White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,084
Default

Ted Williams
Willie Mays
Mickey Mantle
Roberto Clemente
Frank Thomas

Hated to omit my all time favorite player but while Nellie was the best second baseman of his time he was not one of the best players I've ever seen.

So many more great players that I have seen in person and it hurts to omit them but its tough with only 5 to pick. Frank makes the list because he is tied with all the other great players that didn't make the list but he wins the tie breaker because he was a White Sox.

I left out Henry Aaron because one day after a Milwaukee Braves-Cubs game in 1958 at Wrigley, I was able to get every autograph of the World Champion Braves except Aaron, he was on the team bus with the window down and I said Mr. Aaron, can I have your autograph, he looked at me and said "I'm Wes Covington'' and rolled up the window. Well trust me, at 12 years old I knew every player in MLB (only 16 teams) and certainly knew Henry Aaron from watching TV and from all the Topps baseball cards I owned starting in 1953. 61 years ago and I remember that day like it was yesterday and have never forgiven Aaron.

I'm thinking that there should be a separate list of the 5 best pitchers.
__________________
Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-16-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-16-2019, 12:45 PM
SaltyPretzel SaltyPretzel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Loop
Posts: 2,452
Default

Might not necessarily be the 5 best, but my favorites to watch:

Frank Thomas
George Brett
Cal Ripken Jr.
Robin Yount
Dave Winfield
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:02 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 27,993
Default

1. Aaron Rowand
2. Aaron Rowand
3. Aaron Rowand
4. Aaron Rowand
5. Aaron Rowand

Why is there a debate?
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Actually close to 60 Years. At the time there was never a shortstop like Banks. If you are asking if there have been better since, of course there have been. Different eras.
Aparicio was a better SS with much better range than Ernie but Ernie was the better hitter and a very good SS even though the Cubs moved him to first base in the middle of his career, he wound up playing more games at first than at SS.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-16-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-16-2019, 02:54 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 6,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Ted Williams
Willie Mays
Mickey Mantle
Roberto Clemente
Frank Thomas

Hated to omit my all time favorite player but while Nellie was the best second baseman of his time he was not one of the best players I've ever seen.

So many more great players that I have seen in person and it hurts to omit them but its tough with only 5 to pick. Frank makes the list because he is tied with all the other great players that didn't make the list but he wins the tie breaker because he was a White Sox.

I left out Henry Aaron because one day after a Milwaukee Braves-Cubs game in 1958 at Wrigley, I was able to get every autograph of the World Champion Braves except Aaron, he was on the team bus with the window down and I said Mr. Aaron, can I have your autograph, he looked at me and said "I'm Wes Covington'' and rolled up the window. Well trust me, at 12 years old I knew every player in MLB (only 16 teams) and certainly knew Henry Aaron from watching TV and from all the Topps baseball cards I owned starting in 1953. 61 years ago and I remember that day like it was yesterday and have never forgiven Aaron.

I'm thinking that there should be a separate list of the 5 best pitchers.
Thanks for sharing this story. I always say if I can't get what I want, I hope to at least get a good story out of it and you definitely got one here!
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,908
Default

Top five from my youth, as I recall it:

George Brett
Mike Schmidt
Ozzie Smith - greatest defensive player of all time
Rickey Henderson
Kirby Puckett

Whitaker/Trammell, along with Harold deserve special mention. The first two were in a class by themselves when at the top of their game. Hated seeing the Tigers back in the eighties. Harold was by far my favorite Sox player.
__________________
Fire Rinky Hahliams!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Thanks for sharing this story. I always say if I can't get what I want, I hope to at least get a good story out of it and you definitely got one here!
I got to shake Stan the Man Musials hand after a game at Wrigley that same year and hated leaving him off my list.

BTW Wes Covington wasn't a bad hitter and spent some time with the Sox in 1961.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-16-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Ted Williams
Willie Mays
Mickey Mantle
Roberto Clemente
Frank Thomas

Hated to omit my all time favorite player but while Nellie was the best second baseman of his time he was not one of the best players I've ever seen.

