White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 03:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
So I'm confused (which comes naturally to me) the guys have produced but there's something wrong with that?

Not their fault that management wasn't willing to do what needed to be done to put the other pieces around them.

And given the revenue streams being generated by MLB, which is now on par with the NFL I don't believe for a nano-second that said teams couldn't have afforded to bring in the other talent needed.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. Teams are making money hand over foot, they are basically printing it. Owners have been crying poor since the late 1890's.
I agree with the bolded part (not that I necessarily disagree with the rest of it.).
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 03-01-2019, 08:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
CBS Sportsline story contradicting those who feel giving out long-term mega deals is "bad":

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...n-their-prime/

"One might argue the extra three years on Harper make it bad, but I'll respond by saying less than $26 million in 2031 isn't going to bother the Phillies, especially if Harper plays at a level he's capable in the first seven or eight years of the deal."

What tripe. A guy stating what the financial world of the Phillies will look like in 2031.

Labeling this piece as 'Fantasy' does not do it justice.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 03-02-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:34 PM
WSI Guru

The #Phillies have sold 220,000 tix since Harper signing, but as John Middleton told Boras: I'm not interested in talking about marketing dollars, tickets sold, billboards, concessions. There's only one reason I'm talking to you, that's because I believe this guy can help us win.

— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) March 2, 2019
Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yanks ink Gio Gonzalez, 2 years $24 million.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

$100 million more than Harper got. Best player in the game got what he earned.

Mod Edit: This is a reference to Trout signing with the Angels 12/430. The posts announcing it were all trashed due to it leading to a major hijack trashing Sox management again...

Last edited by voodoochile; 03-19-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:01 AM
WSI Personality

He's one of the best ever and deserves every dollar.

Mod Edit: This is a reference to Trout signing with the Angels 12/430. The posts announcing it were all trashed due to it leading to a major hijack trashing Sox management again...

Last edited by voodoochile; 03-19-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

501 now... closed...

Someone start FA 2 with a lead post about the Trout signing please.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Closed Thread