Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2020, 05:29 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default Madrigal positive press

I think he'll get an extension and be with us March 26th, Nice write up on his potential:
https://www.mlb.com/news/top-second-...pects-for-2020

Old 01-21-2020, 07:49 PM
WSI Personality

The 1B article a few days ago also had high praise for Vaughn. He's the #1-rated 1B, and is the second-highest ranked 1B they've had since 2011 (Bellinger was higher a few years ago).

They rank Vaughn as having the highest hit tool, highest power tool (tied), highest floor, and highest ceiling.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-first-b...eline-coverage
Old 01-22-2020, 07:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

This is exciting...I feel like we'll have a really good offense already, and we have two top hitters in the minors coming. Both capable of high average and putting the ball in play. This team will be exciting for the next 4+ years!!

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 01-22-2020, 07:56 AM
WSI High Priest

There's a writer at Fangraphs who is big on Madrigal, though that site's search function is not letting me find it this morning.

I'd definitely disagree with the MLB article giving Madrigal the "highest floor" of any of those prospects. Unless he develops some power, he would have to get on base at an astounding rate. Which he might do, but it would certainly be riskier to sign him to an extension than Robert or Eloy.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 01-22-2020, 08:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
This is exciting...I feel like we'll have a really good offense already, and we have two top hitters in the minors coming. Both capable of high average and putting the ball in play. This team will be exciting for the next 4+ years!!

A future infield of Moncada-Anderson-Madrigal-Vaughn sounds pretty exciting to me! When was the last time the Sox potentially* had such a solid infield?

*if Madrigal and Vaughn live up to their potential
Old 01-22-2020, 08:35 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
There's a writer at Fangraphs who is big on Madrigal, though that site's search function is not letting me find it this morning.

I'd definitely disagree with the MLB article giving Madrigal the "highest floor" of any of those prospects. Unless he develops some power, he would have to get on base at an astounding rate. Which he might do, but it would certainly be riskier to sign him to an extension than Robert or Eloy.
By floor, they just mean somebody who is almost guaranteed to be a long-term major leaguer. That's Madrigal - he's going to hit for a pretty good average and play excellent defense, even without power, and there's always a spot in the league for those guys. Other players have higher ceilings in that they have more power potential, but don't have Madrigal's guaranteed tools so they have a better chance of completely washing out of the league.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:38 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
A future infield of Moncada-Anderson-Madrigal-Vaughn sounds pretty exciting to me! When was the last time the Sox potentially* had such a solid infield?

*if Madrigal and Vaughn live up to their potential
Not to understate Frank Thomas, but that stacks up pretty well with any of these:

-Thomas/Konerko-Durham-Valentin-Perry
-Thomas-Cora-Guillen-Ventura
-Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede
-Konerko, Alexei, Orlando Cabrera, Crede
Old 01-22-2020, 08:38 AM
WSI Personality

I'm a stat guy, and by that I mean that I have a pretty good sense of what stats can and can't measure. I believe there are aspects of Madrigal's game that the stats haven't caught up with. From all accounts (college teammates, pro teammates, coaches) he seems to have the "it" factor, whatever that is, and he's gong to help us win a lot of games.

<Insert Mahoney eye-roll here>
Old 01-22-2020, 09:12 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I'm a stat guy, and by that I mean that I have a pretty good sense of what stats can and can't measure. I believe there are aspects of Madrigal's game that the stats haven't caught up with. From all accounts (college teammates, pro teammates, coaches) he seems to have the "it" factor, whatever that is, and he's gong to help us win a lot of games.

<Insert Mahoney eye-roll here>
There are absolutely intangibles that stats can't yet measure and I think the best baseball writers acknowledge that.

What's interesting about Madrigal is he seems like such a throwback, and I think with the number of strikeouts increasing in baseball batting average has actually become an undervalued stat. I'm really curious to see how he plays in the majors.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
FG is high on him in general. Their ZIPS predictions say he'll have a .278/.330/.366 slash his rookie season with a 1.7 fWAR. They like everything about him except for his lack of power and lower walk rate. Their comp for him is Nellie Fox. Yes please.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:03 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
FG is high on him in general. Their ZIPS predictions say he'll have a .278/.330/.366 slash his rookie season with a 1.7 fWAR. They like everything about him except for his lack of power and lower walk rate. Their comp for him is Nellie Fox. Yes please.
Has there been anyone in the past 20 years or so that has played in the majors that is comparable to Nellie Fox? Ichiro maybe?
Old 01-22-2020, 10:11 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

This is the one guy that I am really hoping for. I need someone on this team to like.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah I'm very much looking forward to seeing how his game will translate to the majors. I hate K's which he avoids well, and he also figures to be an excellent situational hitter which winning clubs absolutely need. Hopefully he's up sooner rather than later.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Did you guys read this? Good video of Madrigal, included.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipelin...eline-coverage

Quote:
2B: Nick Madrigal, White Sox No. 4/MLB No. 40
Madrigal was viewed as the best defensive player in the 2018 Draft -- when the White Sox selected him with the No. 4 overall pick -- and lived up to that reputation his first full season, committing just two errors in 108 games (.992 fielding percentage) across three levels en route to a MiLB Rawlings Gold Glove Award. His glove, range and arm could make him a Gold Glover in the big leagues, and executives widely agree that the 22-year-old has the highest baseball IQ among prospects.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Did you guys read this? Good video of Madrigal, included.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipelin...eline-coverage
That's some play. That fielding % for a middle infielder is something too. We eagerly await same.