Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2019, 10:41 PM
WSI Prelate

The Renteria issue can be addressed in 2 seconds and probably will be soon enough. But he's a symptom, not the cause, nor is his removal the solution.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The Renteria issue can be addressed in 2 seconds and probably will be soon enough. But he's a symptom, not the cause, nor is his removal the solution.
Im getting a sinking feeling that they view Renteria as an asset and not a liability.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Im getting a sinking feeling that they view Renteria as an asset and not a liability.
Without highjacking this, I have profound concerns about the front office and ownership that could hamper the Sox ability to compete.

However I think that there is still a chance the Sox could develop a roster that is so talented almost anyone could manage the team and succeed. The Royals were able to win two pennants with Ned Yost as their manager, so I think Renteria could lead the Sox to the playoffs with a talented enough roster.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-25-2019, 09:38 AM
WSI Prelate

If the Sox next year are the Padres this year, I consider that growth.

So 2021 is my answer.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-25-2019, 09:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I would hardly say Lopez has looked like a front of the rotation SP...... I mean Cubs fans claiming Yu Darvish is their Game 1 playoff starter off 2 starts sound way off base, and that is basically doing the same, throwing out a year of garbage over 1 good start and 1 very good start.

Lopez has to do this for an entire half of baseball to have a locked in spot next year to me.
Amen. Small sample sizes are the opiate of sports fans.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:42 AM
WSI Prelate

I think they go .500ish in 2020, getting exciting production from numerous young players who still nevertheless are inconsistent but growing.

I think 2021 is when most of the lineup and rotation slots are producing with young players, and gets more consistent as it gets more experience. It strikes me as the type of team that may have an extended stretch of inconsistent play at the beginning of the season, before finishing strong around 90 wins.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:50 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Amen. Small sample sizes are the opiate of sports fans.
It's not the sample size it's the changes to his pitches that has me saying he is looking more like a top 3 pitcher. He's throwing his breaking pitches for strikes. he couldn't do that at all early in the season with any consistency. If he can continue to throw those pitches for strikes his fastball gains a notch and becomes much harder for the hitters to sit on.

Can he do it consistently is the question. IF he can (and that was always part of the statement that DS replied to) THEN he's a guy who can be counted on to be top of the rotation material and that makes next year look a WHOLE lot better.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-25-2019, 02:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If the Sox next year are the Padres this year, I consider that growth.

So 2021 is my answer.

I mean...the Padres went out and signed a young star to a $300 million contract to play alongside their young core. So...yes. I'd be ecstatic if we signed Anthony Rendon to a $300 million deal in the offseason to plug around existing pieces and help us compete for a wild card (which the Padres are already doing). I...just don't see that happening. So 2021 or 2022, depending on health.

On a side note about the Padres...has anyone else been keeping tabs on MacKenzie Gore? That kid might be the best pitcher in baseball when he arrives...which could even be in time for the playoffs this year.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I mean...the Padres went out and signed a young star to a $300 million contract to play alongside their young core. So...yes. I'd be ecstatic if we signed Anthony Rendon to a $300 million deal in the offseason to plug around existing pieces and help us compete for a wild card (which the Padres are already doing). I...just don't see that happening. So 2021 or 2022, depending on health.

On a side note about the Padres...has anyone else been keeping tabs on MacKenzie Gore? That kid might be the best pitcher in baseball when he arrives...which could even be in time for the playoffs this year.
Which is irrelevant to SDs playoff chances since they will only be watching them and not playing in them.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 07-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

Padres are 6 games under .500 and 6.5 games out of the second wild card with 4 teams between them and that spot. Their run differential is -47 and they are 3-7 over their last 10.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Padres are 6 games under .500 and 6.5 games out of the second wild card with 4 teams between them and that spot. Their run differential is -47 and they are 3-7 over their last 10.

Ah...didn't realize they fell off the last week. That's unfortunate. They'll probably keep Gore down then, I'd assume.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's not the sample size it's the changes to his pitches that has me saying he is looking more like a top 3 pitcher. He's throwing his breaking pitches for strikes. he couldn't do that at all early in the season with any consistency. If he can continue to throw those pitches for strikes his fastball gains a notch and becomes much harder for the hitters to sit on.

Can he do it consistently is the question. IF he can (and that was always part of the statement that DS replied to) THEN he's a guy who can be counted on to be top of the rotation material and that makes next year look a WHOLE lot better.
I can get behind some of this. Hes also been zipping his fastball near 97 since the break, which is a several MPH improvement.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
As much as I dislike JR I gave him a pass on Machado and Harper, both were overpaid.
Yes it's time to open up the checkbook, as I stated earlier, JR is going to be 84, I'm sure he wants to see a contending team as much as we do.
Didn't both of them miss the ASG this year? That was interesting.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
I can get behind some of this. Hes also been zipping his fastball near 97 since the break, which is a several MPH improvement.
I think the big thing is can he do it consistently, he's shown he's capable of putting together good starts but can he do it so often that the Sox can rely on him to put up those good starts consistently. That remains to be seen. And to be honest, I'd say the Sox still need to see whether or not Giolito can be consistent over the course of a full season.