White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2017, 08:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Abreu would be seeking 4 or 5 years after 2019. 4 or 5 years now is a non-starter.
Why would it be a non-starter now? Has he said so?

To the best of my knowledge he has made no statements at all about his contract desires. Perhaps I missed something but I don't think so. That means we really have no idea just speculation.

My speculation is that he will want a big contract for as many years as he can get and to stay with the White Sox if they offer something reasonable. Doesn't mean he'll find a 4 or 5 years contract with an option year (or two) acceptable but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he did either.

Do you have an inside scoop on his thinking?
Old 12-12-2017, 08:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White
Why would it be a non-starter now? Has he said so?

To the best of my knowledge he has made no statements at all about his contract desires. Perhaps I missed something but I don't think so. That means we really have no idea just speculation.

My speculation is that he will want a big contract for as many years as he can get and to stay with the White Sox if they offer something reasonable. Doesn't mean he'll find a 4 or 5 years contract with an option year (or two) acceptable but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he did either.

Do you have an inside scoop on his thinking?
Iím just looking at comparables. Edwin Encarnacion got 3 years going into his age-34 season. Victor Martinez got 4 years going into his age-35 season. Iím thinking that Abreu would command 4 or 5 years heading into his age-33 season, and settling for an extension that buys out only 2 free agent years is a non-starter.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I can live with the Sox not trading Abreu for a return of underwhelming prospects.
Agreed. Rick Hahn shouldn't be operating with a "chicken little" mentality and feel pressured to trade Abreu now because he might walk after the 2019 season.

I'm in favor of trading him if the return is right, but the Sox should view themselves in the drivers seat of any such deal.

Is it possible that the Sox sit tight now and Abreu ends up walking for the 2020 season? Yes, there is that risk. But we're not Oakland and we shouldn't be in a rush to dump top talent whenever free agency starts to appear on the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Perhaps, but not necessarily. Don't underestimate the willingness of teams to get desperate and overpay at the trade deadline in July.

Hahn was criticized on this board last offseason for not trading Quintana, because some believed Quintana's value was at its highest point at that time. Not necessarily. The Sox still got a pretty decent return for him midseason, even after Quintana had what was for him a poor first half.

A player's market is always fluid, and I think it's a mistake to say with certainty that Abreu's value will never be higher. I don't know that any club is going to give up the crown jewels for Abreu this offseason, knowing there are viable free-agent 1B on the market right now.

For all we know there will be a contending club that is desperate for a power bat in July.
Spot on. There was so much moaning last offseason about how Hahn missed the boat with Quintana by failing to trade him and that his value will go nowhere but down. Once the trade went down in July, the backpedaling on that began.

White Sox Baseball 2011-2016*
Passion!
Pride!
Tradition!

*except for 3 months in mid 2012 and 5 weeks in early 2016
Old 12-13-2017, 11:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77
Is it possible that the Sox sit tight now and Abreu? Yes, there is that risk. But we're not Oakland and we shouldn't be in a rush to dump top talent whenever free agency starts to appear on the horizon.
The Oakland comparison is comparing apples to oranges. Oakland does this in years when they expect to compete as well as years when they expect to rebuild. Iím not advocating that the White Sox trade anybody when the competitive window opens, but while itís still closed, I want them to go ahead and keep trading veterans for youth whenever possible. Even the Yankees traded away big-time talent in 2016 (while still on the outer fringes of Wild Card contention, no less) when they sensed that their competitive window was not yet opened.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:32 PM
WSI Prelate

IF the Sox get a good offer, they should move Abreu; and that good offer may come in July.
The risk with Quintana wasn't really that there wouldn't be good offers in July, but that he may be off his game in July, diminishing his value. Well, he was, frankly, off his game, and the Sox still got a great offer.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
IF the Sox get a good offer, they should move Abreu; and that good offer may come in July.
The risk with Quintana wasn't really that there wouldn't be good offers in July, but that he may be off his game in July, diminishing his value. Well, he was, frankly, off his game, and the Sox still got a great offer.
If the best any team is offering in the offseason is subpar, then there is not much risk in waiting until the trade deadline to make a deal, especially for a hitter versus a pitcher. Subpar in December only trumps subpar in July because of an injury risk and the fact that you have to pay the player until July.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc
If the best any team is offering in the offseason is subpar, then there is not much risk in waiting until the trade deadline to make a deal, especially for a hitter versus a pitcher. Subpar in December only trumps subpar in July because of an injury risk and the fact that you have to pay the player until July.
True, but this is already implied. In this trade, the team with designs on competing in 2018 is going to be the team with the sense of urgency to get something done, not the team in the midst of a rebuild. I would like to think that teams are long past the point of trying to waste Hahnís time by engaging in talks that have no chance of going anywhere.

I think Boston is still interested, and I think talks will gain steam if Eric Hosmer lands in San Diego. For their part, the White Sox could make out like bandits if they can either take on Hanley Ramirezís contract or find a third team to take Bradley Jr. for more prospects.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:33 PM
WSI Personality

Red Sox just resigned Moreland. Might end the Abreu to BOS rumors.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-moreland.html
Old 12-18-2017, 05:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres
Red Sox just resigned Moreland. Might end the Abreu to BOS rumors.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-moreland.html
Yeah, without either treating Moreland as a lefty bat off the bench or moving Hanley Ramirez to free up a spot at DH, the Red Sox wonít be able to accommodate Abreu.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

If you are wondering why talks never really went anywhere, Heyman said that the White Sox werenít high on the Red Sox prospects and they asked for Benintendi.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX
If you are wondering why talks never really went anywhere, Heyman said that the White Sox werenít high on the Red Sox prospects and they asked for Benintendi.
One hundred...billion...dollars!
Old 12-30-2017, 08:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Old 12-30-2017, 09:55 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
As well they should. Boston's system is barren.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
As well they should. Boston's system is barren.
That depends on who else was going to Boston in addition to Abreu. If the package was something like Abreu and Avi for Benintendi and minor league filler, at least both parties have a starting point for negotiations. If the asking price was for Abreu alone, I think it would be more diplomatic to just say ďWeíre not interested in trading Abreu right nowĒ instead of asking for a player who is far more valuable than the player you are bringing to the trade.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:11 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

FWIW Heyman said the front office is serious about not wanting to trade Abreu and that it would take a deal like that for them to move him.