White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2020, 08:13 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Passan and Rosenthal are saying Betts and Price to the Dodgers is almost complete. Verdugo would be the centerpiece for Boston.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Reports that the Twins are also involved in the trade.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:32 PM

Rosenthal is saying it’s the Angels and they’d get Joc Peterson.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:44 PM

The Peterson trade is separate.

Twins are getting Maeda for a prospect that’s going to Boston.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Brusdar Graterol (the Twins top pitching prospect acc to MLB Pipeline) from the Twins to the Sawx as part of the Betts Price Maeda deal. This according to MLBtraderumors.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 02-04-2020, 09:31 PM
WSI High Priest

The return piece from the Angels in the Joc Pederson deal is infielder Luis Rengifo, again, according to MLBtraderumors.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Good move by the Dodgers getting the Twins involved. They only had to give up 1 good prospect for Betts and essentially traded Maeda for Price.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:27 PM
WSI High Priest

The Dodgers fans I know are ecstatic and I can't see a reason for them not to be.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 02-04-2020, 10:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think the Red Sox did pretty well in all of this. Verdugo is going too be good for the next 5 years for sure, and Graterol has legit upside and is MLB ready. Sucks giving up Betts, but he had 1 year left, and they might be able to get him back in FA. Dumping a lot of Price's contract helps them out as well.

Not particularly worried about the Twins getting Maeda and his career 4.63 ERA in the AL, plus he doesn't go deep into games. Not sure he warranted giving up their top pitching prospect, but they are clearly in win now mode with the Donaldson acquisition.

Dodgers lineup is loaded now.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:38 PM
WSI Personality

Adding Maeda definitely is a boost to the Twins rotation. It gives them 5 legitimate starters to start the season, with Hill arriving mid-season for additional depth.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Graterol is no small price. He was filthy.

Twins are pushing in chips on the now, seeing us build toward the immediate future and the rest of the division rebuilding. We’ll see how it pans out, but I envision a future with Maeda in the bullpen.

Last edited by KRS1; 02-04-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:41 AM
WSI High Priest

This trade looks like a win for everybody. The Dodgers are sick of losing, even though they got hosed twice by cheating, the red Sox can get rid of Prices contract, and get a guy who's going to rake, and a real good arm, while the Twins get some more starting pitching.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:21 AM
WSI Personality

I want to know why the Angels needed yet another outfielder with the Joc Pederson trade. They need pitching.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:10 AM
WSI Prelate

This mlb.com article lists 7 winners from this trade. Look at who they list as #7.
https://www.mlb.com/news/mookie-betts-trade-winners

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Graterol is no small price. He was filthy.

Twins are pushing in chips on the now, seeing us build toward the immediate future and the rest of the division rebuilding. We’ll see how it pans out, but I envision a future with Maeda in the bullpen.

Might be good for the Sox long-term that the Twins traded a top 100 pitching prospect for a pitcher who is good, but will be 32 this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
This trade looks like a win for everybody. The Dodgers are sick of losing, even though they got hosed twice by cheating, the red Sox can get rid of Prices contract, and get a guy who's going to rake, and a real good arm, while the Twins get some more starting pitching.

Yep, 7 straight NL West titles, gargantuan payroll, and no WS title to show for it. I don't blame them for going all in with Betts this year.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:02 PM
WSI High Priest

If you think the Red Sox should be cash-strapped, sure it's a win to dump Price. But from a straight baseball perspective, for a team that's one of the richest in the sport, dealing Betts and Price for Verdugo and Graterol is a) not a great start to a rebuild/retool and b) not a win-now move. Red Sox would have been far far better off had they simply dumped Price w cash and traded Betts solo for a better return, or just keep Price and trade Betts (which saves you like $27M right there).

If I was a BoSox fan, this would be . As a White Sox fan, sure Maeda is better than what the Twins had 2 days ago, but he doesn't scare me. If they regress on O and the Sox guys are what we expect, it'll be a dogfight, and 2021 I would favor us.

As a Dodgers or Angels fan, I love this deal. LAD especially gave up little and got a ton. Have to be the favorites by far in the NL, and potentially the WS (tied with the Sox, "It's our time.")
https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/...123650/photo/1