Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Then get rid of him already, because his defense in CF is inadequate, especially when this team is already playing an awful defender in LF every day. Then again, there were times when this team actually ran Eloy, Leury, and Palka left-to-right and somehow thought that was acceptable, so I expect nothing more than traditional White Sox inaction. Organizational inertia and inexplicable love for inadequate baseball players seem to be habits that this organization just can't seem to shake.
He's a placeholder/transition CF until Robert is ready- hitting .299, .731 OPS, 5/5 in SBs, and playing adequate defense- Leury has steadily improved each season, and at age 28 is having a nice season-and he's giving them a decent lead off hitter for the first time in years- Leury Garcia is a "plus" not a "minus" for where this team is in the rebuild process.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I was on board until I read Engel in the every day lineup. Dude is a pathetic black hole of suck at the plate. Just total garbage from top to bottom as a hitter.
Adam Engel with his career OBP of .262.

He's like having a pitcher hit in the line up- at age 27, he's hasn't proven he's even the 25th man/5th outfielder on a major league team.

He's a solid glove- but his arm is barely average.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
How does a team sell high on a guy they have riding pine behind Adam Engle?
Right. No one is buying Leury. There are a lot of Leury types in baseball.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-08-2019, 08:11 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
I was on board until I read Engel in the every day lineup. Dude is a pathetic black hole of suck at the plate. Just total garbage from top to bottom as a hitter.
Yeah, Engel shouldn't be on any major league roster until he can manage a .680 OPS minimum and that is pushing it.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-08-2019, 08:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Right. No one is buying Leury. There are a lot of Leury types in baseball.
When I said “sell high,” I did not mean to imply that I think Leury will fetch a substantial return. I would consider getting any return at all to be a win. When the inevitable precipitous decline comes, he will morph from a below-average defender with a league-average bat into a below-average defender with a below-average bat. Any interest that might have existed would disappear.

Last edited by Mohoney; 05-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
When I said ďsell high,Ē I did not mean to imply that I think Leury will fetch a substantial return. I would consider getting any return at all to be a win.
Yes, but I am not sure there is any interest at all. Like maybe there is a team who would flip some third-tier prospect for him, but at that point, you may as well hold him. You still need to fill a 25-man roster and a flexible piece like him is fine. Every team seems to have one or two.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yes, but I am not sure there is any interest at all. Like maybe there is a team who would flip some third-tier prospect for him, but at that point, you may as well hold him. You still need to fill a 25-man roster and a flexible piece like him is fine. Every team seems to have one or two.
A legitimate pennant contender probably would need to suffer a major injury to a prominent bench player, plus have a halfway-decent prospect who is blocked in their system. Think of something along the lines of the Cubs trading a fringe top 100, major-league-ready guy in Jeimer Candelario (blocked by Kris Bryant) and an 18-year-old up-and-comer in Isaac Paredes (blocked by Javy Baez and Addison Russell) for an inconsistent middle-reliever (who happened to be pitching over his head at the time of the trade) in Justin Wilson and a backup catcher in Alex Avila.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I’m not worried about how these guys hit. Robert solves that problem when he gets here.
I'm very worried about how Engel doesnt hit. There's no place for an automatic out in an AL lineup.

I get it, he runs down baseballs with a lot of heart and savvy. Too bad he sucks at literally everything else.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'm very worried about how Engel doesnt hit. There's no place for an automatic out in an AL lineup.

I get it, he runs down baseballs with a lot of heart and savvy. Too bad he sucks at literally everything else.
If you think this team is going to make a serious run at a playoff spot, then you have a point about an offensive sinkhole in the lineup. I donít see that serious run as a possibility this season, so I would rather see what these young pitchers accomplish with competent defenders at every position (except 1B) and a competent catcher behind the plate. That would qualify as putting the pitchers in the best possible position to succeed. With all those defensive uncertainties eliminated, it would be time for these guys to ďput up or shut up.Ē
Old 05-08-2019, 10:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If you think this team is going to make a serious run at a playoff spot, then you have a point about an offensive sinkhole in the lineup. I donít see that serious run as a possibility this season, so I would rather see what these young pitchers accomplish with competent defenders at every position (except 1B) and a competent catcher behind the plate. That would qualify as putting the pitchers in the best possible position to succeed. With all those defensive uncertainties eliminated, it would be time for these guys to ďput up or shut up.Ē
I think Tilson could make this argument a moot point. He looks solid in CF.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think Tilson could make this argument a moot point. He looks solid in CF.
Itís been two games.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Itís been two games.
And Engel has had 266 to prove he sucks at baseball.

Tilson looks good tracking balls.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 AM
WSI Personality

Tilson and Engel and dime a dozen AAAA players. They're filler and nothing more.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Tilson and Engel and dime a dozen AAAA players. They're filler and nothing more.
If Tilson could hold his own offensively and play good defense, he could have a role as a 4th-5th OF on a contender. The hope was that Engel could develop into that, but the offense never came around and doesn't look like it ever will.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
If Tilson could hold his own offensively and play good defense, he could have a role as a 4th-5th OF on a contender. The hope was that Engel could develop into that, but the offense never came around and doesn't look like it ever will.
Tilson was fairly well thought of in the Cardinals' system a few years ago. Injuries have really put a damper on his development, but if he can live up to the hype he once had his ceiling is higher than that, IMO.
Closed Thread