Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Tilson was fairly well thought of in the Cardinals' system a few years ago. Injuries have really put a damper on his development, but if he can live up to the hype he once had his ceiling is higher than that, IMO.
Tilson has always shown the ability to hit for average, but he has very little power. Defensively he takes good routes and has an average arm. All around he is superior to Engel, but a top notch 4th outfielder is probably his final ceiling. Good player to have on your roster IMO.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Tilson and Engel and dime a dozen AAAA players. They're filler and nothing more.
Engel's defense is not dime a dozen and Tilson's all around ability is not dime a dozen either. While neither are destined to be major league regulars both have abilities valuable to a deep major league roster. Neither are filler....
Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
And Engel has had 266 to prove he sucks at baseball.

Tilson looks good tracking balls.
If your argument is Tilson vs Engel, I have no problem choosing Tilson. Adam Engel is not a quality MLB player.

If it’s Tilson as a full time regular or even a desirable part of the roster past 2019, I’d object.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-09-2019, 10:16 AM
WSI Prelate

I have zero issue this year seeing what Tilson can do before we write him off.

He was a pretty respected prospect in 2016 when we got him.

He lost 2017 and much of 2018 to injuries. That sucked.

He is showing flashes of his old game, which is great.

The one thing to this is, he has to be a 25+ SB guy still. If his injuries have robbed him of his speed, he won't slug enough to be useful enough. Think Scotty Pods if he could not steal bases.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

The one thing to this is, he has to be a 25+ SB guy still. If his injuries have robbed him of his speed, he won't slug enough to be useful enough. Think Scotty Pods if he could not steal bases.
Agree with all of this. Adam Engel is organizational depth or waiver wire fodder. Any argument that you play him because he can help your young pitching is understandable, but just not how baseball really works in 2019. To be that guy, you have to at least have *some* offensive potential - see Harrison Bader or Albert Almora - and even then you're not a regular.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Tilson has always shown the ability to hit for average, but he has very little power. Defensively he takes good routes and has an average arm. All around he is superior to Engel, but a top notch 4th outfielder is probably his final ceiling. Good player to have on your roster IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

They might not be idea players and I wouldn't want to rely on them on a competitive team, but Tilson and Cordell are probably what we'll have to settle for until the "cavalry" arrives in the form of Robert and some of the other OF prospects in the minors.

I can do without total butchers out there and guys who can't even hit .200. But, guys like Tilson and Cordell might be adequate enough to suffice for the time being. I was hoping that Jimenez would sew up an OF spot starting this year. I'm confident in his bat, of course, but his defense has looked shockingly bad so far. Can we at least play the outfield without hurting ourselves?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
In other words, heís Leury Garcia with a better glove, and he should be playing CF while Leury plays LF.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Agree with all of this. Adam Engel is organizational depth or waiver wire fodder. Any argument that you play him because he can help your young pitching is understandable, but just not how baseball really works in 2019. To be that guy, you have to at least have *some* offensive potential - see Harrison Bader or Albert Almora - and even then you're not a regular.
Not a regular on a good team, but this year’s team is far from complete. They are not yet built to contend, so I don’t really care about making quick outs or leaving runners on base. I care more about keeping pitch counts, batters faced, and relief appearances as low as possible.

Last edited by Mohoney; 05-09-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Not a regular on a [i]good[/] team, but this yearís team is far from complete. They are not yet built to contend, so I donít really care about making quick outs or leaving runners on base. I care more about keeping pitch counts, batters faced, and relief appearances as low as possible.
Understood and I see your point, for sure, but I don't think even rebuilding teams are trotting glove-only guys out there for that purpose. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Leury is a mediocre outfielder but a pretty good infielder (2nd to best SS on roster). Good infielder + ability to play OF + .700 OPS = good utility player. They really need to move him and put Rondon in that spot who can also play infield (although I'm not sure about SS) and is controlled through 2024. They should be able to get a lottery ticket or 2 for Leury.
As for Engle, he needs to "hit like Leury" to have value on a ML roster.
The other question is what to do with Colome. They could deal him, but in December they'd be back looking for another reliever. Considering what they got for Soria (Madeiros) and what they gave up for Colome (Narvaez), I'd keep him.

Last edited by Tragg; 05-12-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Like how Cordell and Tilson could be shaping up as 4th and 5th outfielders on the 2020 Sox (assuming Robert joins Jimenez in the starting outfield with starting RF TBD).

I think Leury is very valuable as a super sub (can adequately play 6 positions, switch hitter, can run, get a bunt down).

They have to be considering McCann for an extension to partner with Collins behind the plate (I think he gets called up after trading deadline this season).

I think the days of Engel, Delmonico, Sanchez, Palka and Castillo are thankfully coming to a close.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Like how Cordell and Tilson could be shaping up as 4th and 5th outfielders on the 2020 Sox (assuming Robert joins Jimenez in the starting outfield with starting RF TBD).

I think Leury is very valuable as a super sub (can adequately play 6 positions, switch hitter, can run, get a bunt down).

They have to be considering McCann for an extension to partner with Collins behind the plate (I think he gets called up after trading deadline this season).

I think the days of Engel, Delmonico, Sanchez, Palka and Castillo are thankfully coming to a close.
If he continues to hit at Charlotte, Mendick is going to demand his shot pretty soon. He's absolutely tearing it up down there and is playing all three IF positions.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-12-2019, 10:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

Palka should get another shot. There's an opening at 1B/DH (there should be anyway). Alonso should be cut.
Engel's probably done. Sanchez still plays every day.
Leave Delmonico alone.
Castillo should be cut, but the AAA catchers are hurt.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Palka should get another shot. There's an opening at 1B/DH (there should be anyway). Alonso should be cut.
Leave Delmonico alone.
Palka is sucking wildly at AAA.

Edit: I sit corrected, he apparently has been on a hot streak and is taking walks and hitting for power again. If that continues he'll get his shot.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Leave Delmonico alone.
Palka can't play 1B- so not really an option, and he's not part of 2020 anyway.

This is Sanchez's last season with the team- he hasn't had a good month since May, 2018- he's hit in the .220's since then. Maybe Mendick gets some his playing time later this season.

Delmonico will be sent down when Eloy is reactivated- barring injury, he doesn't really have a role- especially with Tilson and Cordell passing him on the depth chart.

No reason to cut Castillo or Alonso right now- if they regress to their career averages someone might need them at the deadline.
Closed Thread