White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2020, 11:49 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

The best way to expand the appeal is to expand internationally. How about putting teams in Mexico City, San Juan, and Santo Domingo? (Havana and Caracas would be even better, but not feasible now. Panama City could also support a team.)

Have geographically organized divisions instead of the overlapping AL and NL. Miami-Tampa-San Juan-Santo Domingo would rock. So would Houston-Dallas-Mexico City-Arizona. Of course, no AL/NL means resolving the DH inconsistency, one way or the other.

Too many teams? Contract the Cubs.

Oh, and I hate the wild cards. One at most on each side of the playoff bracket, please.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
New Orleans, Buffalo and Oklahoma City could also support teams.

I don't see any of those cities supporting teams. For Montreal is isn't a hypothetical. New Orleans is a disaster from an an environmental/infrastructure perspective as it would apply to an MLB home season. There are current MLB cities that can't/won't support MLB teams, and any move for those franchises would be an eventual downgrade.

Expanding the postseason (playoffs are sometimes necessary regular season things, as defined in Section 10 of the MLB rule book) would be lunacy.

If any of this comes to pass, there is an excellent chance that neither I nor any of my descendants will ever watch Major League Baseball again.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
The best way to expand the appeal is to expand internationally. How about putting teams in Mexico City, San Juan, and Santo Domingo? (Havana and Caracas would be even better, but not feasible now. Panama City could also support a team.)

Have geographically organized divisions instead of the overlapping AL and NL. Miami-Tampa-San Juan-Santo Domingo would rock. So would Houston-Dallas-Mexico City-Arizona. Of course, no AL/NL means resolving the DH inconsistency, one way or the other.

Too many teams? Contract the Cubs.

Oh, and I hate the wild cards. One at most on each side of the playoff bracket, please.
Outside of logistics, the long answer is way too political. The short one is safety concerns are very real and not getting better, and I agree with that side vehemently.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:01 AM
WSI High Priest

The more I think about this proposal, the more I like it. Some thoughts below:
  • The expanded wildcard has been an unmitigated success for baseball. It has added excitement to the final weeks of the regular season, it has added strategic depth to the postseason (specifically for handling pitching staffs), and the games themselves are LIT. I went to the NL WC game in 2019 and it was the most intense baseball game I ever attended, the crowd was more like a college football crowd than a baseball crowd. It is natural that Manfred should want to expand on this success.

• The CBA renegotiation is coming up. MLBPA is mad as hell about declining salaries for free agents. Expanding the number of teams who are in the playoff hunt each year will reduce tanking and raise player salaries. Consider this expanded playoff as an alternative to reducing the number of years of initial team control, something that would be devastating to the White Sox.

• Having teams select their first-round playoff opponent adds both strategic depth and excitement to the postseason. Do you just pick the team with the worst record, or the team you match up best against? It also creates a natural storyline, the team being picked first will immediately have bulletin board material. The MLB playoffs will be a much bigger news event with this proposal in place.

• If you think the one-game WC playoff is an abomination, this proposal gets rid of it for a best-of-3 series instead.

• Changing the structure of the playoffs is far preferable to changing gameplay itself. I'd rather have Manfred spending his free time thinking up ways to restructure the playoffs, as opposed to changing the actual rules of the game.

"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 02-11-2020, 08:48 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
San Antonio, Charlotte NC, Portland and maybe Montreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
New Orleans, Buffalo and Oklahoma City could also support teams.

Charlotte, Portland, and Montreal - yes. Perhaps San Antonio, too. I doubt that N.O., Buffalo, or OK City could support a MLB team, though.

My wild guess: Expansion teams to Montreal and Portland and the Rays move to Charlotte by the end of the decade.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
  • The expanded wildcard has been an unmitigated success for baseball. It has added excitement to the final weeks of the regular season, it has added strategic depth to the postseason (specifically for handling pitching staffs), and the games themselves are LIT. I went to the NL WC game in 2019 and it was the most intense baseball game I ever attended, the crowd was more like a college football crowd than a baseball crowd. It is natural that Manfred should want to expand on this success.
  • The CBA renegotiation is coming up. MLBPA is mad as hell about declining salaries for free agents. Expanding the number of teams who are in the playoff hunt each year will reduce tanking and raise player salaries. Consider this expanded playoff as an alternative to reducing the number of years of initial team control, something that would be devastating to the White Sox.
  • Having teams select their first-round playoff opponent adds both strategic depth and excitement to the postseason. Do you just pick the team with the worst record, or the team you match up best against? It also creates a natural storyline, the team being picked first will immediately have bulletin board material. The MLB playoffs will be a much bigger news event with this proposal in place.
  • If you think the one-game WC playoff is an abomination, this proposal gets rid of it for a best-of-3 series instead.
  • Changing the structure of the playoffs is far preferable to changing gameplay itself. I'd rather have Manfred spending his free time thinking up ways to restructure the playoffs, as opposed to changing the actual rules of the game.

I have no problem with the current one-game WC playoff. That creates a higher hurdle for teams that don't win their division while not letting the first place teams sit idle for 5 days.

