Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 01:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Joe View Post
Did they announce when the parking lots will open tomorrow?

Noon.

277-241.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Noon.
Cool, thanks!
I loved the game. I'd have played for free and worked for food. It was the game, the parks, the smells, the sounds. Have you ever held a bat or a baseball to your face? The varnish, the leather. And it was the crowd, the excitement of them rising as one when the ball was hit deep. It makes me tingle all over like a kid on his way to his first double-header, just to talk about it. - Shoeless Joe Jackson
Old 04-04-2018, 01:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
The problem is not spring, its that our damn winters last a LONG time and thus we don't really have a true spring. This ain't no spring, I don't care what the calendar says.
"Spring" really isn't that great either. The lakefront sucks in the spring time. Luckily, I live in the west burbs, but if I want to go to a game where the wind is blowing a certain direction, got to bring my winter coat. This is why I have Winnetka and the ball park zip code on my weather.com app. It also rains half of the time. Then, of course, you may gave a stretch of couple of days in the 70s only to be in the 40s and raining a few days later.

Like I said, I hate spring more than winter.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 PM
WSI Guru

I have tickets for the home opener. If it is postponed to Friday, I will not be able to attend because of work.

That said, I would rather they postpone it until Friday than repeat last year's debacle. That was insulting and a gigantic waste of my time.

If there's not going to be a game, don't bring everybody down there just to make money off concessions. There have been four home openers canceled around MLB this season, and in every case, the host team called it early as a courtesy to fans. That is the right way to do it. The way the Sox did it last year is the wrong way, and nobody was fooled.

I guarantee you that I won't spend a dime on concessions Thursday until the first pitch has been thrown. And if the game is rained out, I will again demand my parking money be refunded, as I did last year.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-04-2018, 02:28 PM
WSI Guru

My dad and I have tickets. We've attended the home opener or at least the first homestand going back to Ventura's first season as manager. My dad isn't sure he wants to do this anymore if they call the game again. Who can blame him? He just turned 64 a few days ago and is probably tired of stuff like this.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:37 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

After last year, I decided I will buy OD tickets only if there is a banner being raised. Tired of the stress of worrying about wasting a ton of $$$ because Old Man Winter wants to attend the game.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Tomorrow is my 43rd consecutive Opening Day. Ive kept track of the weather during that stretch. Three times the game has been canceled. In 1989 and 2009 heavy snow canceled both the day before. Last year the game was canceled after the gates opened. Temperature wise, heres the breakdown (includes make up days):

80s 1
70s. 7
60s 7
50s 11
40s. 12
30s. 4

And since 1976 Sox are 23-19 on their Home opener.
The 1982 home opener vs. Boston was snowed out and the Sox didn't open the year until five or so days later with a DH in New York. A massive, major snowstorm buried the Midwest that spring.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Tampa Bay will be here Monday through Wednesday next week. Because someone thought it'd be a good idea to schedule a 7:10 pm start outdoors in Chicago on April 9th rather than play in a dome in Florida.

No need to go into why. I know the schedule is generated by a third-party company with no common sense. I just wanted to vent about it.
The ideal situation would be for the northern teams playing in southern ciities or domed venues for maybe 9 games but now a bigger problem arises with starting a season with 9 road games with the possibility of coming home at maybe 6 games or worse under .500.
I would love for MLB to go back to a 154 game schedule with the season starting in mid-April but we all know that greed comes in the way of that pipe dream. Maybe one of these days all the owners of MLB teams along with NHL, NBA, and NFL will have an epiphany and shorten their seasons.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I have tickets for the home opener. If it is postponed to Friday, I will not be able to attend because of work.

That said, I would rather they postpone it until Friday than repeat last year's debacle. That was insulting and a gigantic waste of my time.

If there's not going to be a game, don't bring everybody down there just to make money off concessions. There have been four home openers canceled around MLB this season, and in every case, the host team called it early as a courtesy to fans. That is the right way to do it. The way the Sox did it last year is the wrong way, and nobody was fooled.

