White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2015, 03:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Who are the players?
Here is the White Sox draft page with all years this century. You can take a look for yourself.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=cws
Old 06-09-2015, 03:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Here is the White Sox draft page with all years this century. You can take a look for yourself.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=cws
Sorry but you are wrong. If you can't tell there has been a severe shift in how we draft under Hahn vs. Kenny as a GM, you just aren't paying attention.

Last years first offensive player taken? A defense first catcher who could develop an average hit tool.

This years first hitter taken? a high school 1b with tremendous power, who was a 2 way player in high school and also was a great pitcher.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Casey Schroeder is an interesting pick. He should have a better hit tool than he has performed. He hit .230 last year but walked a ton and had a great OBP, and big power.

He is a stud behind the plate as well.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Sorry but you are wrong. If you can't tell there has been a severe shift in how we draft under Hahn vs. Kenny as a GM, you just aren't paying attention.

Last years first offensive player taken? A defense first catcher who could develop an average hit tool.

This years first hitter taken? a high school 1b with tremendous power, who was a 2 way player in high school and also was a great pitcher.
Nope. Sorry. I didn't say anything about KW vs. RH. Last 1st round position player choosen... Tim Anderson... basketball player, inexperienced baseball player.

The year before it was 2 high school baseball players picked first and second. By definition high school players are inexperienced but as they were primarily baseball players I don't consider them fitting the pattern.

Before that it was Keenyn Walker, inexperienced athletic talent. Before that it was Jared Mitchell, athletic, talented football player inexperienced at baseball. Before that you get to Beckham and voila! A baseball player that made it to the majors! And so on and so forth back into the really bad old days.

My original comment stands as is. The White Sox have primarily choosen experienced college pitchers with their early picks and done well. They have primarily choosen athletic guys with little baseball experience when going for position players and it hasn't worked well. That's the record.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Nope. Sorry. I didn't say anything about KW vs. RH. Last 1st round position player choosen... Tim Anderson... basketball player, inexperienced baseball player.

The year before it was 2 high school baseball players picked first and second. By definition high school players are inexperienced but as they were primarily baseball players I don't consider them fitting the pattern.

Before that it was Keenyn Walker, inexperienced athletic talent. Before that it was Jared Mitchell, athletic, talented football player inexperienced at baseball. Before that you get to Beckham and voila! A baseball player that made it to the majors! And so on and so forth back into the really bad old days.

My original comment stands as is. The White Sox have primarily choosen experienced college pitchers with their early picks and done well. They have primarily choosen athletic guys with little baseball experience when going for position players and it hasn't worked well. That's the record.
But not over the last couple of seasons. If you REALLY look at the last 3 years worth of drafts, especially earlier rounds of position players... Rick Hahn, if anything, has been focusing on pitching and hit tool/defensive players, especially up the middle of the diamond (C-2b-SS-CF).
Old 06-09-2015, 04:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
But not over the last couple of seasons. If you REALLY look at the last 3 years worth of drafts, especially earlier rounds of position players... Rick Hahn, if anything, has been focusing on pitching and hit tool/defensive players, especially up the middle of the diamond (C-2b-SS-CF).
Ok, but in my original comment I made a clear distinction between the way they draft pitchers and the way they have drafted position players and it was in response to a comment about players drafted in the first couple rounds. So I was specifically talked about the Sox history in the first round or two. I agree that I think drafting has been better the last couple years but I also am aware that we won't really know for a few more years when we see if any of these guys make it to the big leagues or not. Anderson and Sweeney and Josh Fields looked like good draft choices too. So did the recently released Jared Mitchell. We'll see what happens. In the meantime the teams track record is what it is and they would be wise to draft position players with the same evaluation techniques and standards that they do pitchers.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Ok, but in my original comment I made a clear distinction between the way they draft pitchers and the way they have drafted position players and it was in response to a comment about players drafted in the first couple rounds. So I was specifically talked about the Sox history in the first round or two. I agree that I think drafting has been better the last couple years but I also am aware that we won't really know for a few more years when we see if any of these guys make it to the big leagues or not. Anderson and Sweeney and Josh Fields looked like good draft choices too. So did the recently released Jared Mitchell. We'll see what happens. In the meantime the teams track record is what it is and they would be wise to draft position players with the same evaluation techniques and standards that they do pitchers.
I gotcha, were talking apples and oranges, my mistake.

I do agree, it hasn't translated yet but we will see.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:09 PM
WSI Guru

Five of the first seven selection by the Sox have been pitchers. Two position players, a college catcher and a high school 1st baseman so far.

Pitching is the single most important aspect in baseball today in my opinion but as the Sox are showing this season, pitching without hitting equals nothing.

Suggest they dig deep and start loading up on some potential hitters.

Lip
Old 06-09-2015, 05:27 PM
WSI Prelate

I have no idea who is running this draft. They want to load up on pitchers and they don't have many hitters in the minors or on the major league team. Yet they'll spend $4 million on utility infielders. They draft pitchers, and yet they trade ML ready hitters to rent a veteran pitcher.
I guess they'll make some sort of move between now and the end of December to move some veteran pitchers.
Hopefully it's for YOUNG hitters and not the usual dead veterans they get all gooey over.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Courtney Hawkins still has a chance. I wouldn't count out Micah just yet either.
Micah had an OBP of .333 in his cup of coffee.
How could they possibly give up on him when they sign dogmeat veterans that can't hit a lick.
You have to develop players like this.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
draft pitchers, and yet they trade ML ready hitters to rent a veteran pitcher.
So now Semien and Phegley are "ML ready hitters"? I can't imagine there's a GM on the planet that wouldn't have traded those 2 for a proven starter.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-10-2015, 07:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I have no idea who is running this draft. They want to load up on pitchers and they don't have many hitters in the minors or on the major league team. Yet they'll spend $4 million on utility infielders. They draft pitchers, and yet they trade ML ready hitters to rent a veteran pitcher.
I guess they'll make some sort of move between now and the end of December to move some veteran pitchers.
Hopefully it's for YOUNG hitters and not the usual dead veterans they get all gooey over.

So what were the trades for Avi Garcia, Eaton, and Davidson? The Sox aren't losing future division titles because they don't have Semien and Phegley.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
So now Semien and Phegley are "ML ready hitters"? I can't imagine there's a GM on the planet that wouldn't have traded those 2 for a proven starter.

But don't you get it? They are younger than Shark, which is really what matters, right?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Micah had an OBP of .333 in his cup of coffee.
How could they possibly give up on him when they sign dogmeat veterans that can't hit a lick.
You have to develop players like this.
They haven't given up on him. At all. In the slightest.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
They haven't given up on him. At all. In the slightest.
Agreed, I was just commenting that that this notion our farm has no hitters is laughable and inaccurate.