Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2019, 02:34 PM
WSI High Priest

The only reason to keep Abreu is to extend a Qualifying Offer to him, which basically allows the team to keep Abreu without having to commit to a second or third year. That flexibility may be more valuable than whoever they can get at the trade deadline.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:57 PM
WSI High Priest

I just found an NBC Chicago article written by Dan Hayes from Spring Training in 2016. Having trouble copying and pasting on my Pad. In it Jose said he and his wife were taking English classes as he finds it important to communicate with his coaches and teammates. Bench Coach Rick Renteria was also helping him learn the language. He said he wants to do interviews in English but not until he is comfortable and doesn't want things to come out wrong. Again, this was over 3 years ago so my guess is that Jose at this point is communicating well enough with ALL of teammates go be a leader.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-07-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:08 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Unless that person was bilingual, yes.

So what we’ve learned in this thread is that any true clubhouse leader in baseball must speak the languages of all the players on the team. Must be tough being a clubhouse leader on the Dodgers! Four languages!

My point was that he may be a clubhouse leader but is not the only clubhouse leader. I bet most teams have many leaders these days. Losing one leader shouldnt make much of a difference.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:10 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Again, this was over 3 years ago so my guess is that Jose at this point is communicating well enough with ALL of teammates go be a leader.
Or gave up on english. Its been 3 years , wouldnt the public have seen an english interview by now?
Old 07-07-2019, 04:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Or gave up on english. Its been 3 years , wouldnt the public have seen an english interview by now?
You would think so but I can't honestly answer your question.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-07-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:48 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Well you might be correct, I still find it hard to believe after 7 years he can't speak some English, his late fellow countryman, Minnie Minoso had no trouble. If Abreu can't learn English it has to because he has no interest in it and that's on him, but as to your point he's probably missing out on some endorsement money.
I could not more strongly disagree. I know plenty of people who are born here who butcher the language. Perhaps he’s tried and he’s just not language proficient. I know a lot of people who want to learn Spanish, or so they say by taking classes, who cannot grasp it. English isn’t easy.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
I could not more strongly disagree. I know plenty of people who are born here who butcher the language. Perhaps he’s tried and he’s just not language proficient. I know a lot of people who want to learn Spanish, or so they say by taking classes, who cannot grasp it. English isn’t easy.
Read my later post (#17) about Abreu trying to learn the language.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Read my later post (#17) about Abreu trying to learn the language.
Fair enough.

Honestly, I remember him saying he wanted to learn English and I’ve been surprised that we in the public haven’t seen him speak it, but there may be reasons why that’s the case, and I’m sure he is indeed a leader.

On a side note, should we expect all non-native-Spanish speakers to learn some Spanish in order to function in baseball? I’ve certainly tried myself so I can meet my fellow citizens in the middle.

Last edited by XplodingScorbord; 07-07-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 07-07-2019, 05:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Has the public seen any White Sox interview in three years?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-07-2019, 05:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Has the public seen any White Sox interview in three years?
Great question...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-07-2019, 06:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Put yourself in his situation. If you kinda know English, but don't really feel confident in it, and you're going into a situation where you don't know what you will be asked, and if you respond to something the wrong way you know it could become a 'thing' in the media or with the fans - why would he take the risk? What's the upside?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Put yourself in his situation. If you kinda know English, but don't really feel confident in it, and you're going into a situation where you don't know what you will be asked, and if you respond to something the wrong way you know it could become a 'thing' in the media or with the fans - why would he take the risk? What's the upside?
That's what happened to Sammy Sosa!
Old 07-07-2019, 06:06 PM
WSI High Priest

I am 100% in the sign Abreu camp- maybe a 2 year deal with a club option/buy out for year 3. He's the starting 1B next season- then gradually moves to the DH role as one of Collins/Sheets/Vaughn emerge as the starting 1st baseman.

We can afford his salary, he'll probably be the only veteran position player on the team for 2020 (other than a possible FA RF), he can play a positive role in the development of the young Cuban prospects, he's a fan favorite and a quality human being.

I hope he stays.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Since this is baseball and not cap-controlled sport, the decision should be pretty straight forward.

Vaughn is not likely going to be here until 2021 and there are no guarantees with prospects, no matter how highly picked (although he is a tremendous pick on paper).

There is no reason to believe Sheets or Burger (or Collins) are going to supplant anybody at any position right now.

Yoan and Eloy speak very highly of Abreu as a leader and go-to in the clubhouse. I am willing to bet even some of the non-Latin players view him as one of a few leaders.

A few years - maybe a 3 year deal - should be perfect. Allows the potential for Vaughn to come up and split some DH/1B duties with Abreu in the second half of 2021 and beyond.

If you want to contend for a spot next year, the Sox need Abreu. He's one of the best bats at 1B in the AL, even with a diminished OBP right now.

If you don't want to bring him back, I would ask: Who are you replacing him with next year?
Old 07-07-2019, 09:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

I would trade Abreu, Mcann, and Colome IF I can get quality prospects in return. Then I'd re-sign Abreu and Mcann as free agents.