White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2020, 10:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Not a fan of moving any prospects of any value at this stage of the process.

I think we're still primarily building for 2021+, we can contend this year, and should be >.500- but closing gaps of >20 games with Minnesota and Cleveland in a single season is a real stretch.

Let's see how all the injured prospects do in 2020 (Kopech, Dunning, Burdi, Lambert, Basabe, Adolfo, Burger (is he still alive?)) as well as some others who kind of "stalled" last season (Hanson, Gonzalez), and the guys who are steadlily progressing (Vaughn, Stiever, Flores, Sheets, Rutherford)- then we can fill in the gaps as needed.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

I think we're still primarily building for 2021+, we can contend this year, and should be >.500- but closing gaps of >20 games with Minnesota and Cleveland in a single season is a real stretch.

Let's see how all the injured prospects do in 2020 (Kopech, Dunning, Burdi, Lambert, Basabe, Adolfo, Burger (is he still alive?)) as well as some others who kind of "stalled" last season (Hanson, Gonzalez), and the guys who are steadlily progressing (Vaughn, Stiever, Flores, Sheets, Rutherford)- then we can fill in the gaps as needed.
The group of 23-year old OFers in Adolfo, Basabe and Rutherford is one Iím looking very forward to seeing this year. Add in the 24-year old Gonzalez and you have some decent odds on someone bouncing back and establishing real value. Itís going to be interesting how they handle the spots in Charlotte, because Iím sure everyone wants to get out of Bham and into a park that builds confidence. Adolfo is the obvious hold back candidate with all the time missed, but all of them have a lot to prove.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Fry's s innings pitched and division between LH and RH batters faced were nearly identical in 2018 and 2019. But he basically doubled his walks allowed. Still, he has yet to allow a HR to a LH hitter in his career. I'd probably be just as comfortable with him as with hoping that McGee's problems are all Colorado related (his road numbers were less than exemplary as well)
In the era of 3 batter minimum, not sure that the "handness" of relievers makes much difference anyway.
I guess the Sox could get a veteran infielder; but the help there would be marginal, and I certainly wouldn't trade any pitching for it.
Yes. He nearly doubled his walks allowed. That is extremely sketchy to have as the only lefty to shoulder some of Bummerís workload. Besides, Fry can always get more innings by pitching better.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I donít see anyone advocating for that.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:26 AM
WSI Prelate

I like Fry. He certainly has his fair share of awful moments, but his 23% IRS is good stuff and he has shown stretches of dominance. A close look at his game log 7 of his 68 appearances make his stats vastly worse than he was overall - including 17 of the 33 (all) runs he let cross the plate all season. Those are the memorable moments, though and his rough start stuck out. He was definitely not afraid to walk a guy in 19, which was maddening and it shortened too many outings. He was definitely all over the place with regularity last season.

Purely from a viewing standpoint, I like his stuff and pitching style a lot. So far, he seems like a feel pitcher who will get in grooves and funks. I think he has decent odds at performing up to his 18 stats. Who knows with RPs, though?
Old 02-15-2020, 10:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

+1, although I could see us catching Cleveland...not because we'll win 90 games, but because there's a fair chance they hit a cliff.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
+1, although I could see us catching Cleveland...not because we'll win 90 games, but because there's a fair chance they hit a cliff.
Clevinger is going on the IL for a torn meniscus repair. IMO that knocks Cleveland down to our .500ish level. The big difference is that their manager will get them those 3 or 4 extra wins on the margins, while our manager will get us those 3 or 4 extra losses on the margins.