So many more great players that I have seen in person and it hurts to omit them but its tough with only 5 to pick. Frank makes the list because he is tied with all the other great players that didn't make the list but he wins the tie breaker because he was a White Sox.

I left out Henry Aaron because one day after a Milwaukee Braves-Cubs game in 1958 at Wrigley, I was able to get every autograph of the World Champion Braves except Aaron, he was on the team bus with the window down and I said Mr. Aaron, can I have your autograph, he looked at me and said "I'm Wes Covington'' and rolled up the window. Well trust me, at 12 years old I knew every player in MLB (only 16 teams) and certainly knew Henry Aaron from watching TV and from all the Topps baseball cards I owned starting in 1953. 61 years ago and I remember that day like it was yesterday and have never forgiven Aaron.

I'm thinking that there should be a separate list of the 5 best pitchers.
My freshman English teacher at Munster High told me about going to see the Red Sox at old Comiskey in the '50s and seeing Ted Williams hitting a sharp laser of a line drive into Nellie Foxes glove in short right field -- not just on the outfield grass. I only saw Fox as a coach for Williams with in Texas in 1972. Williams was in the dugout. I got Fox to autograph my program after he was finished working with the catcher on pop fouls. After batting practice with Dick Billings (I think) crouched behind him, Fox, facing center field, popped up fungoes that came down in foul territory just in front of the screen behind the plate, with the catcher running back to catch them. I couldn't get Williams attention to sign my first edition of his book The Science of Hitting, which I had brought to the park in hopes of getting Williams' autograph.

The thing about thinking about the best players you ever saw is that if you've been going to baseball for decades, you've seen a lot of great players you didn't think about at the time. Roberto Clemente was a great player when I saw him play in the 1960s, but he didn't have a great day. I saw Carl Yastrzemski drop a routine fly on a cold Sunday afternoon at Old Comiskey, parlay that with being at the old park on the Sunday afternoon when Ron Santo hit an inside-the-park home run in red pinstripes and you know you've been to a lot of baseball.

Judging the greatest that you saw is tricky, even if you remember all the names. If you have to use statistics, you really don't belong in the conversation. Henry Aaron, for example, might have played a dozen games in the old park when he was finishing his career with the Brewers, but he wasn't the great Henry Aaron at the time just as Ken Griffey Jr. with the White Sox wasn't the one remembered in the Hall of Fame or Willie Mays at the end with the Mets isn't the Willies Mays in the statue outside of the ballpark in San Francisco.

The Frank Thomas I saw in the early 1990s, the Tony Oliva I saw in the late 1960s, may have been the best offensive players I've ever seen, though not in that order and recognizing that I've seen Mike Trout. I might add the 1960s Frank Robinson as well. And if you're just talking 1972 and just talking offense ...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:28 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
My freshman English teacher at Munster High told me about going to see the Red Sox at old Comiskey in the '50s and seeing Ted Williams hitting a sharp laser of a line drive into Nellie Foxes glove in short right field -- not just on the outfield grass. I only saw Fox as a coach for Williams with in Texas in 1972. Williams was in the dugout. I got Fox to autograph my program after he was finished working with the catcher on pop fouls. After batting practice with Dick Billings (I think) crouched behind him, Fox, facing center field, popped up fungoes that came down in foul territory just in front of the screen behind the plate, with the catcher running back to catch them. I couldn't get Williams attention to sign my first edition of his book The Science of Hitting, which I had brought to the park in hopes of getting Williams' autograph.

The thing about thinking about the best players you ever saw is that if you've been going to baseball for decades, you've seen a lot of great players you didn't think about at the time. Roberto Clemente was a great player when I saw him play in the 1960s, but he didn't have a great day. I saw Carl Yastrzemski drop a routine fly on a cold Sunday afternoon at Old Comiskey, parlay that with being at the old park on the Sunday afternoon when Ron Santo hit an inside-the-park home run in red pinstripes and you know you've been to a lot of baseball.

