Imagining Moncada in his prime at $24M/yr and declining salaries after that....

https://twitter.com/HotStoveintel/st...389195778?s=20

Since I can't get the tweet to embed, here's a proposed (rumored?) contract structure for Moncada on a 9-yr extension. Other reports confirm that a deal is likely 8-10 years.
I'm always dubious of news about deals that come from accounts I've never heard of before.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I'm always dubious of news about deals that come from accounts I've never heard of before.
Fegan says Moncada is denying talks of contract extensions: https://twitter.com/jrfegan/status/1...296199168?s=21

I'm guessing talks of contract extensions are happening but Yoan was asked not to say anything about it.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Fegan says Moncada is denying talks of contract extensions: https://twitter.com/jrfegan/status/1...296199168?s=21

I'm guessing talks of contract extensions are happening but Yoan was asked not to say anything about it.
The news doesn’t really benefit him, either. It benefits nobody.

If nothing gets done, some fans will blame ownership for being cheap. Other fans will blame Moncada for being greedy. It’s best to deny it, if the denial can remain plausible.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:19 PM
WSI Prelate

It makes sense for Moncada to not be in talks right now. Moncada got a massive contract when he came over, so he is already insured for life from an injury. There is no reason for him to sign cheap, coming off a huge year. If he has another big year, and takes a step forward, we are in the 200 million range to keep him. He knows that, his agent knows that.

I really hope we keep him, but this isn't going to be a guy who locks up cheap. This is a guy where we deflect the savings from others into.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Yah that account has 2900 followers (which I am guessing is where it has jumped to since that post), follows practically no one, has a lot of opinion posts and some political. This is just a guy trolling.
Closed Thread