Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

I couldn't disagree more with the premise of this thread. When Benetti came on, there was all kinds of hand-wringing that we were getting a cookie-cutter ESPN guy with no personality. Now he shows personality like Hawk did and people are complaining? Gimme a break...
I enjoy his jokes and his deep cut cultural references. Is there REALLY anyone out there who would rather hear him talking about spin rate and launch velocity at every available moment between pitches? Let the guy have some fun. After all, isn't that the point of literally all of this? Sports are supposed to be fun to watch, participate in, commentate on.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Benetti talks a lot and doesn't say much, meanwhile Stone talks little and says a lot. Find a new PBP man
Old 06-21-2019, 12:59 AM
Official Professor

I'd give my opinion, but I'd just be an old man yelling at clouds.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick53 View Post
Is there anybody else out there who would like to see these two be a little less corny and sophomoric? They give me a headache after a few innings.
You got me remembering the glory days of Harry Caray and JC Martin. And Harry drinking him under the table to where JC could not appear for the post game interview. What I would a give to reinvent that chemistry in the booth. You can't beat fun at the old ball park.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

I've been a huge fan of Steve Stone ever since 2005, when he worked for espn as the 2nd color guy . he understands all facets of the game and is very good at describing, and at times explaining, what he is seeing on the field . Jason Benetti is intelligent and articulate and definitely knows the game . there are times when he seems like a hyperactive teenager, but that's his personality . they have great chemistry, and genuinely seem to like each other, which is a nice change from the coldness between Hawk and Stone, i do find myself listening to the other teams feed at times, when he gets to be a bit much, but all in all, i'm fine with them, because i know that they both want the White Sox to win as much as i do.

Also, as for the crowd shots, i first thought it was just WGN, who has always done that sort of thing, but it's the NBC affiliate too, and it seems to me that the director doesn't seem to interested in the game, but more in watching the crowd.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Benetti is HORRIBLE...
No, he's not. He just gets on tangents and injects weak attempts at humor and that stuff bugs me.

I absolutely love him during Bowl Week doing college football. But there's so much going on during the football games that he doesn't have time to get into the inane stuff that drives me up the wall.

And side note, having met him, I really like him, he was great to talk with, very engaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
"We hate Hawk."
"We hate Benetti."

Never hated Hawk, even when he lost some of his sharpness on the calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
Just some random thoughts...

I liked Hawk a great deal. When Eloy hit the HR, I even said to myself, 'He looks up...You can put it on the board!"
Same here. I just stood up from my couch and yelled "Way back!!"
Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post

Step 1 is admittance.

Completely joking. Honestly, love to hear your thoughts on this. I am honestly surprised people dislike Jason. He comes across pretty savy, while he does rant a bit I also think he is getting better. He's made some great calls this season and has show some passion so I really do like him.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
But there's so much going on during the football games that he doesn't have time to get into the inane stuff that drives me up the wall.
That's the reason I think he'd be much better suited doing play-by-play on the radio.

I think it would be great if he replaced Farmer.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
A visual to go with your reference.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:21 PM
WSI Regular

I think Jason and Steve have gotten better since they first started. Initially there was even more silliness than you see today. One thing I have noticed is the quality of the TV direction this year. I know the previous director of the telecasts retired after last year and his work was outstanding. This year the camera spends too much time on the guest being interviewed and not the action on the field. We don't need to constantly see them to get the gist of the subject matter being discussed. Jason/Steve need to realize that their first job is to cover the game but they seem to get wrapped up in the interview and let the play (if the camera is on it) describe itself. One of the worst was the "mustard man" interview. There was too much visual focus on him and not the game. I could have cared less about that interview. When I'm paying for MLB.TV I expect to see the game and not some quirky interview. I don't really care for the Sox Math, etc. but I realize their focus has to be on the future fans and not those of us who can easily relate to Elson and Brickhouse. It's much like the character races on the scoreboard (or in costume on the field) and the sound/visual effects (for the video game generation) between pitches. The younger generation seems to continually need something to focus on.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:26 PM
WSI Personality

I found the 1st inning of Giolito's start against the Cubs to be maddening in regards to the broadcast. Before he even threw a pitch Jason says something to the effect of "This park is one of the biggest signals of his turnaround as he was torched here in the 1st inning on May 13th of last year." And then as Giolito proceeds to pitch WORSE than he did last year they stayed with that angle and even had Chuck Garfein chime in on it. It was such a poorly timed plot line to try to push but it's like they had decided before the game they were going to do it no matter what.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:51 PM
WSI Guru

Is this thread for real? Sorry, but the Allens, Gowdys and Scullys are gone, and they're not coming back. New generations need new baseball voices to go with them, and Benetti fits the mold IMO. Bunch of old men yelling at clouds here.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Is this thread for real? Sorry, but the Allens, Gowdys and Scullys are gone, and they're not coming back. New generations need new baseball voices to go with them, and Benetti fits the mold IMO. Bunch of old men yelling at clouds here.
People are entitled to their opinions without being insulted. I'm tired of this reference. I get the joke. It's not that funny when directed at actual people....

Thanks...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-21-2019, 10:48 PM
WSI Village Atheist

I am fine with Benetti and Stone. I liked Hawk, but Benetti is a great upgrade from the last few years of Hawk. No problem with any of their humor or attempts to engage younger viewers.

And I'm an old man, too.

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L

Next Game Sep 28
Old 06-21-2019, 11:45 PM
WSI Personality

I think Jason and Stone are great and the Sox are lucky to have them.

I donít want to live in a world where people hate Jason Benetti. Just a solid kid doing a great job and heís getting better.