White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2018, 10:03 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Default Dodgers lose Seager for season; how can the Sox exploit this?

The Dodgers just lost Seager to TJ surgery.

You're Rick Hahn. Come up with a plan to exploit this.

Tim Anderson would have to be attractive to the Dodgers. He could play shortstop until Seager returns, then be flipped (for almost what they paid) or kept around long-term because of his versatility and great contract.

Let's say the Dodgers are willing to give up an uncharacteristically rich package, starting with Keibert Ruiz, one of the best catching prospects in the game. Do you, Rick Hahn, take this risk, then draft a shortstop in the first round and go all in on Machado?

Do you call them and dangle Yolmer?

Or do you do nothing?

I have been impressed with Anderson this year, but I'm not yet sold on him as the long-term solution at shortstop. I doubt the Dodgers would be willing to meet it, but I'd float a high asking price and see if they bite.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:12 PM
WSI Prelate

They moved Taylor to his natural position of SS and have a crowded OF to replace him. I could see them making a push for Machado or Dozier later this summer, but they don't need Tim Anderson.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
They moved Taylor to his natural position of SS and have a crowded OF to replace him. I could see them making a push for Machado or Dozier later this summer, but they don't need Tim Anderson.
Yeah I don't see Anderson as a fit for them. They will see how things play out with Taylor at short for the next month or 2. I do think they end up with Machado though at some point. They are built to win now, and need to act on this window of opportunity. They have the prospects to get a deal done for sure.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:09 AM
WSI High Priest

They lost a shortstop, not a first baseman.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-01-2018, 07:27 AM

I do not expect them to go after Machado. They will not give up a boatload of prospects for a rental.

I also don't expect them to be satisfied with Taylor at short.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 AM

I know it's idle speculation, but I'd ask for Keibert Ruiz, Caleb Ferguson, and another of the Dodgers' top 30 for Anderson.

This seems like a bargain for LA, honestly. Anderson is a big upgrade over Taylor and his contract is luxury-tax-friendly. If they don't want to keep Anderson after the season, they will be able to trade him and recoup value.

Sox get the #3 catching prospect in baseball, the Dodgers' best lefthanded pitcher, and more depth. Zavala and Collins become backup catchers/1B/DH.

Sox replace Anderson (this season) with Jose Rondon. Sox try even harder to sign Machado, and can offer him his preferred position. Sox will also have consecutive high #1 picks to draft a shortstop.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Tim Anderson is a young, cost controlled player at a key skill position with an All Star potential bat, crazy speed and fantastic athleticism and range. He is already playing on the Major League level and will probably be a key part of whatever comes next for this team's success.

Trading him now would be pretty silly unless the offer was simply too good to pass up and for me that would mean sure fire things who are already at or very close to the major league level.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Tim Anderson is a young, cost controlled player at a key skill position with an All Star potential bat, crazy speed and fantastic athleticism and range. He is already playing on the Major League level and will probably be a key part of whatever comes next for this team's success.

Trading him now would be pretty silly unless the offer was simply too good to pass up and for me that would mean sure fire things who are already at or very close to the major league level.
Yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense to trade Anderson. The Sox are very thin at SS, probably their weakest position up and down the system.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-01-2018, 11:26 AM
WSI Guru

CBS Sportsline has a story on this today. They say that if the Dodgers shed some payroll then CAN go after Machado and still remain under the tax threshold.

They list these players as possible acquisitions for them:

Machado
Elvis Andrus
Marcus Semiem
Eduardo Nunez
Alcides Escobar
Old 05-01-2018, 11:39 AM
WSI High Priest

How can the Sox exploit this? They can't, unless LAD does something stupid from their perspective.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 05-01-2018, 12:12 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Anderson for Kershaw.

Book it.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Anderson for Kershaw.

Book it.
Now that trade I would make.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
CBS Sportsline has a story on this today. They say that if the Dodgers shed some payroll then CAN go after Machado and still remain under the tax threshold.
This is where the White Sox can take advantage of the situation. They can essentially “buy” prospects by taking on short-term bad money.