Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2019, 08:15 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Default Eloy Defensive Position

Eloy has now injured himself twice in the last couple weeks making plays in the outfield. Is it worth it to keep putting him out there? I know he can improve over time but he is obviously here for his bat and if he keeps getting hurt playing defense what good does that do? Might need to see if he can play 1st base or just put him at DH.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:33 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Injury hurts the team immediately. Bottom of the inning that Eloy gets hurt his spot in the order comes up with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd. Engel who had to pinch hit for him quickly strikes out. Sox need to do what they can to keep his bat in the lineup.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Injury hurts the team immediately. Bottom of the inning that Eloy gets hurt his spot in the order comes up with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd. Engel who had to pinch hit for him quickly strikes out. Sox need to do what they can to keep his bat in the lineup.
What's amazing is that the White Sox, having to know Eloy was in no way prepared to be an outfielder, fell prey to the hype and let the kid loose out there.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-26-2019, 10:03 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

It was just a matter of time and this wont be the last time. I am still baffled how he could have played over 400 games in the outfield in the minors and it appears as though he has never been out there before.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
It was just a matter of time and this wont be the last time. I am still baffled how he could have played over 400 games in the outfield in the minors and it appears as though he has never been out there before.
My thoughts too. He looks like they guy who plays RF on your church league slow pitch team. Itís just horrendous. He makes Palka look smooth.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:18 AM
WSI Prelate

The problem is the Sox have an unnecessary clog right now at DH/1B.

Although he hit a HR tonight, Alonso should be DFA'd and cut lose. Don't let your best hitting prospect have a career altering injury all because you couldn't cut dead weight lose and eat some money.

Be smart White Sox.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Because he was never held accountable by the White Sox staff to learn the craft?
Old 04-27-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Because he was never held accountable by the White Sox staff to learn the craft?

The cubs also.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Quote:
The cubs also.
This is an important point. He played 253 games in the Cubs minor league system, and 155 games in the White Sox system, before coming to the majors.

The White Sox roving outfield instructor is Aaron Rowand. As a fielder, he was known for giving maximum effort to run down fly balls, even if he wasnít always taking the best routes.

Iím not sure a former center fielder, as Darryl Boston was as well, is the best coach for Eloy.

I think I would want to find a coach who had played in the majors in left field, preferably someone who is right-handed and is also Dominican or at least speaks excellent Spanish.

Iím not saying that every single position on the field needs a coach. But I am saying that Eloy needs someone to coach him individually on his fielding, and it wouldnít be a bad idea for that person to have a formal coaching role on the Sox major league coaching staff. And I would try doing this NOW, before the Sox move him to 1B/DH, or before they trade away any OF prospects who might be needed if later on the Sox do want to move Eloy to 1B/DH.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The cubs also.
Could this have played a row in their wiiingness to trade him?
Old 04-27-2019, 06:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Is there any evidence he can play 1B? I know it's an "easy" position but it's way different from OF.

I'd love to one day learn the story of how Eloy came to play OF in the first place. Somebody at one point thought that was a good idea, clearly.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-27-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post

Probably so
Old 04-27-2019, 08:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Is there any evidence he can play 1B? I know it's an "easy" position but it's way different from OF.
If the kid doesn't have the footwork to break on balls hit to the outfield do you believe he's anywhere near having the needed footwork to handle 1B?
Old 04-27-2019, 08:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post

I'd love to one day learn the story of how Eloy came to play OF in the first place. Somebody at one point thought that was a good idea, clearly.
I have my doubts that he can field any position on the field. My guess is that he was in the OF because he would never play 1B for the Cubs and couldn't DH in the NL
Old 04-27-2019, 08:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Kyle Schwarber is a fire hydrant in the outfield as well, but he is still around.