There is a fallacy in our society that more is always better. Everyone loves elimination games, so let's make TWELVE of them!!!! The expanded playoffs proposal will mean 4 full rounds of playoffs for MLB. I just think most fans except for those of the specific teams playing are going to tune out the "wild card" round and perhaps division series and lose interest because MLB playoffs are too long. I don't see those being huge ratings bonanzas for TBS/ESPN/FS1/MLB Network.

Maybe total baseball die hards will like even more playoff rounds, but this isn't going to bring in more fans.

If they really want to expand the playoffs, they should do it after they expand to 32 teams at which point they'll probably split the leagues into 4 divisions with 4 teams each.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Buffalo lost an NBA team years ago, but seem to do okay with NHL and NFL.

Nawlins has NBA and NFL, but as pointed out by others a sketchy environmental situation.

San Antonio would make it 3 teams in Texas, same with Buffalo and NY.

California has a lot of teams already, LA, SD, SF, Oakland, and the Angels.

It wasn't long ago MLB was considering contracting a couple of teams, notably MN.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post

I strongly disagree with the first two points you made. I think that while the atmosphere at those games is undoubtedly intense, teams don't really value those spots. The expanded wild card has made teams value winning the division more, which is good, but it means the mindset has become division or bust and that leads to more tanking. Having half the teams make the playoffs won't really solve that, it will just mean you have some sub .500 teams make the playoffs like in the NBA. It also completely negates the value of 162 game season, where theoretically the cream is supposed to rise to the top. I think you'll also see the elite teams stop competing a LOT sooner, which will mean crappier baseball in August and September, which I think will wind up hurting attendance.

I also don't think more TV money would inherently lead to more spending on free agents.

I think a better idea would be to expand to 32 teams, create four divisions and only the division winners make the playoffs. No wild cards.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

This idea seems like another wacky idea floated by MLB as a pre-negotiation CBA tactic. 20 years ago MLB floated the idea of retracting the Twins....who surprise, surprise...then got a new stadium.

For the record, I liked the 1 game play-in game for the 4th spot before it was announced and have liked it since. Make the 4th and 5th best teams battle for that final spot.

But if MLB really wants to expand the playoffs, they should go back to 154 games...but that won't happen.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:59 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I strongly disagree with the first two points you made. I think that while the atmosphere at those games is undoubtedly intense, teams don't really value those spots. The expanded wild card has made teams value winning the division more, which is good, but it means the mindset has become division or bust and that leads to more tanking. Having half the teams make the playoffs won't really solve that, it will just mean you have some sub .500 teams make the playoffs like in the NBA. It also completely negates the value of 162 game season, where theoretically the cream is supposed to rise to the top. I think you'll also see the elite teams stop competing a LOT sooner, which will mean crappier baseball in August and September, which I think will wind up hurting attendance.

I also don't think more TV money would inherently lead to more spending on free agents.

I think a better idea would be to expand to 32 teams, create four divisions and only the division winners make the playoffs. No wild cards.
If 32 teams than 4 divisions is natural. Then there can be two WC and they can start a 3-game series on Tuesday after the season ends with the two lower seeded division winners facing the two WC. No day off and play all three games in the division winners stadium. Start the divisional round on Saturday. Won't add that many days to the schedule and does expand the playoffs.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-11-2020, 10:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post

I think what's missing from your analysis is the fact that it will now matter what your record is relative to the other division winners. Under Manfred's proposal, not only do you want to win your division, you also want a better W-L record than the other division winners because it confers meaningful benefit. This will make the regular season count more. In a year where all 3 divisions are obvious from April, those 3 elite teams will still care about one-upping each other.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmck003 View Post
I'd rather see them shorten the regular season, expand the wild card to best of three; division to 7, and World Series to 9. Maybe some of the extra playoff revenue could be split among all teams to make up for the lost regular season games.
I don't want playoff series extended. Maybe change the WC round to best of 3, but I wouldn't want the WS to be 9 games or division 7 games. Games would be going until the middle of November with that format. No thanks.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:07 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

1. Skip the playoffs and just give the White Sox the Trophy for 2020-2030
2. Nashville and Charlotte are due for a MLB franchise.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Amen.

Pitch clock. Enforce staying in the batters box.

Game problems solved.
Personally all these clocks and crap ideas to shorten the game bugs me. I spend a good buck to go enjoy myself stop trying to shorten the duration for what I pay for. Don't want to be afraid to get a hot dog and miss half a game because they rush through it, baseball is a patient game, and I like it that way. Hell Football games are just as long and no one complains.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIsHere View Post
Personally all these clocks and crap ideas to shorten the game bugs me. I spend a good buck to go enjoy myself stop trying to shorten the duration for what I pay for. Don't want to be afraid to get a hot dog and miss half a game because they rush through it, baseball is a patient game, and I like it that way. Hell Football games are just as long and no one complains.
Football games are once a week. Baseball is daily.

Also, while I may agree with you, we are not the target for these changes. We're not going anywhere regardless of what they do.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."