Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2019, 09:08 PM
WSI Personality

Default *Official* 7/20/19 Sox Win the (Rays) Series Postgamer

McCann comes up big and YoYo with the speed to win it. Go get the sweep tomorrow!
Old 07-20-2019, 09:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Giolitto, one mistake, otherwise brilliant. Dreaming of our rotation next year....
Old 07-20-2019, 09:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Game effort.
Great work by the big 4 in the pen. Jace is back and Marshall's hanging in there.
Nice shift, Rays....lose on the sorriest looking single to right imaginable. Great work Jose, clearly trying to punch one against it.
And as I keep editing (as this may be my favorite game of the year), Mr. Engel up to .718 OPS

Last edited by Tragg; 07-20-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:20 PM
WSI Personality

Cease goes for the sweep tomorrow. Worth tuning in.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Cease goes for the sweep tomorrow. Worth tuning in.
My how the worm has turned.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-20-2019, 10:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Old 07-20-2019, 10:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
My how the worm has turned.
Not for me it hasnít. Iím with these guys win or lose. I just want to see continued development this season.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

I agree with you X. This team is up and down. I accept that reality. When they're getting pitching, timely hitting and their defense they're in games regardless of the opponent.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Do runs scored on seeing eye singles even count anymore? Clearly, they shouldn't in modern baseball. BTW, was it ever mentioned on this board that Gio's mother is the tall, willowy actress Lindsay Frost, who among other roles, portrayed one of Kelsey Grammer's many girl friends on a few episodes of Frasier? In case you were wondering where Lucas's height comes from. I don't know if she has much of a slider, though.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Do runs scored on seeing eye singles even count anymore? Clearly, they shouldn't in modern baseball. BTW, was it ever mentioned on this board that Gio's mother is the tall, willowy actress Lindsay Frost, who among other roles, portrayed one of Kelsey Grammer's many girl friends on a few episodes of Frasier? In case you were wondering where Lucas's height comes from. I don't know if she has much of a slider, though.
I've looked the run-scoring hit several times, and I've looked through the game wraps to explain that. For all the world it looks like a hit-and-run taking advantage of the defensive hole and a (relatively) weak-armed substitute right fielder. Moncada got a great jump off of first leaving the right side wide open. He didn't even begin a slide, but slowed to pick up the ball when he heard the hit (the ball hit in the air and catchable would mean reatreating to first to avoid being double up). Abreu looked like he was swinging down on the ball and trying to go the other way on the ground. Either Abreu was fooled on the pitch or he was trying to punch a grounder through the vacated right side to (minimally) put runners at first and third with no one out, a big deal on the road in extra innings.

What made it a perfect execution of the hit-and-run, assuming it wasn't a fluke, that looked like the perfect execution of a hit-and-run, was the jump that Moncada got off of first. It wasn't his speed that got him around to score. It was the fact that the he was already at second base as the ball bounced into the outfield with the injury-substitute right fielder playing deep to cut off a potential gapper. I don't know if any reporter at the post-game press conference asked about the play, but it should have been the first question of Renteria.

That looked like the White Sox won this game playing 1950's White Sox small ball with their 2010s home run leader.

At the same time, the White Sox should have lost this game in the ninth with Marshall on the mound. If Adames executes the sacrifice, instead of bunting into a force at third to put the winning run on third with one out, Zunino probably is waived to first to set up a force. He doesn't ground into a double play, anyway. If they don't intentionally walk Zunino, they bring in the infield. Whatever happened with Zunino or Choi, the Rays would have been in good shape to push across the winning run.

Combined, both teams went 0-for 12 with runners in scoring position. The Rays had twice as many opportunities as the White Sox. The two runs in regulation were scored on solo home runs. From the bottom of the ninth when the Rays could have walked it off, it came down to small ball. The Rays lost their chance to win by not executing the sacrifice attempt, and the White Sox scored the winning run without making solid contact.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:10 AM
WSI Guru

Fun game, nice win. How the hell is Avi playing CF in Tampa? Good grief.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Combined, both teams went 0-for 12 with runners in scoring position. The Rays had twice as many opportunities as the White Sox. The two runs in regulation were scored on solo home runs.
3-12 would have been the norm, but there was some good pitching all around.

If anything, it shows the value of the home run. Those were the only runs scored all day by either team. Too many baserunners die on the basepaths.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

If anything, it shows the value of the home run. Those were the only runs scored all day by either team. Too many baserunners die on the basepaths.
First, the "norm" is irrelevant. The norm averages success and failure and treats all game situations equally. In a game with two solo home runs between the two teams being the only scoring over the first nine innings, taking a different approach to drive in runners who might resulted in more runs.

The Rays opened the ninth with a walk and a single, and they couldn't push across the winning run. A successful sacrifice bunt likely would have won them the game. The White Sox opened the 11th with a a walk and a ground ball that wasn't hit hard enough for the Rays to have turned a double play if it had been hit to the second baseman, and it's the reason the Sox won. Even if the right fielder had been playing shallow (unlikely against Abreu, which increased the value of him punching the ball through the vacated hole on the right side), Moncada would have been standing at third with nobody out. You don't even need to get a hit to score from third with nobody out.

Baseball is a game of constantly shifting situations. Winning can often be a matter of situational hitting.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

What it really shows you is the value of speed & pitching.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Low-scoring, hard played, great pitching . my kind of game . Moncada scores the winning run . Gio looks back to form . welcome back Adam Engel . seemed like quite a few Sox fans there.