Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 View Post
That would be a good thing if it happened. He's been a basket case of injuries pretty much his entire time here.

And he has become a less than average pitcher on those rare occasions when he's healthy.

Time to cut the ties.
And to think he started out something like 8-0 in his career and I thought this guy could turn into something very special. He didn't.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:29 PM
WSI Guru

Nate Jones was a solid pitcher before injuries got him. Nothing to be ashamed of. Crap happens.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Leury brings more trade value as a CF with a .750+ OPS than as a corner guy with the same thing. He has no long term place on the team with Robert expected possibly as soon as next year so the Sox might be trying to let Leury get his value up so he can get traded later this season.
Except he’s not going to have a .750+ OPS by the time the trade deadline comes around.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:25 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Except he’s not going to have a .750+ OPS by the time the trade deadline comes around.
Guess we'll see.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-07-2019, 09:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Nate Jones was a solid pitcher before injuries got him. Nothing to be ashamed of. Crap happens.
Yep, it's not like we signed him to a $50 million extension or anything. 5th round pick and he gave us a few good years out of the pen before injuries derailed his career.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That’s just stupid management. He is the best defensive OF on the team right now. He should be playing CF.

The CF priority should be Tilson, then Cordell, and then Leury. Leury really should be playing a corner OF spot when he is out there.
I know the "eye test" is nothing scientific, but I feel that Leury looks a lot more comfortable playing CF than he does in the corners. I feel most of his defensive gaffes come when he is in the corner outfield spots. He just looks more comfortable there and perhaps Renteria feels the same as I do.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 05-07-2019, 02:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I know the "eye test" is nothing scientific, but I feel that Leury looks a lot more comfortable playing CF than he does in the corners. I feel most of his defensive gaffes come when he is in the corner outfield spots. He just looks more comfortable there and perhaps Renteria feels the same as I do.
Then get rid of him already, because his defense in CF is inadequate, especially when this team is already playing an awful defender in LF every day. Then again, there were times when this team actually ran Eloy, Leury, and Palka left-to-right and somehow thought that was acceptable, so I expect nothing more than traditional White Sox inaction. Organizational inertia and inexplicable love for inadequate baseball players seem to be habits that this organization just can't seem to shake.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Then get rid of him already, because his defense in CF is inadequate, especially when this team is already playing an awful defender in LF every day. Then again, there were times when this team actually ran Eloy, Leury, and Palka left-to-right and somehow thought that was acceptable, so I expect nothing more than traditional White Sox inaction. Organizational inertia and inexplicable love for inadequate baseball players seem to be habits that this organization just can't seem to shake.
Mohoney: Your antipathy towards Leury is unrelenting. Did he do something evil to you or a family member? Clearly, Ricky reads this board. Leury is not in tonight's starting line-up.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-247
Old 05-07-2019, 07:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Mohoney: Your antipathy towards Leury is unrelenting. Did he do something evil to you or a family member? Clearly, Ricky reads this board. Leury is not in tonight's starting line-up.
I just want the team to leave the days of bad outfield defense in the rear-view mirror, especially when the bat they are trying to sneak into the lineup is a ground ball machine with a .087 ISO and an unsustainable .402 BABIP.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
My complaint about Tilson is that I feel his skill set might be a bit outdated for today's baseball. Tilson profiles as a Juan Pierre/Scott Podsednik contact and speed hitting type of player. In the era of juiced baseballs, spray chart defensive shifts, and smaller ballparks...having a guy like Tilson isn't as valuable as it once was. As you said though, it can't hurt. It will likely be a short stay anyway for Tilson because he will be heading back to AAA when Eloy comes off the IL.
Delmonico should be the one to go when Eloy returns.

If we can clear a spot for Eloy to DH, we can run an outfield of Tilson, Engel, and Cordell left-to-right and do a complete 180 from the obscene Eloy-Leury-Palka troika we were using when the season began. Giolito’s masterpiece against the Indians was aided by some mighty fine outfield defense by Cordell and Tilson, and I think we have reached a point in this rebuild where being unable to competently field your position should be a deal-breaker.

At the trade deadline, sell high on Leury if he hasn’t crash-landed by then, find someone desperate for catching help to take Castillo, and do whatever the hell you can do to make Alonso go away. Run an everyday defensive alignment of Tilson, Engel, and Cordell in the OF; Moncada, Anderson, Sánchez/Rondón platoon, and Abreu in the IF; McCann behind the plate; and Eloy at DH.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

If we can clear a spot for Eloy to DH, we can run an outfield of Tilson, Engel, and Cordell left-to-right and do a complete 180 from the obscene Eloy-Leury-Palka troika we were using when the season began. Giolito’s masterpiece against the Indians was aided by some mighty fine outfield defense by Cordell and Tilson, and I think we have reached a point in this rebuild where being unable to competently field your position should be a deal-breaker.

At the trade deadline, sell high on Leury if he hasn’t crash-landed by then, find someone desperate for catching help to take Castillo, and do whatever the hell you can do to make Alonso go away. Run an everyday defensive alignment of Tilson, Engel, and Cordell in the OF; Moncada, Anderson, Sánchez/Rondón platoon, and Abreu in the IF; McCann behind the plate; and Eloy at DH.
I was on board until I read Engel in the every day lineup. Dude is a pathetic black hole of suck at the plate. Just total garbage from top to bottom as a hitter.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:42 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

How does a team sell high on a guy they have riding pine behind Adam Engle?
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I was on board until I read Engel in the every day lineup. Dude is a pathetic black hole of suck at the plate. Just total garbage from top to bottom as a hitter.

Give me a guy that can play defense in front of young pitchers. You'll get offense (the WS are banking on it) when Eloy comes back.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-08-2019, 05:28 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I like this plan. I would run the lineup this way, to maximize plate appearances for the three young core players, and to use Abreu as protection for Eloy:

Anderson
Moncada
Eloy
Abreu
McCann
Yolmer/Rodon
Cordell
Tilson
Engel

The bottom half of that lineup does not inspire much confidence, but I’m OK with prioritizing defense in a rebuilding year. I would hope that Eloy would continue practicing OF drills throughout the remainder of the season, in the hopes that he’d be improved in 2020. Also, since we’re talking about the trade deadline, I’d promote Collins and have him platoon with McCann.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I’m not worried about how these guys hit. Robert solves that problem when he gets here.
Closed Thread