White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-18-2018, 07:08 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,386
Default Sale on DL again

I know there is a Sale thread but I'm watching the Rays-Carmines game and it was just announced that Sale has been put on the 10 day DL for the second time in a month. They are saying shoulder inflammation again but there could be something more serious. It's been predicted since he first came to the Majors that because of his delivery that he might run into some serious arm issues at some time in his career.
__________________
Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-18-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2018, 11:11 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,318
Default

Hopefully it's just extra caution since Boston is almost at 90 wins and can probably afford to give him some extra rest before the playoffs. But certainly concerning if you're a Red Sox fan.
__________________
TWTW
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2018, 12:59 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
It's been predicted since he first came to the Majors that because of his delivery that he might run into some serious arm issues at some time in his career.
This is his ninth season in the majors. To say that the people who were concerned about his delivery were right because he's having some shoulder issues after nine seasons and almost 1500 innings is a bit of a stretch. You could say that about almost any pitcher coming into MLB and probably be right within that amount of time.


Besides, I thought it was the strain on his elbow that everyone was worried about. He has a low 3/4 arm slot. Shoulders are generally more taxed by coming straight over the top.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2018, 02:34 AM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,172
Default

I'd put near 1:1 odds on this being a phantom injury.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2018, 02:53 AM
Falstaff Falstaff is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Humboldt County
Posts: 535
Default

Thing about Chris Sale is: he can be an amazing strikeout machine. He just can throw that many sliders for an entire season. He loves to show off striking guys out but that does not translate to late season effectiveness.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2018, 04:13 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
I'd put near 1:1 odds on this being a phantom injury.

Yep...
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2018, 04:14 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Thing about Chris Sale is: he can be an amazing strikeout machine. He just can throw that many sliders for an entire season. He loves to show off striking guys out but that does not translate to late season effectiveness.

If he loves striking guys out why did he deviate from that love at the end of his White Sox career?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2018, 11:34 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
This is his ninth season in the majors. To say that the people who were concerned about his delivery were right because he's having some shoulder issues after nine seasons and almost 1500 innings is a bit of a stretch. You could say that about almost any pitcher coming into MLB and probably be right within that amount of time.


Besides, I thought it was the strain on his elbow that everyone was worried about. He has a low 3/4 arm slot. Shoulders are generally more taxed by coming straight over the top.
I didn't say he has shoulder inflamation issues, the Red Sox did.
If you compare him to to some of the great pitchers of the last 40-50 years like Ryan, Seaver, Carlton and Maddox, Sale's mechanics leave something to be desired compared to those four I mentioned. I remember watching a TV story on a computer study that was done on Ryan and other pitchers and the findings concluded his mechanics were about as perfect as can be, Seaver was right behind him.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2018, 12:17 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 54,917
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I didn't say he has shoulder inflamation issues, the Red Sox did.
If you compare him to to some of the great pitchers of the last 40-50 years like Ryan, Seaver, Carlton and Maddox, Sale's mechanics leave something to be desired compared to those four I mentioned. I remember watching a TV story on a computer study that was done on Ryan and other pitchers and the findings concluded his mechanics were about as perfect as can be, Seaver was right behind him.
I think it was more that you jumped from "shoulder inflamation" to "serious arm issues" really fast that set off the response. I admit I felt the exact same way when I saw your post, but I didn't feel like replying. I want to wait and see if the Red Sox are just trying to keep his innings and arm stress down to make sure he's fresh for the playoffs.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2018, 12:28 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I think it was more that you jumped from "shoulder inflamation" to "serious arm issues" really fast that set off the response. I admit I felt the exact same way when I saw your post, but I didn't feel like replying. I want to wait and see if the Red Sox are just trying to keep his innings and arm stress down to make sure he's fresh for the playoffs.
I was going on speculation from the Rays announcers but one still has to wonder if this could be the start of something serious.
I'm hoping it's nothing serious even though he's not one of my favorite players anymore after his antics of 2016.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-19-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-19-2018, 10:43 PM
MISoxfan MISoxfan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
If he loves striking guys out why did he deviate from that love at the end of his White Sox career?
Because Cooper was trying to steer him away from strikeouts in order to increase his effectiveness in September. It was widely reported.

I'm curious how this September will go since he has faded significantly every September (and most Augusts) except the year he was injured. He'd probably already have a couple of Cy Youngs if they gave them out on July 31.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-19-2018, 11:38 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 27,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I didn't say he has shoulder inflamation issues, the Red Sox did.
If you compare him to to some of the great pitchers of the last 40-50 years like Ryan, Seaver, Carlton and Maddox, Sale's mechanics leave something to be desired compared to those four I mentioned. I remember watching a TV story on a computer study that was done on Ryan and other pitchers and the findings concluded his mechanics were about as perfect as can be, Seaver was right behind him.
Inflammation does not show up on x-rays. Easy to claim it since it really can't be proven (to skeptics at MLB's medical office).
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I didn't say he has shoulder inflamation issues, the Red Sox did.
If you compare him to to some of the great pitchers of the last 40-50 years like Ryan, Seaver, Carlton and Maddox, Sale's mechanics leave something to be desired compared to those four I mentioned. I remember watching a TV story on a computer study that was done on Ryan and other pitchers and the findings concluded his mechanics were about as perfect as can be, Seaver was right behind him.
You completely missed my point. I was just saying that him having some issue now does not mean that people who said he'd have arm troubles because of his mechanics were right. He's logged nearly 1500 major-league innings and has not had any significant problems. I think he's pitched long enough to put that behind him.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-20-2018, 03:14 AM
Falstaff Falstaff is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Humboldt County
Posts: 535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I was going on speculation from the Rays announcers but one still has to wonder if this could be the start of something serious.
I'm hoping it's nothing serious even though he's not one of my favorite players anymore after his antics of 2016.
Well, you know, at the time of the big trade, White Sox brass announced basically "although Chris Sale is great, we expect his arm will fall off before the rest of the team is equally talented." So maybe this is happening as expected.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-20-2018, 04:08 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Well, you know, at the time of the big trade, White Sox brass announced basically "although Chris Sale is great, we expect his arm will fall off before the rest of the team is equally talented." So maybe this is happening as expected.

As expected? If true, nine years later?


I love such open ended predictions: they're so meaningless.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.