Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2020, 09:03 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Athletic article on Vaughn's hitting style/stance, Stiever's development and Ian Hamilton's recovery from taking a line-drive to the face while sitting in the dugout that required several surgeries including replacing many teeth (and he's not done yet):

https://theathletic.com/1604928/2020...s-on-the-mend/

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-14-2020, 10:38 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Athletic article on Vaughn's hitting style/stance, Stiever's development and Ian Hamilton's recovery from taking a line-drive to the face while sitting in the dugout that required several surgeries including replacing many teeth (and he's not done yet):

https://theathletic.com/1604928/2020...s-on-the-mend/
Did Hamilton take a shot from Burr?

Sorry, could not resist......

Old 02-14-2020, 03:13 PM
WSI Guru

Abreu told reporters today he wasn't going anywhere this offseason except back here. Class.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Minor leaguer Hunter Schryver, one of the non-roster invitees to spring training, will undergo Tommy John surgery and will be out until approx. mid-2021.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...-john-surgery/
Old 02-19-2020, 06:40 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by homefish View Post
is there really nothing going on in spring training yet, forcing us to keep rehashing the same arguments about offseason activity or lack thereof? I already know what you all think about the abreu extension.

What sources are you all using to follow the sox in spring training? Which newspapers and twitter feeds have good updates?
Old 02-19-2020, 07:19 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
What sources are you all using to follow the Sox in Spring Training? Which newspapers and twitter feeds have good updates?
http://futuresox.com/
https://www.soxmachine.com/
https://theathletic.com/
Old 02-19-2020, 08:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Is there really nothing going on in Spring Training yet, forcing us to keep rehashing the same arguments about offseason activity or lack thereof? I already know what you all think about the Abreu extension.

What sources are you all using to follow the Sox in Spring Training? Which newspapers and twitter feeds have good updates?
This is who I follow on Twitter for Sox related news:
Sox on 35th
James Fegan
South Side Sox
Future Sox
Steve Stone
Jason Benetti
Official Sox twitter account
Scott Merkin
Chuck Garfien
Old 02-19-2020, 09:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
As far as online sources for Sox updates, I like the ones that Blurry mentioned, I also check out South Side Hit Pen
https://southsidehitpen.com/

I like Sox Machine as a good source of info, but I think they tend to be a bit negative. In a recent grading the offseason post, they gave the Luis Robert extension a C+. Really? They're really that lukewarm about the Robert extension? That seems about typical for SoxMachine, though.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Is there really nothing going on in Spring Training yet, forcing us to keep rehashing the same arguments about offseason activity or lack thereof? I already know what you all think about the Abreu extension.

I mean, until there start to be some games, it's kind of hard to really know what's going on. Everyone is just starting to get some reps in in the cage, starting to throw, etc. I think it's exciting that guys like Madrigal and Rutherford seem to have bulked up and that Lopez is took the offseason seriously, but until we see them play who really knows what to make of it?
Old 02-19-2020, 09:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
As far as online sources for Sox updates, I like the ones that Blurry mentioned, I also check out South Side Hit Pen
https://southsidehitpen.com/

I like Sox Machine as a good source of info, but I think they tend to be a bit negative. In a recent grading the offseason post, they gave the Luis Robert extension a C+. Really? They're really that lukewarm about the Robert extension? That seems about typical for SoxMachine, though.
It's more indicative of the writer than the site. Some of their writers simply do not think outside of on-field performance. Margulus is very good at looking at the entire picture. All of the better critical thinkers have, overall, thought the Robert extension and Abreu signings were good things because they look at more than just $/WAR.

If you're on Reddit, the /r/whitesox subreddit is mostly memes during the offseason but occasionally they have good stuff. They do skew younger. Reddit's /r/baseball subreddit is probably the internet's best place for catch-all bigger updates and fan discussion.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:52 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
It's more indicative of the writer than the site. Some of their writers simply do not think outside of on-field performance. Margulus is very good at looking at the entire picture. All of the better critical thinkers have, overall, thought the Robert extension and Abreu signings were good things because they look at more than just $/WAR.

If you're on Reddit, the /r/whitesox subreddit is mostly memes during the offseason but occasionally they have good stuff. They do skew younger. Reddit's /r/baseball subreddit is probably the internet's best place for catch-all bigger updates and fan discussion.
Yea, I was going to say that two of their writers were big fans of the Robert signing. The guy who wrote the piece also has an interesting grading criteria and grades can change throughout the course of the season.

I feel like SoxMachine is great for analysis but for overall news, it's really hard to beat The Athletic.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-19-2020, 05:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
My hope with Sheets is that he can produce enough in Charlotte that other teams would be intrigued enough with him and some other prospects that they could be flipped for help on the major league roster.

For Konerko, I feel like WAR doesn't do him justice. He had an OPS+ of 160, 141 and 130 for his age 34-36 seasons. Yea, he didn't have a lot of range but he had soft hands and was really good at picking balls out of the dirt, which REALLY helped with some of Alexei's throws. Konerko's downfall was at some point in the second half of 2012 when he hurt his wrist and never really recovered from that.
His ability to use all fields and a short porch in RF to boost HR #s should make a great match with BB&T.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:12 AM

Daily Trib article on Spring Training says Renteria expects to use Yoan and TA near the top of the order while Robert gets to start off lower to get a feel for hitting in the majors before transitioning higher.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...vne-story.html
Old 02-21-2020, 09:30 AM

Athletic article on Keuchel and Grandal.

https://theathletic.com/1622583/2020...-expectations/
Old 02-21-2020, 10:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Daily Trib article on Spring Training says Renteria expects to use Yoan and TA near the top of the order while Robert gets to start off lower to get a feel for hitting in the majors before transitioning higher.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...vne-story.html
Was hoping to see Grandal bat 2nd as he is one of the only high OBP guys in the lineup.

Robert batting 7 or 8 is a good place for him this season.