Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2019, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

I agree Leury is very valuable player- can adequately play up to 6 positions, switch hitter with speed- he sucked through his age 25 season- but since then pretty consistently in the ~.720 OPS range- with improved defense in the outfield this season.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
He used to be garbage according to WSI pundits
70% of his plate appearances still are garbage. Letís not go crazy over one grand slam.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Maybe we should go crazy and suggest the offense is back (as opposed to "shows up" or some such) after scoring 10 runs on Sunday. Garcia is about as consistently good as it gets offensively for the White Sox this year, especially of late with McCann's batting average dropping by about 40 points in the last month and Anderson missing so much time to injury.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
70% of his plate appearances still are garbage. Letís not go crazy over one grand slam.
Since 70%+ of the time all baseball players make outs, heís hardly alone.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Since 70%+ of the time all baseball players make outs, heís hardly alone.
Iím talking about his numbers when he bats left-handed. They are absolute trash, nowhere near worthy of everyday playing time. Yet this manager thinks they are not only worthy of everyday playing time, but worthy of the leadoff spot.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
He used to be garbage according to WSI pundits
I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I agree Leury is very valuable player- can adequately play up to 6 positions, switch hitter with speed- he sucked through his age 25 season- but since then pretty consistently in the ~.720 OPS range- with improved defense in the outfield this season.
Yes, I see him as potentially a valuable utility player when this team is good again in the near future given his flexibilty. I don't get the hate for him. He isn't supposed to be a permanent answer for one of our OF spots and I don't see anyone suggesting that he should be. But since the current 40-man isn't exactly teeming with good OF options, he's an adequate stop-gap on a bad team.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Iím talking about his numbers when he bats left-handed. They are absolute trash, nowhere near worthy of everyday playing time. Yet this manager thinks they are not only worthy of everyday playing time, but worthy of the leadoff spot.
Yeah, it's downright criminal that Ricky is benching all those all-stars we have on the roster in order to play Leury everyday.

I suppose the team could call up Robert so that we don't have to see Leury play so much, but then that gets into the whole service time debate.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yeah, it's downright criminal that Ricky is benching all those all-stars we have on the roster in order to play Leury everyday.

I suppose the team could call up Robert so that we don't have to see Leury play so much, but then that gets into the whole service time debate.
Ricky doesnít have to lead him off when heís hitting left-handed. He doesnít have to hit Jay in the cleanup spot, either. These are things that make me want him long gone when this team is ready to win.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Ricky doesnít have to lead him off when heís hitting left-handed. He doesnít have to hit Jay in the cleanup spot, either. These are things that make me want him long gone when this team is ready to win.
Spot-on.

Whatís so terrible with having Jay lead off against RHP, and Leury lead off against LHP? Evidently Renteria thinks itís terrible because he never does it.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:55 AM
WSI Prelate

It doesn't really matter now...but then again, do habits change when it does? Applies to a lot of decisions from various levels of management in these parts.
I hope they extend him because they will do worse for the 23rd man platoon/utility if they don't.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
It doesn't really matter now...but then again, do habits change when it does? Applies to a lot of decisions from various levels of management in these parts.
I hope they extend him because they will do worse for the 23rd man platoon/utility if they don't.
Iím totally fine with Leury on our roster in that role.

I also think Goins can be a more effective and less expensive successor to Yolmer as the backup IF - with Madrigal starting at 2B - in 2020.

I still want the Sox to trade for Shin Soo Choo as a stopgap RF for 2020, while we wait for one among Basabe, Rutherford, Adolfo, Gonzalez, or Walker to claim the job in 2021.

Then, sign Grandal as the starting catcher, and then McCann and Collins can share DH and backup catcher duties for 2020.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I’m totally fine with Leury on our roster in that role.

I also think Goins can be a more effective and less expensive successor to Yolmer as the backup IF - with Madrigal starting at 2B - in 2020.

I still want the Sox to trade for Shin Soo Choo as a stopgap RF for 2020, while we wait for one among Basabe, Rutherford, Adolfo, Gonzalez, or Walker to claim the job in 2021.

Then, sign Grandal as the starting catcher, and then McCann and Collins can share DH and backup catcher duties for 2020.
If you have 3 catchers, at least 1 needs to be able to play a good 1B too.
Shoo is a terrible defender...Sox can't have that in RF with Eloy in LF. Wouldn't use resources on a RF anyway. Yolmer is a really good defender...it would be nice, though, to have 2 who could play IF and OF. Yolmer's offensive progress has been disappointing. I can't believe he's making $4.6 million. Maybe Goins has turned a corner at 31, but I doubt it; and he's been just an awful hitter throughout his career.

Last edited by Tragg; 08-06-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
If you have 3 catchers, at least 1 needs to be able to play a good 1B too.
Shoo is a terrible defender...Sox can't have that in RF with Eloy in LF. Wouldn't use resources on a RF anyway. Yolmer is a really good defender...it would be nice, though, to have 2 who could play IF and OF. Yolmer's offensive progress has been disappointing. I can't believe he's making $4.6 million. Maybe Goins has turned a corner at 31, but I doubt it; and he's been just an awful hitter throughout his career.
I donít think Choo is a terrible defender. He may not have spectacular range, but with Robert in CF you only need your RF to make the routine plays.

I donít expect Goins to be a starter quality hitter. He just needs to be able to play all three infield positions and not be completely hopeless at the plate. He can do all those things at a lower cost than Yolmer.

To me, the priority is to sign Grandal. He locks up the catcher position and gives you a switch hitter to stick in the middle of the order.

As for the DH, itís just used to rest Grandal and get both McCann and Collins some work. Collins already is close friends with Grandal and heís also worked well with McCann. The goal is to get Collins shaped into a solid backup for Grandal long term, because in 2021 I want Vaughn and Sheets sharing 1B and DH duties.