White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 AM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,943
Default

Should have said 'if he could have'. Responding to post saying he needed more time in minors to improve his defense. If he could improve his defense by staying in minors, he can do the same at the major league level. It's not like his glove is going to keep the Sox out of the playoffs.
__________________
Fire Rinky Hahliams!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Should have said 'if he could have'. Responding to post saying he needed more time in minors to improve his defense. If he could improve his defense by staying in minors, he can do the same at the major league level. It's not like his glove is going to keep the Sox out of the playoffs.

The difference would be that there are minor league coaches whose specific job is to work with players on aspects of their defense. Some bad defensive outfielders have learned to play their position. Before the DH, there wasn't much of a choice. It takes more than shagging batting-practice flies to learn to play the outfield. I don't know if there are any coaches currently working with Jimenez on his defense.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-20-2019, 04:38 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 4,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Iím pretty sure this is Jimenezís defense. If 2019 reveals that his play out there canít be tolerated, then just make the logical move to DH and simplify things for the kid. Heís here for one reason: to mash baseballs.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Right and hopefully that becomes more consistent. Give him lots of patience and rewards and he might become serviceable in LF who knows.
As long as he puts in the effort to improve he should then be given patience. His reward? He's a MLB player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
If he could learn to improve his defense in the minors, he can learn in the majors.
A helluva place to learn the fundamentals of the game isn't it?
__________________
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-20-2019, 07:15 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,234
Post

Hell of a blast by Moncada, I've said all along this Spring that the team will go as far as the pitching goes, the hitting is there. we need some guys to step up when on the mound and if they can then we could be flirting with the .500 mark at the end of the season.
__________________
Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-20-2019, 07:36 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,740
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Used Colome in a non-save situation for the 2nd time in a row. Using him needlessly on Tuesday might have cost them a game. They only have 2 days off from now until June.
Short term risk avoidance to the extreme
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-20-2019, 08:20 AM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Used Colome in a non-save situation for the 2nd time in a row. Using him needlessly on Tuesday might have cost them a game. They only have 2 days off from now until June.
Short term risk avoidance to the extreme
He's not a typical short reliever; he relies more on command than anything. He needs to pitch regularly.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-20-2019, 08:32 AM
Flight #24 Flight #24 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,357
Default

So far, we have Moncada and Anderson and Rodon looking very good to great. Lopez and Jimenez and Giolito have shown flashes, and Cordell in short time as well.

That's a pretty successful season if maintained. And if they had a halfway decent pen, would likely be on a 6 game win streak and a 10-9 record. (I know - if wishes were fishes and all, but still....)
__________________
"You don't quit. You don't go home before it's time. You don't come out of a game, even if you are in pain and feel as if you can't go one more step"
"Never give up, Never, never, never give up."
- Luther Head after Elite 8 win v. Arizona
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-20-2019, 08:57 AM
Dan H Dan H is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Highland
Posts: 2,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
So far, we have Moncada and Anderson and Rodon looking very good to great. Lopez and Jimenez and Giolito have shown flashes, and Cordell in short time as well.

That's a pretty successful season if maintained. And if they had a halfway decent pen, would likely be on a 6 game win streak and a 10-9 record. (I know - if wishes were fishes and all, but still....)
I agree with this optimism. The Sox aren't there yet, but they are doing much better than I thought they would. Now it is time for the front office to really show its stuff. They have promote young players at the right time and eventually add some veterans that can make a difference. They started this rebuild, and now they have to take steps to finish it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-20-2019, 09:00 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,232
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
A helluva place to learn the fundamentals of the game isn't it?
But it's far more important he is learning to hit Major league pitching than learning to play defense at this stage of his career. Some might argue put him at DH but that would guarantee he never develops as a fielder.

He needs to be on the major league team to work on his hitting.

He needs to be in the outfield to try and improve his defense.

It is what it is...
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 AM
BigKlu59 BigKlu59 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hotel California
Posts: 2,790
Default

Hey, being 3 1/2 out at this time ainít so bad. This division is up for grabs. Rock steady and 4 games over .500 might win this division.

