White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 AM
WSI Personality

Default Celebration Songs

Ok, I haven't been to many games recently, and not been able to watch on tv very often. What songs are being played after a home run and a victory?

I think NaNa Hey Hey is still played after pitching changes, but not after HR's and the rare Sox win. So much for "Tradition".
Old 07-10-2018, 12:58 PM
WSI Guru

The song typically heard right after wins is Victorious by Panic! at the Disco. They still play Sweet Home Chicago, too.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

It doesn't seem right not hearing "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" after home runs.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
The song typically heard right after wins is Victorious by Panic! at the Disco. They still play Sweet Home Chicago, too.

Ok. Don't know if I know it or not. Will have to check youtube.

I was at a game about a month ago and there was a home run, and they actually won, and no NaNa...really kind of unfulfilling in the entertainment category. Disappointing.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
It doesn't seem right not hearing "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" after home runs.
No it doesn't feel right.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

When did they decide to piss on tradition like this

This is terrible. The "charge!" notes morphing into nananana was always piff. Was this Reifert's idea
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
When did they decide to piss on tradition like this

This is terrible. The "charge!" notes morphing into nananana was always piff. Was this Reifert's idea
Iím actually stunned at the reactions here as if this just happened this year. The Steam song hasnít been used after a homer or after the end of a game in at least 15 years, if not longer. Might be closer to 20 years. It was phased out years ago... well before the 2005 season.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
I donít think it would feel right if they DID play it now. Itís been that long. Itís almost been phased out for the same amount of time as it was in existence.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:45 PM
WSI Guru

Guys, I like Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye as much as the next Sox fan, but y'all need to chill. It's quite possible the song is resonating with fewer people coming to games and thus, they didn't feel they had to emphasize it as much with Nancy gone.

On top of that, newer fans need their own traditions to latch onto. Nowadays, more people see to hate that Thunderstruck isn't played at the start of games so much anymore.

This thread is one more example of why people pile onto baseball purists for not wanting anything to change ever. Not all change is good, but to never want the game or game-day experience to evolve is just silly. If baseball was really true to what it once was, everything would be exactly as how it was in the mid-19th century, and I don't think the game would have survived that way.

The below video shows exactly how some of you are sounding:

Old 07-11-2018, 08:19 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Guys, I like Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye as much as the next Sox fan, but y'all need to chill. It's quite possible the song is resonating with fewer people coming to games and thus, they didn't feel they had to emphasize it as much with Nancy gone.

On top of that, newer fans need their own traditions to latch onto. Nowadays, more people see to hate that Thunderstruck isn't played at the start of games so much anymore.

This thread is one more example of why people pile onto baseball purists for not wanting anything to change ever. Not all change is good, but to never want the game or game-day experience to evolve is just silly. If baseball was really true to what it once was, everything would be exactly as how it was in the mid-19th century, and I don't think the game would have survived that way.

The below video shows exactly how some of you are sounding:

Um the song was basically the adopted fight song for our team, kind of like a Note Dame, Wisconsin or Michigan fight song, or the Cubs having guests for the 7th inning stretch,nor Boston Sweet Caroline. But what do the Sox do but piss away all that is unique and turn us into homogenized..fill in the blank, anywho ballpark organization. The song in my opinion had a powerful unique antagonistic quality to the opposing team. Oh well if I have that opinion.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:25 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
Um the song was basically the adopted fight song for our team, kind of like a Note Dame, Wisconsin or Michigan fight song, or the Cubs having guests for the 7th inning stretch,nor Boston Sweet Caroline. But what do the Sox do but piss away all that is unique and turn us into homogenized..fill in the blank, anywho ballpark organization. The song in my opinion had a powerful unique antagonistic quality to the opposing team. Oh well if I have that opinion.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Not to sound like an old man, but the "Na, Na, Na" has special meaning for me because I was a kid when it became popular with the Sox and reminds me of being a 10-year-old again when I all had to worry about was why Wayne Nordhagen or Bill Nahorodny struck out in an important at-bat.

Also, I was fortunate enough to be there at Game 1 of the 2005 playoffs against Boston when former Cub great Matt Clement got his ass handed to him by our Sox.

As Clement was leaving the field when he was pulled, it was amazing to hear our Sox fans singing - in my case, screaming - the song along with everyone else.

It was as though the good fans of the South Side were saying "This is OUR turn, Red Sox Nation. Bleep you!"

In all honesty, if they don't play it now, it doesn't bother me that much. I just want the Sox to win. I would be upset, however, if they brought back DJ Joe Stephan (sp?) That was not good. At all
Old 07-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

I THINK they stopped playing it after home runs in the '90s but I know they still played during pitching changes while Nancy was here. After she left it did seem like it became rarer, or at the very least, a bit more faint.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:21 PM
WSI Personality

To me, after Nancy left it kind of took on a funeralish dirge quality. It was slowed down and almost sang with zero excitement. I don't admire much the Cubs do, but you see when their opponent makes a pitching change on comes YMCA. I don't like that song but it really seems to energize that stadium. I'd kinda like to see the Sox do that with the actual Steam song not just the sad organ version. The actual Steam song has an energy to it, and lately it seems all that old has been vintage or hip. Just my $.02
Old 07-12-2018, 12:23 PM
WSI Personality

I also really miss the refrain from "runaround Sue". Just things I remember from my youth that probably should have remained White Sox traditions, but I think we sold our organization's collective soul to Chance the Rapper a few years ago, in a rather misguided move. It hasnt really paid off and Ive seen Chance photographed in Cubs headgear, so "Channy from 79th" isnt very loyal to the south side.