White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2018, 05:52 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Just a shot in the dark -- Would they possibly be attempting/considering packaging him with one of those bad contracts (Heyward/Chatwood/Darvish), and then in turn attempt to sign both Machado and Harper?

Thats the only way they will get out of the bad contracts. It would make a lot of sense.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Just a shot in the dark -- Would they possibly be attempting/considering packaging him with one of those bad contracts (Heyward/Chatwood/Darvish), and then in turn attempt to sign both Machado and Harper?
I’m sure they would try if they thought they could, but given the question mark with Bryant’s health and the fact that he’ll probably be almost as expensive as the others in arbitration, I’d be pretty shocked if they offloaded that much talent just for the tiny chance of signing both. Not to mention it wouldn’t really help them financially, as a lateral move now still wouldn’t account for the raises that Baez and Contreras and Hendricks are gonna get soon. Too much risk, and I pity the poor PR folks who would have to sell that to the fans.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Chatwood and Bryant wouldn't give enough payroll flexibility to sign one and get under the luxury tax (which the Cubs are on recording saying they will be this year).

Darvish has a full no trade clause through the end of this season. He isn't going anywhere.

Nobody is taking Jason Heyward's contract. Not even if you throw in Kris Bryant and don't ask for anything back. It's the worst contract in baseball, a crippling deal in money owed, length, and back signing bonuses owed long after the deal is done. All for a player that is an all defense corner outfielder (which is no a thing baseball teams value).
Old 11-12-2018, 12:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Funny, hearing Bryant being written off. I'll believe it when I see it.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

Nobody is taking Jason Heyward's contract. Not even if you throw in Kris Bryant and don't ask for anything back. It's the worst contract in baseball, a crippling deal in money owed, length, and back signing bonuses owed long after the deal is done. All for a player that is an all defense corner outfielder (which is no a thing baseball teams value).

Taking on 125m of bad salary is a crippler but more than that is he has to be strolled out everyday because of that.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Funny, hearing Bryant being written off. I'll believe it when I see it.
I wouldn’t say he’s being written off, just that with dwindling team control and an injury that clearly affected his hitting ability, he can no longer being treated as an immovable, perennial MVP-level superstar until he demonstrates a full recovery.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Taking on 125m of bad salary is a crippler but more than that is he has to be strolled out everyday because of that.
Yup. And the value he does have (as a defensive replacement) is likely to regress away in the coming years.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:38 PM
WSI Personality

Jim Hickey "steps down" as pitching coach.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Jim Hickey "steps down" as pitching coach.
Going to see my Cubbie loving relatives at Christmas who were oohing and aahing over Hickey last year. Theo's got himself a reign of terror going over there.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Developing pitching has always been a boogeyman for Theo. Their issues now don’t surprise me. In Theo’s last three years in Boston, Clay Buccholz was the only player he drafted or signed as an amateur to make a start for the Red Sox other than 6 games of Justin Masterson. A large part of the reason his time was up in Boston was years of throwing money at Buccholz, Beckett, and Dice-K to be hurt and inconsistent, then the disastrous (at the time) Lackey contract was the icing on the cake that year.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:20 AM

Wasnt Hickey genius joes guy?
Old 11-21-2018, 05:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Jim Hickey would look good in White Sox pinstripes. There's been a lot of turnover up north regarding pitching and hitting coaches.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/hickey...ch/c-300988166

Last edited by Grzegorz; 11-21-2018 at 05:22 AM.