BK59
__________________
Big Klu says... "When you step in the box you go to war"..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 7,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The difference would be that there are minor league coaches whose specific job is to work with players on aspects of their defense. Some bad defensive outfielders have learned to play their position. Before the DH, there wasn't much of a choice. It takes more than shagging batting-practice flies to learn to play the outfield. I don't know if there are any coaches currently working with Jimenez on his defense.
The coaching he's receiving with the White Sox (for all facets of his game) along with what he is learning just playing in the bigs is infinitely more valuable than what he would receive in Charlotte. They have a manager, a hitting coach and some guy named Guilermo Quiroz.

I think he can be an adequate LF especially with a quality CF and RF- so he's not being asked to do too much.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
"When youíre going good, youíre not that ****ing good,but when youíre going bad, youíre not that bad. Thatís ****ing Satchel Paige there and thatís wisdom.Ē - Don Cooper, April-2019
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-20-2019, 09:56 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 7,295
Default

I'm 100% ready for the Adam Engel experiment to come to an end- if it weren't for the occasional "Ken Berry" home run robbing catch , he brings almost no value- yet another complete change to his stance/swing is not helping his hitting, his arm is very average, and the final straw for me is he can't get a bunt down. I'm not sure Tilson is the answer- even with his hot start- his arm is in the Podsednik territory, and he's not stealing much (2 SBs)- but I'm ready for Adam to move just like Palka.

With Cordell here- his only value is late inning replacement for Eloy.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-20-2019, 10:06 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,232
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'm 100% ready for the Adam Engel experiment to come to an end- if it weren't for the occasional "Ken Berry" home run robbing catch , he brings almost no value- yet another complete change to his stance/swing is not helping his hitting, his arm is very average, and the final straw for me is he can't get a bunt down. I'm not sure Tilson is the answer- even with his hot start- his arm is in the Podsednik territory, and he's not stealing much (2 SBs)- but I'm ready for Adam to move just like Palka.

With Cordell here- his only value is late inning replacement for Eloy.
Engel did have a couple nice grabs last night I'm not sure Leury would have gotten to because they required such precise routes and awareness, but I agree all he brings is a glove. Might as well give Tilson a shot. He's supposedly a legit CF and if he can just bring a bit more offense (how can he bring less?) then why not give him a try. The Cordell promotion looks like a great move, might as well keep going.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-20-2019, 10:38 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
But it's far more important he is learning to hit Major league pitching than learning to play defense at this stage of his career. Some might argue put him at DH but that would guarantee he never develops as a fielder.

He needs to be on the major league team to work on his hitting.

He needs to be in the outfield to try and improve his defense.

It is what it is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
The coaching he's receiving with the White Sox (for all facets of his game) along with what he is learning just playing in the bigs is infinitely more valuable than what he would receive in Charlotte. They have a manager, a hitting coach and some guy named Guilermo Quiroz.

I think he can be an adequate LF especially with a quality CF and RF- so he's not being asked to do too much.
Agreed. Maybe if Eloy was totally floundering at the plate and hitting in the .100s, then it would make sense to send him down. For now, I think the best plan is for him to learn how to hit MLB pitching and work on his defense here in Chicago.

His defense has looked brutal so far, but I don't want to relegate him to DH just yet at this young age and on a team that isn't "going for it" this year. He'd be much more valuable as someone who is able to play in the field at least part of the time (even if he ends up primarily DHing) than if he got locked into being a full-time DH.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-20-2019, 11:16 AM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Used Colome in a non-save situation for the 2nd time in a row. Using him needlessly on Tuesday might have cost them a game. They only have 2 days off from now until June.
Short term risk avoidance to the extreme
Some of these guys need work to stay sharp. If there aren't any saves to be gotten for a few games in a row, what does a manager do? I guess that's why he gets paid the big money and we sit at a computer and post. Either way, the "don't use a closer in a non-save situation" stuff pushed by Steve Stone and others has more to do with psychology that overusing a pitcher's arm.
__________________
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and the rotten ones don't roll much.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.