White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2018, 07:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Sale on DL again

I know there is a Sale thread but I'm watching the Rays-Carmines game and it was just announced that Sale has been put on the 10 day DL for the second time in a month. They are saying shoulder inflammation again but there could be something more serious. It's been predicted since he first came to the Majors that because of his delivery that he might run into some serious arm issues at some time in his career.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-18-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:11 PM
WSI Personality

Hopefully it's just extra caution since Boston is almost at 90 wins and can probably afford to give him some extra rest before the playoffs. But certainly concerning if you're a Red Sox fan.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:59 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
It's been predicted since he first came to the Majors that because of his delivery that he might run into some serious arm issues at some time in his career.
This is his ninth season in the majors. To say that the people who were concerned about his delivery were right because he's having some shoulder issues after nine seasons and almost 1500 innings is a bit of a stretch. You could say that about almost any pitcher coming into MLB and probably be right within that amount of time.

Besides, I thought it was the strain on his elbow that everyone was worried about. He has a low 3/4 arm slot. Shoulders are generally more taxed by coming straight over the top.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 08-19-2018, 02:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'd put near 1:1 odds on this being a phantom injury.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:53 AM
WSI Personality

Thing about Chris Sale is: he can be an amazing strikeout machine. He just can throw that many sliders for an entire season. He loves to show off striking guys out but that does not translate to late season effectiveness.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
I'd put near 1:1 odds on this being a phantom injury.

Yep...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-19-2018, 04:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Thing about Chris Sale is: he can be an amazing strikeout machine. He just can throw that many sliders for an entire season. He loves to show off striking guys out but that does not translate to late season effectiveness.

If he loves striking guys out why did he deviate from that love at the end of his White Sox career?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
This is his ninth season in the majors. To say that the people who were concerned about his delivery were right because he's having some shoulder issues after nine seasons and almost 1500 innings is a bit of a stretch. You could say that about almost any pitcher coming into MLB and probably be right within that amount of time.

Besides, I thought it was the strain on his elbow that everyone was worried about. He has a low 3/4 arm slot. Shoulders are generally more taxed by coming straight over the top.
I didn't say he has shoulder inflamation issues, the Red Sox did.
If you compare him to to some of the great pitchers of the last 40-50 years like Ryan, Seaver, Carlton and Maddox, Sale's mechanics leave something to be desired compared to those four I mentioned. I remember watching a TV story on a computer study that was done on Ryan and other pitchers and the findings concluded his mechanics were about as perfect as can be, Seaver was right behind him.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
If you compare him to to some of the great pitchers of the last 40-50 years like Ryan, Seaver, Carlton and Maddox, Sale's mechanics leave something to be desired compared to those four I mentioned. I remember watching a TV story on a computer study that was done on Ryan and other pitchers and the findings concluded his mechanics were about as perfect as can be, Seaver was right behind him.
I think it was more that you jumped from "shoulder inflamation" to "serious arm issues" really fast that set off the response. I admit I felt the exact same way when I saw your post, but I didn't feel like replying. I want to wait and see if the Red Sox are just trying to keep his innings and arm stress down to make sure he's fresh for the playoffs.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-19-2018, 12:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I think it was more that you jumped from "shoulder inflamation" to "serious arm issues" really fast that set off the response. I admit I felt the exact same way when I saw your post, but I didn't feel like replying. I want to wait and see if the Red Sox are just trying to keep his innings and arm stress down to make sure he's fresh for the playoffs.
I was going on speculation from the Rays announcers but one still has to wonder if this could be the start of something serious.
I'm hoping it's nothing serious even though he's not one of my favorite players anymore after his antics of 2016.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-19-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
If he loves striking guys out why did he deviate from that love at the end of his White Sox career?
Because Cooper was trying to steer him away from strikeouts in order to increase his effectiveness in September. It was widely reported.

I'm curious how this September will go since he has faded significantly every September (and most Augusts) except the year he was injured. He'd probably already have a couple of Cy Youngs if they gave them out on July 31.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:38 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Inflammation does not show up on x-rays. Easy to claim it since it really can't be proven (to skeptics at MLB's medical office).

Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
You completely missed my point. I was just saying that him having some issue now does not mean that people who said he'd have arm troubles because of his mechanics were right. He's logged nearly 1500 major-league innings and has not had any significant problems. I think he's pitched long enough to put that behind him.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:14 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I was going on speculation from the Rays announcers but one still has to wonder if this could be the start of something serious.
I'm hoping it's nothing serious even though he's not one of my favorite players anymore after his antics of 2016.
Well, you know, at the time of the big trade, White Sox brass announced basically "although Chris Sale is great, we expect his arm will fall off before the rest of the team is equally talented." So maybe this is happening as expected.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Well, you know, at the time of the big trade, White Sox brass announced basically "although Chris Sale is great, we expect his arm will fall off before the rest of the team is equally talented." So maybe this is happening as expected.

As expected? If true, nine years later?

I love such open ended predictions: they're so meaningless.