White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
By the way, who won that division in 1990? The A’s, who were last in the division in batting average but led the division in home runs. So the “little things” didn’t really win games back then, either.
By the way, who won the World Series in 1988? It was the Dodgers behind pitching, defense, situational hitting.

The only game the A's won in that 1988 series was by playing small ball.

Would you like to look at the 1990 World Series?

The little things, like balance and fundamentals, always matter.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 07-22-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Anyone of note playing 3B at A+? If not, why not see what Madrigal can do there?
Ti-quan Forbes is the 3b at A+, and he’s been playing pretty well lately.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:01 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Make it another 3 hit game for Rutherford.

Ditto for Eloy.

Really like Rutherford the more I see him. He has elite baseball body written all over him.
I agree about Rutherford. He impresses me more each day. and he's only 21.

He only has six home runs, but he leads the entire White Sox farm system with 65 RBI's this year. Imagine what he might do if he did hit 20-25 home runs a year.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:48 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
At a minimum, Shields and Soria both should be moved in a few weeks. That opens two spots.

As for that "logjam" in the outfield, you can go ahead and split a few of those logs and throw them onto the fire. It's only a "logjam" if we're looking to keep all those guys long-term. Honestly, we shouldn't be looking to keep any of them long-term. Eloy is the only player of consequence in that list, and I'm hoping he eventually gets moved to DH once three other outfielders emerge. Ideally, it would be something like Basabe in CF, Adolfo in RF, and Robert in LF, with Eloy at DH.
Agreed on all counts. My use of the term “logjam” was in the sense that, unless Avi is traded or someone gets hurt, for the rest of this year and probably all of 2019, DH will be the only slot where the Sox can give ABs to these “all bat/no field” guys, and there won’t be much space on the 25-man roster for them.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
I know it's not how things are typically done, but occasionally guys skip levels. Another week of this and maybe you put Madrigal in AA. He's a special talent with a good head on his shoulders -- I really doubt he'd be overmatched or that it would get to him if he struggled for 2 weeks getting acclimated. He's 21 and a half years old and his greatest strengths (contact skills and defense) happen to be the things that often keep guys from being promoted aggressively.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
At a minimum, Shields and Soria both should be moved in a few weeks. That opens two spots.

As for that "logjam" in the outfield, you can go ahead and split a few of those logs and throw them onto the fire. It's only a "logjam" if we're looking to keep all those guys long-term. Honestly, we shouldn't be looking to keep any of them long-term. Eloy is the only player of consequence in that list, and I'm hoping he eventually gets moved to DH once three other outfielders emerge. Ideally, it would be something like Basabe in CF, Adolfo in RF, and Robert in LF, with Eloy at DH.
Trade Palka. He's the guy with the most trade value, and he's at best a LH DH long term especially on the Sox. He'd make a nice sweetener to a deal with Shields/Soria as the core piece.

I know people like the kid and with good reason, but he's not a long term piece for the Sox probably and he'll bring back some value. Delmonico can be the LH DH platoon piece for the rest of the season.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Trade Palka. He's the guy with the most trade value, and he's at best a LH DH long term especially on the Sox. He'd make a nice sweetener to a deal with Shields/Soria as the core piece.

I know people like the kid and with good reason, but he's not a long term piece for the Sox probably and he'll bring back some value. Delmonico can be the LH DH platoon piece for the rest of the season.
He's probably a better first-base option for the Mariners than Vogelbach...
Old 07-22-2018, 09:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
I agree about Rutherford. He impresses me more each day. and he's only 21.

He only has six home runs, but he leads the entire White Sox farm system with 65 RBI's this year. Imagine what he might do if he did hit 20-25 home runs a year.
It amazes me how often he is overlooked even though he is clearly incredibly talented. A guy putting up low k, high hit, and high rbi numbers at 20 years old is extremely impressive. I also think his body fills out, and he begins to up his home run rate. He probably finishes the season with 8 to 10 home runs. That is not super impressive, but. A marked improvement. He is the guy you have to be patient with, and could reward you if you are.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:58 AM
WSI Guru

Don't know if anybody saw this but RR said Nate Jones suffered a "setback" in Charlotte and will be shut down for two weeks.

And has anybody heard anything with Zangari?
Old 07-22-2018, 02:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz
By the way, who won the World Series in 1988? It was the Dodgers behind pitching, defense, situational hitting.

The only game the A's won in that 1988 series was by playing small ball.

Would you like to look at the 1990 World Series?

The little things, like balance and fundamentals, always matter.
Once again, this all took place three decades ago. I would rather look at the 2017 World Series or the 2016 World Series for guidance.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Don't know if anybody saw this but RR said Nate Jones suffered a "setback" in Charlotte and will be shut down for two weeks.

And has anybody heard anything with Zangari?
First report said he would be out for "a while".
Old 07-22-2018, 05:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Once again, this all took place three decades ago. I would rather look at the 2017 World Series or the 2016 World Series for guidance.

You're the one that threw out the 1990 A's as an example.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz
You're the one that threw out the 1990 A's as an example.
Only because the 1990 White Sox were brought up first.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Madrigal with 0 k's in 40 at bats.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I am not surprised by that statement one bit.
Closed Thread