GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Having personally known Bill and talked about this with him one of the factors was that he had hurt his hip in 1959 and missed about six weeks. It was in fact a down year for him and that probably influenced Lopez' decision. Also the fact that Bob Shaw played so well came into play.

No question Bill was hurt by the decision but it was out of his hands as he told me in his interview:

ML: Your career continued to roll along culminating with the pennant year of 1959. For the city and the team it was the pinnacle of success, but for you personally, it wasn’t your best season. You missed six weeks with a hip injury and when it came time for the World Series, Manager Al Lopez passed you over for a starting assignment. Older Sox fans still insist, if you start Game #2, instead of Bob Shaw, and win, the Sox take the Series. How difficult was that for you being relegated to only four innings of relief work?

BP: "It was very tough. It was a real hard thing. I appeared in three games and pitched well but it was a disappointment. I still wanted the Sox to win, after all, they were my teammates but I was very glad when it was over. Let’s put it this way, I left town pretty quickly to try to forget about it all."

ML: Did that affect your relationship with Lopez, and what did you think of him as a manager?

BP: "Al was a real good manager. His record shows that. He was a solid percentage baseball guy. I honestly think the controversy affected Al more than me. I wasn’t the culprit; all I could do was what he told me. He had to listen to the fans who wanted me to pitch but I couldn’t do anything about it."

From everything I've heard and been told Al respected Bill and there weren't any issues between them. He just felt that Bill's injury may have compromised his ability to win in the series. Looking back it was a mistake because in a limited role Bill pitched well but at the time, Al made the decision he thought best based on the information he had at the time.
This is great, Lip, thanks for the elucidation.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Good stuff that I didn't know. Thx. And I'm the one who keeps telling you he was on the Tigers' roster in the '45 WS but didn't play.
Correct. At his home among his extensive memorabilia he had his 1945 Tigers warm up jacket, his game worn 1959 Sox World Series uniform (which his kids used to wear for Halloween!) and his game worn 1962 Giants uniform.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Just to be picky Frank himself was on the 2005 team and received a ring while on the DL. He played in 34 games and had an OPS of .905 including a 1.026 OPS with 8 HR and a .698 SLG in the month of June when the Sox ran away with the division.
I know. I'm linking 2 who played in the World Series.

Still hard to believe we went 11-1 without Hurt, imagine if he was healthy. Undefeated postseason.

Forgot Harold played with Paulie in 2000. So there are even less degrees of separation between the last 2 titles.

If I have time, I will list all 87 eliminations, the 2nd longest streak. Before I had internet access, I tried to gather this info about the flubs using microfiche at the Harold Washington Library, lol, but gave up after 1910.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Al Lopez in my book is the best Sox manager of all time but he made a huge mistake when he started Wynn on 2 days rest in game 6. Early pitched well in game 1 when the Sox blew out the Dodgers 11-0, not so good in game in game 4 when LA touched Wynn for 4 runs in the 4th. Game 6 came around and the Dodgers jumped all over Wynn again, different outcome if Billy started game 6? I like to think so.

My Dad who was a big Billy Pierce and Nellie Fox fan never forgave Lopez for not giving Billy Pierce a start in the '59 series. He liked to point out what a huge mistake it was for starting the aging Early Wynn on short rest and should've used Billy Pierce in that game. To bolster his argument he said in 1962 when the Giants were trailing the Yankees 3 games to 2, Pierce started and won Game 6 for the Giants forcing a 7th game, which the Giants almost won when Willie McCovey's 9th inning smash to Bobby Richardson ended the series.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Thanks. Who else had a Sox career that couldn't end soon enough?

Navarro was certainly one.
That's easy. Adam Dunn.

I've been a Sox fan for 45+ years and had partial season tickets in the late 80's, so I have a high tolerance for pain.

But watching that slug just sucked the life out of me like no other. I'd rather eat sand than watch him.

“It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck