Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2018, 10:39 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Default Moncada Closing Strong

Nice article in the Trib confirms my own eye test. Yoan is finishing the season strong.

His OPS over last 30 days is pushing .800 with a BA of .310 and only 30 K. If he had just posted a .650 OPS in May and June he’d be right where he was last year or better.

Room for some cautious optimism he’s going to be fine.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...922-story.html

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Nice article in the Trib confirms my own eye test. Yoan is finishing the season strong.

His OPS over last 30 days is pushing .800 with a BA of .310 and only 30 K. If he had just posted a .650 OPS in May and June he’d be right where he was last year or better.

Room for some cautious optimism he’s going to be fine.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...922-story.html
He closed strong last year too. So did Giolito and Lopez.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nope - he did the same **** last year, playing well, when the games were meaningless.

He's nearing 800 career AB, and his numbers are one tall glass of: not very good; he will regress to the mean.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanatlanta View Post
Nope - he did the same **** last year, playing well, when the games were meaningless.

He's nearing 800 career AB, and his numbers are one tall glass of: not very good; he will regress to the mean.
The games were meaningless in May.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-23-2018, 08:52 PM
WSI Personality

Moncada has all the tools. He just has to sharpen his approach which I think he'll do.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
The games were meaningless in May.
Yea but he wasn’t facing teams’ September call ups in May.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Yea but he wasn’t facing teams’ September call ups in May.
Most of the starting pitchers he has faced this month are regulars.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 09-24-2018, 04:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Games are never meaningless. That said, Moncada closing out strong is a good sign.

I can't wait for ST in 2019.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-24-2018, 06:15 AM
WSI Regular

One would have to stand on one's head to spin Moncada's season as anything but hugely disappointing.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:54 AM
WSI High Priest

23 yo kid competing his 1st full season in the bigs- the real issue is we're seeing about a year of his development that should have taken place in AA/AAA- very raw coming into the majors.

He's looked overwhelmed at times on both sides of the ball- but I still like his potential- and expect him to take it to the next level in 2019.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
23 yo kid competing his 1st full season in the bigs- the real issue is we're seeing about a year of his development that should have taken place in AA/AAA- very raw coming into the majors.

He's looked overwhelmed at times on both sides of the ball- but I still like his potential- and expect him to take it to the next level in 2019.
Agreed. He had less than a full season COMBINED at AA (Boston org.) and AAA (Chicago/Charlotte). He was called up extremely early by Boston because they had a gaping hole in their infield, and they put a position change in top of him during the heat of a pennant race. He then had half a season in AAA before being promoted essentially to take Todd Frazier’s spot on the roster. Then, in his first full MLB season, he’s expected to lead off against RHP while dropping down to different spots in the order against LHP, in a lineup filled with numerous AAAA, one-dimensional, likewise young and learning, and/or oft-injured hitters.

Moreover, switch hitters take longer to develop as hitters because they get fewer plate appearances on each side, and yet it’s two different swings to have to adjust and refine.

I’m so sick and tired of the sports media premature ejaculating muppets insisting based on limited sample size that the likes of Moncada - and Mitch Trubisky, for that matter - are finished products and therefore busts.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

Well said. I'm not sure why people are so ready to write him off as a bust. It was extremely frustrating to watch his struggles this year, but it's not unusual for a good player to struggle at first in the majors before things finally click.

Am I saying that it's a sure thing that he'll become an all-star player? No. But I can still see it happening.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
One would have to stand on one's head to spin Moncada's season as anything but hugely disappointing.
I'd more say I'm frustrated than disappointed. Which is why I'm encouraged by his progress late in the season. His new swing and approach are starting to pay dividends. No reason a kid with his amount of bat speed and raw athleticism can't consistently make contact with the baseball and hit it hard when he does.

His defense has improved a lot since the first few months. He's still making mistakes but a lot less of them so I'm not concerned there at all. His strength and calmness when he is the pivot on a double-play alone makes me think he's got a bright future at 2B.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Well said. I'm not sure why people are so ready to write him off as a bust.

Because some people are inherently negative and refuse to accept the reality of the situation, or just don't understand that DOB is a very important "stat" when evaluating player performance.

When a 22/23 year old in his first year in the majors is derailed by injuries at the beginning of the season, you can't just expect him to come back like a 5 year veteran would. Patience is required for true baseball growth, unfortunately all fan bases are loaded with meatballs who expect kids to come out of the minors and be immediate all stars. Juan Soto is the exception, not the rule.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 09-24-2018, 11:38 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

This was a development year for Yo Yo. But for the Red Sox using up some of his options, he would have been in Charlotte and some people here would have been pining for him and Eloy. If the Sox sent him to Charlotte for development and he somehow did not make the 25 man roster next year, he would be available for another team to grab him off waivers. Right now, it is my understanding, the Sox have preserved his final option in case he needs a trip to Charlotte next year.

Same thing applies to Giolito except it was the Nats and not the BoSox who used up some of his options.