GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2019, 12:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
The current team doesn't have the depth to overcome the loss of two of their best bats - Anderson and Eloy. Any team is going to struggle when that happens, but good teams have depth in their lineup. The Sox don't. Even with Eloy and Tim back there are probably 6 players starting today won't be here 2 years from now latest and most of them will be gone next year. The single exception might be Leury who might open next year in RF. Sanchez will be at most a bench player if Goins doesn't take his slot instead.

Add in the fact Abreu is in a MAJOR funk and it's really tough for the team to generate runs at present. Heck, even Anderson and Eloy are still working their way back to form. The team has scored 55 runs in the last 19 games since the break and 18 of them came in two of the wins during that stretch. That's 37 over the other 17 games - or 2.2/game. Gonna lose a lot of games when things are going that badly.

Yes, I'm optimistic, about the future and yes I might be wrong. Eloy might never really grow into the bat we hope he is. Robert and Madrigal might not be difference makers, Sheets and Vaughn might not add a bunch of pop and run creation. It's all possible. it just seems unlikely.

There are going to be growing pains and there's a lot of questions about the pitching to be answered, but there is just a metric **** ton of talent coming to help with the offensive problems and I feel confident we'll be seeing a lot more wins as a result.
I'm pretty optimistic that the everyday lineup will meet expectations, we will have a good nucleus with Moncada, TA, Eloy, Robert, Abreu and Madrigal with Vaughn eventually replacing Abreu. we will probably have to add a few pieces through Free Agency. It's the pitching that I'm worried about. The only starter I feel good about is Giolito, Lopez might be close and not sure about Cease yet. I'm not counting on Rodon ever helping us out, he's not someone because of injuries that we can't count on. That leaves us with Kopech, big question mark but I feel eventually he might be the ace of the staff.
I'm also thinking that because of JRs age he's going to open up the checkbook this winter and bring on players that well help us become a WC contender next year.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I know I'm an eternal optimist, so people tend to tune me out when I go all Pollyanna, but I have never been as optimistic about this team's next 5 years as I am currently. We are going places and gonna get there soon...
I think I was more optimistic in late 1990, but:

I was 14;

We were about to move into a new ballpark and wear new black and white uniforms;

We had just promoted Frank Thomas and he was raking and the rest of the assembled talent was promising as well. Ventura. McDowell. Fernandez. Alvarez. Sosa. Johnson. Ozzie. Fisk and Karkovice. Lights-out bullpen. About to acquire Tim Raines.

I’m optimistic overall about the level of talent in the system. I also think they have a pretty solid team of leaders with expertise in different areas: KW and Hostetler with scouting, Hahn with finance, Getz with development, Paddy with Latin America, and they’ve hired some interesting young analytically-oriented people like Matt Lisle.

But I’m also skeptical that JR’s consistent adherence to his financial model and philosophical priority of loyalty over results is keeping the team from progressing as much as other organizations are. Other organizations are “leaders” in certain areas.

Is there a single area in which the Sox are better than any other team - besides loyalty?

We’re in the biggest market in a division filled with small market teams (other than when Papa Illitch was spending Little Caesar’s money to prop up the Tigers), but JR has never chosen to put the Sox in a position to own the division for an extended run. Instead, other than 83, 93, 94, 2000, 05, and 08, we’ve consistently played second fiddle as other smaller markets have assembled mini-dynasties: KC, Oakland, Minnesota, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.

I’m not critical of management. But I am critical of ownership, and will remain so until JR shows me something different.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL
also thinking that because of JRs age he's going to open up the checkbook this winter and bring on players that well help us become a WC contender next year.
I hope you are right.

But it would be a triumph of hope over experience.

I’ve never known an 80+ year old man to change his habits.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I hope you are right.

But it would be a triumph of hope over experience.

I’ve never known an 80+ year old man to change his habits.
Then he should just sell the club which would make me ecstatic.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-01-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Then he just sell the club which would make ecstatic.
Be careful what you wish for.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-01-2019, 12:58 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I knew that bad break in the eighth would hurt us in the ninth, and it did. What more could go wrong?

Didn't the umpire used to be part of the field, and a ball off the umpire was in play? I seem to remember that from my youth. If so, when did that rule change? If not, I guess it's just old age catching up to me.

Abreu finally squares a ball up and it's lined right to a fielder. Something that could have broken him out of his slump, and then, nothing.

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L

Next Game Sep 28
Old 08-01-2019, 02:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If you truly bail on the team for the next 2-3 years after sitting through the last 3 in particular, you're missing the fun. This is when the magic is going to start to show... or not... but there is a LOT of talent about to climb on to the major league squad and all those injured arms start returning next year.

You put in the work, if you leave now you don't the rewards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Totally agree. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do but it's insane to me that any game in '19 would be the last straw. This was always supposed to be an ugly year.

Sox will be an improved team in '20 if they don't add a single player via FA which I think they will.

Bailing on the team now seems insane.
This is pretty much how I feel about it. I don't blame fans for mentally checking out on the remainder of this season after a terrible start to the 2nd half, but I still see a lot of great progress being made this year. The following top talent have taken big steps forward this year: Giolito, Moncada, Anderson, Eloy (despite his struggles, his bat looks legit), Bummer, Robert, Madrigal. Also, while not experiencing a breakout season, Cease has continued a steady climb to the majors. Plus we added Andrew Vaughn's bat to the organization. To each their own, but that's A LOT of top talent making big advances this year. A few others have made progress, too: Stiever, Walker, and Sheets come to mind.

The biggest disappointments have been the injuries, of course. Adolfo, Rodon, Dunning, Lambert, Burger. Basabe has missed a big chunk of time this year as has Flores. I still have high hopes of Kopech coming back strong from TJS - even if he still needs time to get up to speed at the start of next year. The only top prospect who I can think of that has tumbled to basically non-prospect status without a significant injury is Hansen.

As with others, my biggest concern with this team moving forward is whether they're willing and able to go out and get key veteran pieces to put them over the top. That'll be a big question for this off-season. But that isn't leading me to bail on this team at this point in time.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Didn't the umpire used to be part of the field, and a ball off the umpire was in play? I seem to remember that from my youth. If so, when did that rule change? If not, I guess it's just old age catching up to me.

Abreu finally squares a ball up and it's lined right to a fielder. Something that could have broken him out of his slump, and then, nothing.
That’s exactly what’s I thought. I thought the umpire was in play and not a dead ball.