WSI Guru

Default *Official* 5/13/19 Moncada and Lopez Roll, S-O-X-W-I-N Postgamer

Keep it going, boys.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 PM
WSI Guru

Back to two games under .500.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:00 PM
WSI Guru

Big Frank thinks they can win the division.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:02 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

I was really impressed with how Lopez bounced back after the leadoff home run to start the game by Lindor. He only gave up 1 more hit after that over 7.2 innings.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
I was really impressed with how Lopez bounced back after the leadoff home run to start the game by Lindor. He only gave up 1 more hit after that over 7.2 innings.
Cannot ignore just how bad this Cleveland offense is. But have to beat the bad teams. Agreed on Lůpez, excellent moxie responding to a home run by the first batter.

Now we get Banuelos/Covey/Nova. Really tough to find any momentum with a rotation like this. But if the improved bullpen can hold, the rotation is all that is limiting the Sox from playing above .500 baseball and competing for a playoff spot. They just cannot possibly hope to be in real contention when Banuelos/Covey/Nova are starting 60% of their games.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Very nice. Excellent pitching. Keep it up.
Baneulos next - should be Cooper's pet project. He's always had an effective soft tossing lefty. Baneulos to carry the MB-Q tradition!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Thatís an unrealistic goal. Even if Giolito and Kopech are reliable the rest of the season, thatís still only 2.5 starters.

I canít believe Iím saying this, but this team could really use James Shields right now. They should have called Shields when the dust settled on the Manny Machado situation and offered him the same $14 million salary that was on his declined option.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:19 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Thatís an unrealistic goal. Even if Giolito and Kopech are reliable the rest of the season, thatís still only 2.5 starters.
Kopech
Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Kopech
Sorry. I meant Lopez. I had Kopech on the brain from another post.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

I canít believe Iím saying this, but this team could really use James Shields right now. They should have called Shields when the dust settled on the Manny Machado situation and offered him the same $14 million salary that was on his declined option.
Frank did add that the Sox were going to shore up the rotation plus mentioned how much better the bullpen was. You combine that with the good hitting he said don't count out the Sox. I'm enjoying this season, I don't have any lofty expectations. You have to love seeing Moncada, Anderson, Giolito, McCann and Lopez. If Jimenez comes back and lights it up - why can't the Sox grab some pitching and win the division?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 AM
WSI High Priest

With Banuelos and Covey both in the rotation, it's hard for the Sox to string together a lot of consecutive wins. Cease will replace one of the two eventually.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-247
Old 05-13-2019, 10:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I would agree if the team seemed interested in winning the division, if the manager had played more games to win and such. I don't think Cleveland is a very good team, and I don't think Detroit or Kansas City are nearly as good as Cleveland. I would hate to think that the Twins are division-champion caliber, but they might end up going to the postseason anyway.

The White Sox have only two starters pitching consistently well, although Nova sometimes looks like he could make it three. The bullpen is too thin to be reliable with as much work as they are going to get when Giolito and Lopez aren't pitching, assuming Giolito and Lopez have actually turned the corner and become consistently strong solid starters.

Obviously, tonight Lopez looked great. In some ways it was his most impressive start of the season, more impressive than his 14-strikeout start Because he didn't have to work as hard to get hitters out, he was able to take the Sox deeper into the game with the lead. If it were a tie game, I could see him facing Lindor again in the eighth, but with a three-run lead and not coming out for the ninth, I can see where there was no reason to leave him in the game to attempt to finish he eighth.

There was a time not too many seasons ago when the postgame forum would be complaining that home runs accounted for so much of the Sox scoring, solo home runs to boot. But tonight's pitching was strong enough tonight to win most games. Abreu played the role of Frank Thomas with his first-inning home run to tie the game. Moncada, who had only one homer and 20 strikeouts while hitting just .200 in 13 May games unbroke the second tie and added on. Castillo, with a home run and a double to score two, was nearly as important to the offense, although his error ended up tying the game he untied with his home run.

The Sox certainly aren't one of the good teams in the American League, but you might not need to be that good to win the division. I might feel differently when Banuelos is pitching Tuesday and when the Sox are playing the Astros and Twins after hosting the Blue Jays.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:11 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Nice solid win. If Lopez can find some consistency - and I think he will - that's two solid rotation pieces we hopefully have locked down.

Moncada had a real solid game too. Him and Anderson trading nights. Hopefully they can have a couple where they both are hot and that will lead to some blowouts.

2 games under

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-13-2019, 11:47 PM
WSI Guru

I like what our starting pitching has done during this winning streak. I won't they'll fall back to earth soon, but it's nice to see some progress, particularly from Giolito and Lopez.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It all depends on the pitching.