White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #346  
Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 11,811
Default

Chuck Garfein just said that Jose Ruiz was optioned to Charlotte.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
  #347  
Old 05-23-2019, 06:27 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,711
Blog Entries: 1
Default

This is a move I wish they would make: Dump Alonso and promote Collins. Heís played some first base (which supposedly is a big reason Alonso is being retained to back up Abreu), and having him on the roster allows him and McCann to share some DH duties. Iíd ordinarily say dump Castillo, too, but evidently Lopez has said Castillo has been helpful to him.

So let Castillo be Lopezís personal catcher (one fifth of starts, 20%);

Have McCann catch Giolito (one fifth of starts, 20%) and start against every opposing LH starter other than when Lopez is starting (estimated at one third of three fifths of starts, or 20%); and

Have Collins catch against every RH starter other than when Giolito or Lopez are starting (estimated at two thirds of three fifths or 40%).

Then, Collins is the starting DH (or plays 1B to allow Abreu to DH) whenever he isnít catching. When Collins is catching, McCann can DH.

This gets Collinsí bat into the lineup almost every day, but heís only catching approximately 40% of the time; the rest is at DH or 1B.

This gets McCannís bat in the lineup 80% of the time; approximately half at C and half at DH.

This has Castillo only starting one-fifth of games, and heís on the bench for emergency situations for all the other games.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
  #348  
Old 05-23-2019, 06:50 AM
BRDSR BRDSR is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
This is a move I wish they would make: Dump Alonso and promote Collins. Heís played some first base (which supposedly is a big reason Alonso is being retained to back up Abreu), and having him on the roster allows him and McCann to share some DH duties. Iíd ordinarily say dump Castillo, too, but evidently Lopez has said Castillo has been helpful to him.

So let Castillo be Lopezís personal catcher (one fifth of starts, 20%);

Have McCann catch Giolito (one fifth of starts, 20%) and start against every opposing LH starter other than when Lopez is starting (estimated at one third of three fifths of starts, or 20%); and

Have Collins catch against every RH starter other than when Giolito or Lopez are starting (estimated at two thirds of three fifths or 40%).

Then, Collins is the starting DH (or plays 1B to allow Abreu to DH) whenever he isnít catching. When Collins is catching, McCann can DH.

This gets Collinsí bat into the lineup almost every day, but heís only catching approximately 40% of the time; the rest is at DH or 1B.

This gets McCannís bat in the lineup 80% of the time; approximately half at C and half at DH.

This has Castillo only starting one-fifth of games, and heís on the bench for emergency situations for all the other games.
Seems very unconventional, but this actually makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see Collins at the big league level sooner rather than later so we know whether he's a long term piece of the puzzle. The hang up is that stupid $8M Alonso is getting paid...
  #349  
Old 05-23-2019, 07:33 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,711
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Seems very unconventional, but this actually makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see Collins at the big league level sooner rather than later so we know whether he's a long term piece of the puzzle. The hang up is that stupid $8M Alonso is getting paid...
Exactly! If the Sox did what I proposed, then you can go with this lineup (whether Renteria would actually do this is another matter):

Anderson
Moncada
Eloy
Abreu
Collins
McCann (Castillo)
Tilson/Cordell
Yolmer
Leury


Hereís another point to make about Collins. If the Sox want him to stick at catcher, what better way to help him in that regard than by learning from McCann at the major league level? McCann is earning high praise for his work with the pitchers, studying scouting reports and video, and providing team leadership. These supposedly are the qualities that led the Sox to sign him. So if they believe those things - and thereís no reason to believe the Sox were being disingenuous about liking those things about McCann, then it makes sense for McCann to mentor Collins.
  #350  
Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 AM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,829
Default

Palka's found it in Charlotte. Betcha he'll be back sometime soon. To do what? Don't ask me.
__________________
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and the rotten ones don't roll much.
  #351  
Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 AM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Palka's found it in Charlotte. Betcha he'll be back sometime soon. To do what? Don't ask me.
Things is, the guys that replaced him (and Engel) in the OF mix, Cordell and Tilson, have been played pretty well at the major league level. They also offer a big boost over Palka defensively. So the most sensible way to get Palka back to Chicago would be as a DH.

It would really be to Palka's advantage to see if he can play a passable 1B.
  #352  
Old 05-24-2019, 04:07 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Things is, the guys that replaced him (and Engel) in the OF mix, Cordell and Tilson, have been played pretty well at the major league level. They also offer a big boost over Palka defensively. So the most sensible way to get Palka back to Chicago would be as a DH.

It would really be to Palka's advantage to see if he can play a passable 1B.
You wouldn't be thinking of him as a replacement for $8M Alonso??? Perish the thought, and so would I.
  #353  
Old 05-25-2019, 09:20 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,741
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
So the most sensible way to get Palka back to Chicago would be as a DH.

It would really be to Palka's advantage to see if he can play a passable 1B.
yep, and there's room at both positions.
  #354  
Old 05-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,711
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Castillo to the IL.

Zavala called up to the Sox.

Alonso must have photos of Hahn and Renteria in compromising positions.
  #355  
Old 05-25-2019, 10:25 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,233
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Castillo to the IL.

Zavala called up to the Sox.

Alonso must have photos of Hahn and Renteria in compromising positions.
Interesting because they just said Castillo was not in the concussion protocol.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
  #356  
Old 05-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,711
Blog Entries: 1
Default

With this move having been made, I hope that in Charlotte Collins will get all the reps (obviously with occasional days off as catchers usually receive) at C, and they will have Skole DH while Palka gets reps at 1B.

If Palka can at least catch throws at 1B, then he should replace Alonso on the roster.
  #357  
Old 05-25-2019, 10:28 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,741
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
With this move having been made, I hope that in Charlotte Collins will get all the reps (obviously with occasional days off as catchers usually receive) at C, and they will have Skole DH while Palka gets reps at 1B.

If Palka can at least catch throws at 1B, then he should replace Alonso on the roster.
Has Palka had any reps at 1B at all? Even in the spring?
  #358  
Old 05-25-2019, 10:30 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,233
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
With this move having been made, I hope that in Charlotte Collins will get all the reps (obviously with occasional days off as catchers usually receive) at C, and they will have Skole DH while Palka gets reps at 1B.

If Palka can at least catch throws at 1B, then he should replace Alonso on the roster.
Maybe things change, but I am guessing the team does not view Palka as a viable 1B or he'd be receiving reps by now.
  #359  
Old 05-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 11,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Castillo to the IL.

Zavala called up to the Sox.

Alonso must have photos of Hahn and Renteria in compromising positions.
Weíre still not quite clear of the potential Super Two cutoff, and I donít think they want to promote Collins only to demote him 10 days later. Plus, Zavala is better defensively.
  #360  
Old 05-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,711
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Weíre still not quite clear of the potential Super Two cutoff, and I donít think they want to promote Collins only to demote him 10 days later. Plus, Zavala is better defensively.
My scenario was predicated on the situation BEFORE Castillo was placed on the IL.

Now that Castillo is on the IL, Iím fine with Zavala getting the call to replace him.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.