White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2019, 06:13 PM
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,147
Post *Official* 5/18/19 Giolito "Complete" Game Win 4-1 Postgamer

Yes, it was a minimal official game, but a win is a win.


Thanks to the Sodfather for talking to the home plate umpire before the start of the 5th to get this game in.



Giolito worked his way in and out of trouble, but overall had himself a good game. Kudos to Alonso for beating the shift twice, driving in half the Sox runs.


First win of the year for me.
__________________
2019 Attendance Tracker: 5 - 11

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L
Sep 28 (1) W
Sep 28 (2) L


Next Game Spring 2020
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2019, 06:15 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 59,540
Blog Entries: 9
Default

We'll take it. Nice quick win and yes that 5th inning was a thing of beauty for Gio.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2019, 06:16 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,356
Default

How long was the rain delay before they called it , had to be over 3 hours. Regardless, a win is a win and we'll take it.
__________________
Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-18-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2019, 06:31 PM
LakeShoreSox LakeShoreSox is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
We'll take it. Nice quick win and yes that 5th inning was a thing of beauty for Gio.
Incredibly fun to watch. I wonder if he takes note of this at all and works to incorporate more of that fast paced aggressive stuff from that inning to more of his pitching.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2019, 06:47 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 59,540
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSox View Post
Incredibly fun to watch. I wonder if he takes note of this at all and works to incorporate more of that fast paced aggressive stuff from that inning to more of his pitching.
It actually started after he allowed the two base-runners in the 4th. He seemed to say **** it and start throwing more heat. The next two guys popped out and then he blew through the 5th.

Maybe he decided to let it hang out because he figured he wasn't coming back out anyway because even if they were going to resume the wait would have been too long and they'd have gone to the pen. Regardless, me likey the new Gio...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2019, 07:22 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,737
Default

Giolito needed to get through the top of the fifth to get the win, not just for himself, but for the team. The rain figured to be around for awhile. For all the trouble he had earlier in the game, it looks like he struck out the side in the fifth on just 11 pitches. With a delay imminent, he was able to aggressively and efficiently attack the strike zone when he needed to.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2019, 07:24 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,913
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Back to two under .500. This seems to be the albatross high point. Get the win tomorrow, boys.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-18-2019, 07:47 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Back to two under .500. This seems to be the albatross high point. Get the win tomorrow, boys.
We're going to need it, the upcoming roadtrip with 4 against the Astros and 3 against the Twinkies is going to be tough.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 7,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Giolito needed to get through the top of the fifth to get the win, not just for himself, but for the team. The rain figured to be around for awhile. For all the trouble he had earlier in the game, it looks like he struck out the side in the fifth on just 11 pitches. With a delay imminent, he was able to aggressively and efficiently attack the strike zone when he needed to.
True. The home plate umpire also expanded his strike zone in the top of the 5th. Anything close was being called a strike.
__________________

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:39 PM
KenBerryGrab KenBerryGrab is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madison, Wis.
Posts: 2,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
True. The home plate umpire also expanded his strike zone in the top of the 5th. Anything close was being called a strike.
Farmer and DJ had a laugh over the expansion. You'd best be swinging.
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic10044_1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-18-2019, 09:25 PM
XplodingScorbord XplodingScorbord is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just off the DFW flight path
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It actually started after he allowed the two base-runners in the 4th. He seemed to say **** it and start throwing more heat. The next two guys popped out and then he blew through the 5th.

Maybe he decided to let it hang out because he figured he wasn't coming back out anyway because even if they were going to resume the wait would have been too long and they'd have gone to the pen. Regardless, me likey the new Gio...
Yeah, me likey too. This kid is learning how he needs to work to be successful. People seem to think all these guys have been playing baseball for 15+ years, what do they need to learn? They need to learn how to play major league caliber baseball. Itís different than pony league.
__________________
**Xploding Scorbord**
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-18-2019, 10:03 PM
BRDSR BRDSR is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Japan
Posts: 2,046
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We're going to need it, the upcoming roadtrip with 4 against the Astros and 3 against the Twinkies is going to be tough.


Iím not worried about the Astros. If you donít count their two separate 10-game win streaks in less than two months of play, theyíre 4 games under .500. Color me unimpressed.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 PM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 7,248
Default

So what if it is shortened game? A win is a win!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Back to two under .500. This seems to be the albatross high point. Get the win tomorrow, boys.
This team has seemingly has a mental block when it gets near .500. Time to change that.
__________________
TWTW
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-18-2019, 11:41 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
This team has seemingly has a mental block when it gets near .500. Time to change that.

I thought it had more to do with being two or three pitchers short in the starting rotation department than anything mental.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.