I guarantee you that I won't spend a dime on concessions Thursday until the first pitch has been thrown. And if the game is rained out, I will again demand my parking money be refunded, as I did last year.
Last year was indeed a disaster. I took the day off from work to go to the game even though I looked at the radar in the morning and the situation looked grim. Fans were begging the team on Twitter for a cancellation. Instead, I sat in traffic to get to the park, got wet heading to my seat, watched the car player parade with that trance inducing drum beat song (seriously, who PICKED that song?), watched a tarp for 2 hours, and then had to sit in 2 hours of traffic to get home. My reward for that was to miss the actual first game the next day because I couldn't take two days off work in a row. If they had bagged the game early like they should have, I would have been able to attend.

They didn't refund my parking money either. Looking at the forecast for tomorrow, I'm fearing a repeat of last year. I realize a lot of planning goes into Opening Day for the team. Musical acts are booked, special guests to throw out the first pitch, promotional events, etc. However, you have to think of your fans that show up on Opening Day. If they are going to bag the game BAG IT EARLY. Don't make fans drive out there and waste a day. Allow everyone time to rearrange schedules. When they cancelled Opening Day back in 2009, they correctly did it the night before and still had a full house for the makeup Opener a day later. Last year, the makeup opener had 20,000 at best and that was the crowd they deserved after the botched handling of it.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-04-2018, 04:11 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Last year was indeed a disaster. I took the day off from work to go to the game even though I looked at the radar in the morning and the situation looked grim. Fans were begging the team on Twitter for a cancellation. Instead, I sat in traffic to get to the park, got wet heading to my seat, watched the car player parade with that trance inducing drum beat song (seriously, who PICKED that song?), watched a tarp for 2 hours, and then had to sit in 2 hours of traffic to get home. My reward for that was to miss the actual first game the next day because I couldn't take two days off work in a row. If they had bagged the game early like they should have, I would have been able to attend.

They didn't refund my parking money either. Looking at the forecast for tomorrow, I'm fearing a repeat of last year. I realize a lot of planning goes into Opening Day for the team. Musical acts are booked, special guests to throw out the first pitch, promotional events, etc. However, you have to think of your fans that show up on Opening Day. If they are going to bag the game BAG IT EARLY. Don't make fans drive out there and waste a day. Allow everyone time to rearrange schedules. When they cancelled Opening Day back in 2009, they correctly did it the night before and still had a full house for the makeup Opener a day later. Last year, the makeup opener had 20,000 at best and that was the crowd they deserved after the botched handling of it.
Earlier, I tweeted at the team some of what you wrote here. I'm sure it will be futile, but what do I have to lose?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:21 PM
WSI Personality

Right now Accuweather has it being cloudy from 3-5 with some flurries around 6. If that holds we should get it in. Be cold as hell but it doesn't look any better in the near future. Play the game!
Old 04-04-2018, 04:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Like several others I have tickets for tomorrow and took a day of PTO from work to attend. I live in the far NW suburbs, so I have to plan accordingly for OD. After last year's experience I really hope I am not in for more of the same this year. Even if they do cancel ahead of time I can't make it on Friday, but it would save me travel and additional money.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/statu...24114887692288

Quote:
#WhiteSox spokesman says club expects to play season opener tomorrow (3:10 pm) as scheduled.
\_(ツ)_/

2017: 7-11
2016: 11-9
2015: 13-7
2014: 15-11
2013: 11-22
2012: 29-22
2011: 15-19
2010: 18-10
2009: 5-9
2008: 21-10
2007: 6-14
2006: 20-9
Old 04-04-2018, 04:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Good. I've got concert tickets for Friday. Glad they plan to play tomorrow. It's going to be brutal both days.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Earlier, I tweeted at the team some of what you wrote here. I'm sure it will be futile, but what do I have to lose?
For what it's worth, I tweeted the same sentiment at them today as well. We just have to hope for the best tomorrow.
Closed Thread