White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 11:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
The potential game 163s would be held in Chicago and LA due to them having better head to head records agains the Brewers and Rockies respectively.

The Wild Card game will be hosted by the 2nd place team in the NL Central on Tuesday night.
Good work. This is a lot to make sense of.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: Hopefully around the beginning of May
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)
Old 09-30-2018, 01:08 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 & 2018 NFL Pick'em Contests

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Got to give the NL credit for making this interesting right through 162. The AL hasn't been competitive since the All-Star Break.

Obligatory 2018 attendance record: 0-1 (2-1 loss in 13 to the Perpetual Losers on 6/28)

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Got to give the NL credit for making this interesting right through 162. The AL hasn't been competitive since the All-Star Break.
The AL is as top-heavy as I've ever seen it. After the five playoff teams (3 of them with 100+ wins), you have two respectable teams in SEA and TB, and then the rest of the AL is a whole mess of bad.

The NL is much more balanced, to the point where I could see any of the 5 teams making it to the World Series and not really be too surprised.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Dumb question: so, the MLB scheduling thing where all teams play Game 162 at the same has been in effect how long? I dimly thought that it only applied to those teams in the postseason races at the end, but I see that these game times for today were set right from the beginning of the season. It appears that when I repress a lot from bad Sox seasons I just miss a thing or two.

(Also, not a hijack or excuse but I am disoriented by the Bears score. )
Old 09-30-2018, 05:50 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 & 2018 NFL Pick'em Contests

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

All four teams in question today are winning, so it looks like we're going to have two Game 163's tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
All four teams in question today are winning, so it looks like we're going to have two Game 163's tomorrow.
Not only winning, but winning big. Brewers are up 11-0 in the 9th, Cubs are up 10-5 in the 7th, Dodgers won 15-0, and the Rockies won 12-0 (note: Charlie Blackmon hit for the cycle).

There will be a Game 163 for the NL West title, with the Dodgers hosting the Rockies by virtue of better H2H.

Assuming the scores hold, the Cubs will host the Brewers in another Game 163 for the NL Central.

Last edited by MtGrnwdSoxFan; 09-30-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:41 PM
WSI High Priest

I love the game 163s, but if a team wins home field advantage based on having a better h2h record, isnít there a good argument that they should just win the division based on that criteria?

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
2018 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 09-30-2018, 11:04 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
I love the game 163s, but if a team wins home field advantage based on having a better h2h record, isnít there a good argument that they should just win the division based on that criteria?

No.

The Championship Season is decided on record. The division champion cannot have the same record as another team in the division. I do love that about baseball, and I hope they never go the NFL 20 tiebreaker criteria route.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:08 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
I love the game 163s, but if a team wins home field advantage based on having a better h2h record, isn’t there a good argument that they should just win the division based on that criteria?
If the WC game was anything more than a glorified game 163 in its own right, I would agree but as a player, I wouldn't want to find out I had to play a Do or Die game without getting a chance to avoid it. You think any of these teams wants to play that WC game when they could skip it and go straight to a 5 game series?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-01-2018, 09:11 AM
WSI High Priest

The wild card game would be a bit like a bronze medal game: two teams coming off a loss. It would remain to be seen which is better at shaking off the loss.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
The wild card game would be a bit like a bronze medal game: two teams coming off a loss. It would remain to be seen which is better at shaking off the loss.
Yes, and both of the teams will likely have taxed bullpens because you'd have to assume that both teams will be pulling out all the stops to win Game 163 to avoid the wild card.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 10-01-2018, 12:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

I remember in 2005 when the White Sox clinched in Detroit and we ended up the season in Cleveland with 3 games remaining and we had a 3 game lead going in to that series. I said "what if Cleveland sweeps us?" And I was told it didn't make any difference since the White Sox had the better head to head record vs Cleveland that year.

Fortunately the Sox won all 3 against the Tribe and ended up with 99 wins and the Tribe was stuck at 93. I do admit that there would've been a taint on our Division Title in '05 had the Tribe swept us and we both ended up at 96 Wins.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how the Cubs-Brewers season ending tie is any different?? Can somebody please enlighten me?
Old 10-01-2018, 01:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
I remember in 2005 when the White Sox clinched in Detroit and we ended up the season in Cleveland with 3 games remaining and we had a 3 game lead going in to that series. I said "what if Cleveland sweeps us?" And I was told it didn't make any difference since the White Sox had the better head to head record vs Cleveland that year.

Fortunately the Sox won all 3 against the Tribe and ended up with 99 wins and the Tribe was stuck at 93. I do admit that there would've been a taint on our Division Title in '05 had the Tribe swept us and we both ended up at 96 Wins.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how the Cubs-Brewers season ending tie is any different?? Can somebody please enlighten me?
The difference now is a 1 game wild card decider to move onto the NLDS. In 2005, both teams were moving on to a best of 5 division series. Ask any of the 4 teams today what they would rather play in, an automatic 5 game series or a one game wild card, and I can bet every team would want to skip the one game wild card.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post

I believe it has to do with the extra Wild Card now.

Back in '05, there was only 1 Wild Card, so a tiebreaker between 2 teams who both would've made the playoffs (and both made a 5-game series) ended up being decided by other factors. Now, because everyone wants to avoid that 1 game Wild Card crap shoot, it makes a difference who wins the division versus who has to play in a virtual play-in game.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Correct me if I'm wrong: the winner of Brewers/Cubs Game 163 becomes the #1 seed in the playoffs and faces the WC winner in the NLDS, right? So you could easily see a Cubs/Brewers NLDS.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides