White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Ted Williams
Willie Mays
Mickey Mantle
Roberto Clemente
Frank Thomas

Hated to omit my all time favorite player but while Nellie was the best second baseman of his time he was not one of the best players I've ever seen.

So many more great players that I have seen in person and it hurts to omit them but its tough with only 5 to pick. Frank makes the list because he is tied with all the other great players that didn't make the list but he wins the tie breaker because he was a White Sox.

I left out Henry Aaron because one day after a Milwaukee Braves-Cubs game in 1958 at Wrigley, I was able to get every autograph of the World Champion Braves except Aaron, he was on the team bus with the window down and I said Mr. Aaron, can I have your autograph, he looked at me and said "I'm Wes Covington'' and rolled up the window. Well trust me, at 12 years old I knew every player in MLB (only 16 teams) and certainly knew Henry Aaron from watching TV and from all the Topps baseball cards I owned starting in 1953. 61 years ago and I remember that day like it was yesterday and have never forgiven Aaron.

I'm thinking that there should be a separate list of the 5 best pitchers.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-16-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Might not necessarily be the 5 best, but my favorites to watch:

Frank Thomas
George Brett
Cal Ripken Jr.
Robin Yount
Dave Winfield
Old 05-16-2019, 01:02 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

1. Aaron Rowand
2. Aaron Rowand
3. Aaron Rowand
4. Aaron Rowand
5. Aaron Rowand

Why is there a debate?

Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Actually close to 60 Years. At the time there was never a shortstop like Banks. If you are asking if there have been better since, of course there have been. Different eras.
Aparicio was a better SS with much better range than Ernie but Ernie was the better hitter and a very good SS even though the Cubs moved him to first base in the middle of his career, he wound up playing more games at first than at SS.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-16-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Ted Williams
Willie Mays
Mickey Mantle
Roberto Clemente
Frank Thomas

Hated to omit my all time favorite player but while Nellie was the best second baseman of his time he was not one of the best players I've ever seen.

So many more great players that I have seen in person and it hurts to omit them but its tough with only 5 to pick. Frank makes the list because he is tied with all the other great players that didn't make the list but he wins the tie breaker because he was a White Sox.

I left out Henry Aaron because one day after a Milwaukee Braves-Cubs game in 1958 at Wrigley, I was able to get every autograph of the World Champion Braves except Aaron, he was on the team bus with the window down and I said Mr. Aaron, can I have your autograph, he looked at me and said "I'm Wes Covington'' and rolled up the window. Well trust me, at 12 years old I knew every player in MLB (only 16 teams) and certainly knew Henry Aaron from watching TV and from all the Topps baseball cards I owned starting in 1953. 61 years ago and I remember that day like it was yesterday and have never forgiven Aaron.

Thanks for sharing this story. I always say if I can't get what I want, I hope to at least get a good story out of it and you definitely got one here!
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Top five from my youth, as I recall it:

George Brett
Mike Schmidt
Ozzie Smith - greatest defensive player of all time
Rickey Henderson
Kirby Puckett

Whitaker/Trammell, along with Harold deserve special mention. The first two were in a class by themselves when at the top of their game. Hated seeing the Tigers back in the eighties. Harold was by far my favorite Sox player.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Thanks for sharing this story. I always say if I can't get what I want, I hope to at least get a good story out of it and you definitely got one here!
I got to shake Stan the Man Musials hand after a game at Wrigley that same year and hated leaving him off my list.

BTW Wes Covington wasn't a bad hitter and spent some time with the Sox in 1961.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-16-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Ted Williams
Willie Mays
Mickey Mantle
Roberto Clemente
Frank Thomas

My freshman English teacher at Munster High told me about going to see the Red Sox at old Comiskey in the '50s and seeing Ted Williams hitting a sharp laser of a line drive into Nellie Foxes glove in short right field -- not just on the outfield grass. I only saw Fox as a coach for Williams with in Texas in 1972. Williams was in the dugout. I got Fox to autograph my program after he was finished working with the catcher on pop fouls. After batting practice with Dick Billings (I think) crouched behind him, Fox, facing center field, popped up fungoes that came down in foul territory just in front of the screen behind the plate, with the catcher running back to catch them. I couldn't get Williams attention to sign my first edition of his book The Science of Hitting, which I had brought to the park in hopes of getting Williams' autograph.

The thing about thinking about the best players you ever saw is that if you've been going to baseball for decades, you've seen a lot of great players you didn't think about at the time. Roberto Clemente was a great player when I saw him play in the 1960s, but he didn't have a great day. I saw Carl Yastrzemski drop a routine fly on a cold Sunday afternoon at Old Comiskey, parlay that with being at the old park on the Sunday afternoon when Ron Santo hit an inside-the-park home run in red pinstripes and you know you've been to a lot of baseball.

Judging the greatest that you saw is tricky, even if you remember all the names. If you have to use statistics, you really don't belong in the conversation. Henry Aaron, for example, might have played a dozen games in the old park when he was finishing his career with the Brewers, but he wasn't the great Henry Aaron at the time just as Ken Griffey Jr. with the White Sox wasn't the one remembered in the Hall of Fame or Willie Mays at the end with the Mets isn't the Willies Mays in the statue outside of the ballpark in San Francisco.

The Frank Thomas I saw in the early 1990s, the Tony Oliva I saw in the late 1960s, may have been the best offensive players I've ever seen, though not in that order and recognizing that I've seen Mike Trout. I might add the 1960s Frank Robinson as well. And if you're just talking 1972 and just talking offense ...
Old 05-16-2019, 04:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
My freshman English teacher at Munster High told me about going to see the Red Sox at old Comiskey in the '50s and seeing Ted Williams hitting a sharp laser of a line drive into Nellie Foxes glove in short right field -- not just on the outfield grass. I only saw Fox as a coach for Williams with in Texas in 1972. Williams was in the dugout. I got Fox to autograph my program after he was finished working with the catcher on pop fouls. After batting practice with Dick Billings (I think) crouched behind him, Fox, facing center field, popped up fungoes that came down in foul territory just in front of the screen behind the plate, with the catcher running back to catch them. I couldn't get Williams attention to sign my first edition of his book The Science of Hitting, which I had brought to the park in hopes of getting Williams' autograph.

The thing about thinking about the best players you ever saw is that if you've been going to baseball for decades, you've seen a lot of great players you didn't think about at the time. Roberto Clemente was a great player when I saw him play in the 1960s, but he didn't have a great day. I saw Carl Yastrzemski drop a routine fly on a cold Sunday afternoon at Old Comiskey, parlay that with being at the old park on the Sunday afternoon when Ron Santo hit an inside-the-park home run in red pinstripes and you know you've been to a lot of baseball.

Judging the greatest that you saw is tricky, even if you remember all the names. If you have to use statistics, you really don't belong in the conversation. Henry Aaron, for example, might have played a dozen games in the old park when he was finishing his career with the Brewers, but he wasn't the great Henry Aaron at the time just as Ken Griffey Jr. with the White Sox wasn't the one remembered in the Hall of Fame or Willie Mays at the end with the Mets isn't the Willies Mays in the statue outside of the ballpark in San Francisco.

The Frank Thomas I saw in the early 1990s, the Tony Oliva I saw in the late 1960s, may have been the best offensive players I've ever seen, though not in that order and recognizing that I've seen Mike Trout. I might add the 1960s Frank Robinson as well. And if you're just talking 1972 and just talking offense ...
Some excellent points. I had to think about Teddy Ballgame as my first pick, I saw him play in 59 and 60 at the end of his career but he could still hit but wasn't the hitter he was when he hit .406 in 1941. Because I consider him the best hitter of all time I still put him at #1. Remember, he missed 5 prime years of his career serving in the military, he gets points for that too.
As far as Clemente goes, I have often thought that Roberto would be my first pick if I was starting an expansion team, he was the consummate 5 tool player with the best arm of any outfielder I've ever seen.
Loved your Nellie Fox memories.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-16-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

My first game ever was in 1981. My highest concentration of games was the late Ď80ís through 2002, so in no particular order Iím going with this group:

Frank Thomas
Griffey Jr
Ripken
Ichiro
Pete Rose

Other HOF that could be included:

Fisk
Dawson
Sandberg
Haaaaarold
Puckett
Winfield
Eddie Murray
Thome
Yount
Molitor
Raines
Ricky Henderson
Reggie Jackson
Old 05-17-2019, 12:53 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
That's why I didn't post my list. When I got to five and hadn't included Nellie, I couldn't bring myself to hit the "submit reply" button. He was my favorite of all time, but among the best five baseball players I had seen? No.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:59 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Some excellent points. I had to think about Teddy Ballgame as my first pick, I saw him play in 59 and 60 at the end of his career but he could still hit but wasn't the hitter he was when he hit .406 in 1941. Because I consider him the best hitter of all time I still put him at #1. Remember, he missed 5 prime years of his career serving in the military, he gets points for that too.
As far as Clemente goes, I have often thought that Roberto would be my first pick if I was starting an expansion team, he was the consummate 5 tool player with the best arm of any outfielder I've ever seen.
Loved your Nellie Fox memories.
I still think that if Ted Williams hadn't missed those prime years he'd be the consensus greatest of all time. He was still an above-average player in his 40's. He was talking about exit velocity, launch angles, and the benefit of taking tons of walks decades before those things went mainstream. He was so ahead of his time.

This list was so hard to come up with:

Frank Thomas
Ken Griffey Jr
Mike Trout
Rickey Henderson
Johan Santana

Johan was a beast in his prime. His career resembles Koufax's. We all remember how he dominated the Sox prior to his injuries. When he was on, he was untouchable.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Not Sure but I did see:

Frank Thomas
Willie Stargell
Mike Schmidt
Rod Carew
Albnert Pujols

Others in consideration
Carlton Fisk
Barry Bonds
Tom Glavine