Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Chuck Garfein just said that Jose Ruiz was optioned to Charlotte.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:27 AM
WSI Prelate

This is a move I wish they would make: Dump Alonso and promote Collins. Heís played some first base (which supposedly is a big reason Alonso is being retained to back up Abreu), and having him on the roster allows him and McCann to share some DH duties. Iíd ordinarily say dump Castillo, too, but evidently Lopez has said Castillo has been helpful to him.

So let Castillo be Lopezís personal catcher (one fifth of starts, 20%);

Have McCann catch Giolito (one fifth of starts, 20%) and start against every opposing LH starter other than when Lopez is starting (estimated at one third of three fifths of starts, or 20%); and

Have Collins catch against every RH starter other than when Giolito or Lopez are starting (estimated at two thirds of three fifths or 40%).

Then, Collins is the starting DH (or plays 1B to allow Abreu to DH) whenever he isnít catching. When Collins is catching, McCann can DH.

This gets Collinsí bat into the lineup almost every day, but heís only catching approximately 40% of the time; the rest is at DH or 1B.

This gets McCannís bat in the lineup 80% of the time; approximately half at C and half at DH.

This has Castillo only starting one-fifth of games, and heís on the bench for emergency situations for all the other games.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
This is a move I wish they would make: Dump Alonso and promote Collins. Heís played some first base (which supposedly is a big reason Alonso is being retained to back up Abreu), and having him on the roster allows him and McCann to share some DH duties. Iíd ordinarily say dump Castillo, too, but evidently Lopez has said Castillo has been helpful to him.

So let Castillo be Lopezís personal catcher (one fifth of starts, 20%);

Have McCann catch Giolito (one fifth of starts, 20%) and start against every opposing LH starter other than when Lopez is starting (estimated at one third of three fifths of starts, or 20%); and

Have Collins catch against every RH starter other than when Giolito or Lopez are starting (estimated at two thirds of three fifths or 40%).

Then, Collins is the starting DH (or plays 1B to allow Abreu to DH) whenever he isnít catching. When Collins is catching, McCann can DH.

This gets Collinsí bat into the lineup almost every day, but heís only catching approximately 40% of the time; the rest is at DH or 1B.

This gets McCannís bat in the lineup 80% of the time; approximately half at C and half at DH.

This has Castillo only starting one-fifth of games, and heís on the bench for emergency situations for all the other games.
Seems very unconventional, but this actually makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see Collins at the big league level sooner rather than later so we know whether he's a long term piece of the puzzle. The hang up is that stupid $8M Alonso is getting paid...
Old 05-23-2019, 07:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Seems very unconventional, but this actually makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see Collins at the big league level sooner rather than later so we know whether he's a long term piece of the puzzle. The hang up is that stupid $8M Alonso is getting paid...
Exactly! If the Sox did what I proposed, then you can go with this lineup (whether Renteria would actually do this is another matter):

Anderson
Moncada
Eloy
Abreu
Collins
McCann (Castillo)
Tilson/Cordell
Yolmer
Leury

Hereís another point to make about Collins. If the Sox want him to stick at catcher, what better way to help him in that regard than by learning from McCann at the major league level? McCann is earning high praise for his work with the pitchers, studying scouting reports and video, and providing team leadership. These supposedly are the qualities that led the Sox to sign him. So if they believe those things - and thereís no reason to believe the Sox were being disingenuous about liking those things about McCann, then it makes sense for McCann to mentor Collins.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Palka's found it in Charlotte. Betcha he'll be back sometime soon. To do what? Don't ask me.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Palka's found it in Charlotte. Betcha he'll be back sometime soon. To do what? Don't ask me.
Things is, the guys that replaced him (and Engel) in the OF mix, Cordell and Tilson, have been played pretty well at the major league level. They also offer a big boost over Palka defensively. So the most sensible way to get Palka back to Chicago would be as a DH.

It would really be to Palka's advantage to see if he can play a passable 1B.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Things is, the guys that replaced him (and Engel) in the OF mix, Cordell and Tilson, have been played pretty well at the major league level. They also offer a big boost over Palka defensively. So the most sensible way to get Palka back to Chicago would be as a DH.

You wouldn't be thinking of him as a replacement for $8M Alonso??? Perish the thought, and so would I.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
So the most sensible way to get Palka back to Chicago would be as a DH.

yep, and there's room at both positions.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Castillo to the IL.

Zavala called up to the Sox.

Alonso must have photos of Hahn and Renteria in compromising positions.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Castillo to the IL.

Interesting because they just said Castillo was not in the concussion protocol.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-25-2019, 10:27 AM
WSI Prelate

With this move having been made, I hope that in Charlotte Collins will get all the reps (obviously with occasional days off as catchers usually receive) at C, and they will have Skole DH while Palka gets reps at 1B.

If Palka can at least catch throws at 1B, then he should replace Alonso on the roster.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:28 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
With this move having been made, I hope that in Charlotte Collins will get all the reps (obviously with occasional days off as catchers usually receive) at C, and they will have Skole DH while Palka gets reps at 1B.

If Palka can at least catch throws at 1B, then he should replace Alonso on the roster.
Has Palka had any reps at 1B at all? Even in the spring?
Old 05-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

Maybe things change, but I am guessing the team does not view Palka as a viable 1B or he'd be receiving reps by now.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Castillo to the IL.

Weíre still not quite clear of the potential Super Two cutoff, and I donít think they want to promote Collins only to demote him 10 days later. Plus, Zavala is better defensively.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Weíre still not quite clear of the potential Super Two cutoff, and I donít think they want to promote Collins only to demote him 10 days later. Plus, Zavala is better defensively.
My scenario was predicated on the situation BEFORE Castillo was placed on the IL.

Now that Castillo is on the IL, Iím fine with Zavala getting the call to replace him.
Closed Thread