Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 10:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post

JD Martinez is an elite hitter and I'd love it if they could get him but he's opting out of his contract meaning 3 years / $20M per isn't going to cut it.

The last thing we should do is sign a mid-thirties DH to a 5 year $150 million contract.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The last thing we should do is sign a mid-thirties DH to a 5 year $150 million contract.
Agreed.

Actually, that's the second to last thing. The last thing we should do is bring back Ozzie.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
No way does he get anywhere close to that. There really isn't that big of a market for him anyways, that's why he is on the fence about even opting out. He will likely get a 3-4 year deal with a higher AAV than he had before probably $22-25mil.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I find this ironic. TA wins a batting title, Moncada and McCann have career years, Abreu rebounds.

I get that our offense was lacking in XBH and walks, but it sure seems like Steverson had more success stories than the previous few hitting coaches.

I liked Menechino as a minor leaguer, but I have no idea whether he will help the offense. I have to assume that, as an organizational guy, he had an advantage over all the qualified hitting coaches who didn't play here.
No surprise here. The complete lack of production from too many guys shows a coaching deficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Want to do what the Twins do? Stop asking a budding superstar 3B to bunt the liveliest baseball in league history and then getting cheesed off when it doesn’t work.

God, Renteria sucks.
Damn that team! Making developing players expand their skill portfolio during a rebuild season. How dare they?!?!?!?!?

Quote:
Why not? Given JD's history, sign him to a five year deal with year three as his player opt-out. He'll leave for greener pastures just like he is doing now.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I would hope they are doing this, at least to some extent, to improve OBP. last in the league in walks, led by Yolmer, is no way to go through life.
Yeah, OBP the biggest issue. A history of guys coming up and taking forever to get their first walk, and an overall history of poor plate approaches leading to a lack of walks.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:44 AM
WSI High Priest

WSI posters: there is no accountability in the White Sox organization! Jerry keeps the same people in jobs too long.

Also WSI posters: why did they fire the hitting coach after a season where we were 24th in the league in hitting!
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-03-2019, 11:56 AM
WSI High Priest

As far as JD Martinez goes, I think he would be incredibly helpful for the 2020 and 2021 White Sox to have, though of course I share everyone's concerns about him being an albatross after that. I would prefer that he be acquired for a shorter term contract with more money up front. I can understand why White Sox fans especially would be worried about paying a lot of money for a free agent slugger in his 30's.

In 2019, a 31-year old JD Martinez slashed .304/.383/.557 for an OPS of .939. He hit 36 home runs.

At age 31, Adam Dunn (already on the White Sox at that age) slashed .159/.292/.277 for an OPS of .569. He hit 11 home runs. Now that was a substantial dropoff from his 30-year old season, where he was .260/.365/.536 for an OPS of .892 and hit 38 HRs.

At age 31, Adam LaRoche lost most of the year to injury so let’s look at his Age 32 season, indisputably the most successful season of his career. He slashed .271/.343/.510 for an OPS of .853 with 33 HRs. LaRoche did not really suck until 2015 (age 35), his first year in Chicago.

It’s possible JD Martinez will experience the kind of sudden, steep decline that Adam Dunn saw at age 31 and Adam LaRoche saw at age 35. But he’s declining from a higher place.

Last edited by HomeFish; 10-03-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
WSI posters: there is no accountability in the White Sox organization! Jerry keeps the same people in jobs too long.

Also WSI posters: why did they fire the hitting coach after a season where we were 24th in the league in hitting!
Ha! I came on to post the same thing.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 10-03-2019, 12:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Damn that team! Making developing players expand their skill portfolio during a rebuild season. How dare they?!?!?!?!?
I agree. Having Moncada even consider laying down a bunt is just plumb dumb in any season.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:13 PM
WSI High Priest

And yes, signing any free agent is a risk. Trading for any current player under contract is a risk. There is a risk that they will suck, there is a risk that their salary in 5 years will stop you from being able to improve the team, there is a risk that the throw-in minor leaguer will become a superstar even better than his famous father.

But standing pat is also a risk. There's no realistic prospect of the Sox having a plus bat in the DH slot unless they trade for somebody or sign a FA.

If, like me, you believe that the 2020 White Sox are just a few pieces away from being a contending team, then I think there's a strong case for signing somebody to be the DH, especially if you take advantage of the team's freakish financial flexibility during the next 2-3 years.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:41 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Lets first see if the sox resign abreu before considering getting a DH. If they sign him, he is the DH of the future and no need to get one.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post

You're missing the point. If you ran a team of little leaguers out there, they'd be last in the league in hitting. Should they fire the hitting coach?

I do think they keep the same people in the same jobs for too long, but it looks like they are applying an unreasonable and inconsistent standard here. I admit I don't know what goes on in the dugout, and they might have fired Steverson for reasons other than the team being 24th in the league in hitting. Or maybe they should have also fired Cooper (23rd in the league in runs allowed!) and whichever coach is responsible for fielding (25th in fielding percentage!) and the guys who put this team together. But it's only Steverson and Sparks.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Yeah, OBP the biggest issue. A history of guys coming up and taking forever to get their first walk, and an overall history of poor plate approaches leading to a lack of walks.
Supposedly.....getting hitters to take walks was one of Steverson's greatest attributes when he was hitting coach for the A's.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Supposedly.....getting hitters to take walks was one of Steverson's greatest attributes when he was hitting coach for the A's.
Not in the 6 years he was here. It's very rare that players can reach the majors, then change their approach to get a significant amount of more walks. They are who they are for the most part in regards to walks and their K/BB ratio.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:04 PM
WSI Personality

Michael Kopech is pitching to hitters.

Video

“It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd
Closed Thread