Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Here are the Sox minor league leaders for innings pitched, through tonight. Names in bold are currently in AA or AAA.

Stiever, 44
Varnell, 43.2
Flores, 43.1
Kubat, 43
Battenfield, 40
Lambert, 38.2
Parke, 38.2
Martin, 37.1
McClure, 37.1
Pilkington, 36.2
Guerrero, 35.2
Paulino, 35
Lewis, 32.1
Stephens, 31.1

I would have no problem bringing up five of the seven guys in bold for a week, to take mopup innings. (Not Battenfield or Paulino, yet, but I would still rather see them than Fulmer.) Tell them ahead of time they're going back down in a week, to take away the pressure that someone like Cease would feel.

Problem is, only Stephens is on the 40-man. So I guess you start with Stephens, who's almost 27, even though he's been awful at Charlotte. (Everyone is awful at Charlotte this year. The juiced ball has made Charlotte play like a Little League park.)

Then you can make a roster move or two: remove Stephens/Minaya/Osich and add Lambert/Flores, who have pitched well enough to deserve it. Then recycle a spot to get a look at Guerrero and Kubat.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:10 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Something has to give with Palka, IMO. He's 1/1 today with 3 BB. They finally just pitched to him and he crushed it the other way for a solo shot to tie the game. They either need to bring him up and send Delmonico down or figure out how to package him for some pitching help. It's too soon to cut Yonder and he finally did something good today so something else has to give. Of course Eloy is due back this week too, so not sure what that means.

FYI, Palka now has 24 BB and 26 K in 111 PA if I'm reading his stat line correctly. I don't think it's updated for today's stats yet. Everyone said, if he can just walk more he's a valuable player, well... he is... LOTS more...

Edit: he just homered again in his next at bat.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 05-18-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Something has to give with Palka, IMO. He's 1/1 today with 3 BB. They finally just pitched to him and he crushed it the other way for a solo shot to tie the game. They either need to bring him up and send Delmonico down or figure out how to package him for some pitching help.
Palka won't yield anything in trade. Bring him up- Sox need some power anyway. Leury would bring more - he's the one to move. And I like Leury and always have. But, the time has come... unless they really plan on keeping him going forward as a super utilitarian.
For the most part, Leury/Yolmer/Delmonico/Cordell/Tilson have done a perfectly acceptable job, and haven't put the Sox in a hole. A winning Sox team will need a couple of guys like those around. That's been a plus this season.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Palka won't yield anything in trade. Bring him up- Sox need some power anyway. Leury would bring more - he's the one to move. And I like Leury and always have. But, the time has come... unless they really plan on keeping him going forward as a super utilitarian.
For the most part, Leury/Yolmer/Delmonico/Cordell/Tilson have done a perfectly acceptable job, and haven't put the Sox in a hole. A winning Sox team will need a couple of guys like those around. That's been a plus this season.
Too early to trade Leury. He's not a standalone piece. He could be part of a package maybe but alone he brings back nothing.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Something has to give with Palka, IMO. He's 1/1 today with 3 BB. They finally just pitched to him and he crushed it the other way for a solo shot to tie the game. They either need to bring him up and send Delmonico down or figure out how to package him for some pitching help. It's too soon to cut Yonder and he finally did something good today so something else has to give. Of course Eloy is due back this week too, so not sure what that means.

FYI, Palka now has 24 BB and 26 K in 111 PA if I'm reading his stat line correctly. I don't think it's updated for today's stats yet. Everyone said, if he can just walk more he's a valuable player, well... he is... LOTS more...

Itís one month. Letís see what happens when he goes into a slump down there.

Heís not a .200 OPS hitter, but heís not a 1.000 OPS hitter, either.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:22 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:

I think itís clear he can hit AAA pitching. Honestly, I wouldnít be adamantly opposed to cutting Alonso and giving Palka some work at first. But I donít know, I kind of doubt Palka is really a piece for the Sox (or any MLB team) long term.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-18-2019, 10:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Too early to trade Leury. He's not a standalone piece. He could be part of a package maybe but alone he brings back nothing.
I can't really think of any other typical July trade fodder the Sox have to trade, except for Colome and if they do that, they'll just look for another Colome in December. And they won't recoup what they paid for him if they do trade him. And Abreu, but I doubt they'll move him (nor extend him).
The type of trades the Sox need to make are more often made in December, unless they get really creative.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Itís one month. Letís see what happens when he goes into a slump down there.

Heís not a .200 OPS hitter, but heís not a 1.000 OPS hitter, either.
He started out in a slump after being demoted. He didn't hit crap for the first week or so. Since then he's been putting up insane stats.

I still think his issues this year were that he was trying to learn patience and when the season went live he got caught in between thinking too much about when to swing and analyzing everything. He knows his power isn't enough especially since he's a poor defender. He has to add the OBP to have a future. I'm sure the team worked with him on it also. Now he seems to be clicking again and the walks are going up too.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think itís clear he can hit AAA pitching. Honestly, I wouldnít be adamantly opposed to cutting Alonso and giving Palka some work at first. But I donít know, I kind of doubt Palka is really a piece for the Sox (or any MLB team) long term.
If the OBP isn't a pure mirage then he's definitely got a place in the majors because it was the one part of his offensive game last year that was missing.

His current line is .307/.450/.658/1.098 with 9 HR and 23 BB in 88 AB (101 PA).

Not sure what more he can do at AAA to prove he deserves another shot.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
If the OBP isn't a pure mirage then he's definitely got a place in the majors because it was the one part of his offensive game last year that was missing.

His current line is .307/.450/.658/1.098 with 9 HR and 23 BB in 88 AB (101 PA).

Not sure what more he can do at AAA to prove he deserves another shot.
I agree, the problem with Palka is he can't play the outfield very well. I'm amazed that in his fairly long time spent in the minors no one could see that he wasn't a very good outfielder and have him learn how to play first base.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:13 PM

Eloy got a day off today in Charlotte. I'm guessing he's flying back to Chicago to go with the team to Houston or just meeting them there.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Delmonico has been optioned.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Eloy got a day off today in Charlotte. I'm guessing he's flying back to Chicago to go with the team to Houston or just meeting them there.
I was wondering when he was going to come back up. Generally a position player on rehab gets the call shortly after he transitions from DH. Jimenez had played four games in left after his first game at DH.

It's possible they wanted to wait for the Sox to go back on the road where he didn't have the pressure of playing at home. But last year, the Twins put Buxton on rehad in May and didn't bring him up until this season, despite reports that he was healthy. Although Buxton is playing much better this year, I was hoping the White Sox were above such a weaselly move.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I was wondering when he was going to come back up. Generally a position player on rehab gets the call shortly after he transitions from DH. Jimenez had played four games in left after his first game at DH.

It's possible they wanted to wait for the Sox to go back on the road where he didn't have the pressure of playing at home. But last year, the Twins put Buxton on rehad in May and didn't bring him up until this season, despite reports that he was healthy. Although Buxton is playing much better this year, I was hoping the White Sox were above such a weaselly move.
Buxton was kept down to depress his service time.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Buxton was kept down to depress his service time.

Whether you would consider that a weaselly move would be a matter of perspective.
Closed Thread