Judging the greatest that you saw is tricky, even if you remember all the names. If you have to use statistics, you really don't belong in the conversation. Henry Aaron, for example, might have played a dozen games in the old park when he was finishing his career with the Brewers, but he wasn't the great Henry Aaron at the time just as Ken Griffey Jr. with the White Sox wasn't the one remembered in the Hall of Fame or Willie Mays at the end with the Mets isn't the Willies Mays in the statue outside of the ballpark in San Francisco.

The Frank Thomas I saw in the early 1990s, the Tony Oliva I saw in the late 1960s, may have been the best offensive players I've ever seen, though not in that order and recognizing that I've seen Mike Trout. I might add the 1960s Frank Robinson as well. And if you're just talking 1972 and just talking offense ...
Some excellent points. I had to think about Teddy Ballgame as my first pick, I saw him play in 59 and 60 at the end of his career but he could still hit but wasn't the hitter he was when he hit .406 in 1941. Because I consider him the best hitter of all time I still put him at #1. Remember, he missed 5 prime years of his career serving in the military, he gets points for that too.
As far as Clemente goes, I have often thought that Roberto would be my first pick if I was starting an expansion team, he was the consummate 5 tool player with the best arm of any outfielder I've ever seen.
Loved your Nellie Fox memories.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-16-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 3,359
Default

My first game ever was in 1981. My highest concentration of games was the late Ď80ís through 2002, so in no particular order Iím going with this group:

Frank Thomas
Griffey Jr
Ripken
Ichiro
Pete Rose

Other HOF that could be included:

Fisk
Dawson
Sandberg
Haaaaarold
Puckett
Winfield
Eddie Murray
Thome
Yount
Molitor
Raines
Ricky Henderson
Reggie Jackson
__________________
What is Mind? -- Doesn't Matter!
What is Matter? -- Never Mind!
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:53 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Hated to omit my all time favorite player but while Nellie was the best second baseman of his time he was not one of the best players I've ever seen.
That's why I didn't post my list. When I got to five and hadn't included Nellie, I couldn't bring myself to hit the "submit reply" button. He was my favorite of all time, but among the best five baseball players I had seen? No.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:59 AM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Some excellent points. I had to think about Teddy Ballgame as my first pick, I saw him play in 59 and 60 at the end of his career but he could still hit but wasn't the hitter he was when he hit .406 in 1941. Because I consider him the best hitter of all time I still put him at #1. Remember, he missed 5 prime years of his career serving in the military, he gets points for that too.
As far as Clemente goes, I have often thought that Roberto would be my first pick if I was starting an expansion team, he was the consummate 5 tool player with the best arm of any outfielder I've ever seen.
Loved your Nellie Fox memories.
I still think that if Ted Williams hadn't missed those prime years he'd be the consensus greatest of all time. He was still an above-average player in his 40's. He was talking about exit velocity, launch angles, and the benefit of taking tons of walks decades before those things went mainstream. He was so ahead of his time.

This list was so hard to come up with:

Frank Thomas
Ken Griffey Jr
Mike Trout
Rickey Henderson
Johan Santana

Johan was a beast in his prime. His career resembles Koufax's. We all remember how he dominated the Sox prior to his injuries. When he was on, he was untouchable.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:38 PM
Zisk77 Zisk77 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edwardsville Il
Posts: 2,060
Default

Not Sure but I did see:

Frank Thomas
Willie Stargell
Mike Schmidt
Rod Carew
Albnert Pujols

Others in consideration
Carlton Fisk
Barry Bonds
Tom Glavine
Harold Baines
Chipper Jones
Jeff Bagwell
Alan Trammell
Lance Berkman
Gary Sheffiel
Jim Thome
Ken Griffey Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-18-2019, 10:54 AM
hdog1017 hdog1017 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,143
Default

Griffey Jr
Trout
A-Rod
Bonds (on juice)
Gwynn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.