Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2019, 09:44 AM
WSI Guru

Default When will the Sox compete again?

It sounds like many people are ready to punt on next season as well as this one. So when will the Sox make a legitimate run at the playoffs again? Or will they need to embark on another rebuild before the notion is even considered?
Old 07-24-2019, 09:54 AM
WSI High Priest

2020 is always the year that optimistic people used as the start of the contention window back in 2016. The idea that the Sox could be competitive in 2020 is not outlandish. Most of the pieces will be in place then, it's just a question of ramp-up time especially for those recovering from TJ surgery.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 07-24-2019, 10:07 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
2020 is always the year that optimistic people used as the start of the contention window back in 2016. The idea that the Sox could be competitive in 2020 is not outlandish. Most of the pieces will be in place then, it's just a question of ramp-up time especially for those recovering from TJ surgery.
Yea, it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that the Sox are competing at least for the second wild card next year. I would hope they're starting to compete for the division in 2021.

I feel like the Sox are at this weird tipping point where if a few things go right, they can be a real good team for the next few years but if a few things go wrong, they could be right where they were in 2015 and 2016. But even that is an improvement from last year.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-24-2019, 10:33 AM
WSI Regular

With Rodon and Kopech healthy and in the rotation, we will be a much better team next year. Add Madrigal and Robert to the mix? Even if they don't start hitting right away, they'll give you what you're getting now out of those roster spots. We could easily be a 90 win team next year, and in the wild card mix from wire to wire. Moncada, Giolito, Anderson, Jimenez, and, to a lesser extent, Lopez's start to the second half, should show you that we're on schedule. My ideal lineup card for 2020:

Madrigal
McCann
Abreu
Moncada
Jimenez
Anderson
Robert
FA DH (or Vaughn)
Leury

Rotation:
Giolito
Rodon
Lopez
Kopech
Cease
Dunning
Nova
Pick five from here

Colome and Bummer anchor the pen with maybe Fullmer and a couple of FAs.

There is a crapload of talent on that team. 90 bid.

Last edited by doctorlecter; 07-24-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:37 AM
WSI Prelate

I think .500 is the minimum goal next year, playoffs the year after. It all depends on free agency, for example, these are 2 very different teams:

Rotation
Giolito
Kopech
Cease
Nova
Rodon/Lopez

Lineup
RF L Garcia
2b Madrigal
1b Abreu
3b Moncada
LF Eloy
CF Robert
SS Anderson
C McCann
DH Collins/Reed

Vs

Cole
Giolito
Kopech
Cease
Lopez/Rodon

Lineup

Cf Robert
2b Madrigal
1b Abreu
3b Moncada
LF Eloy
RF Puig
SS Anderson
C McCann
DH Reed/ Collins or a guy like Donaldson (or use it to rest guys)

And throw a couple good RP in there.

If we actually spend money, on big time guys, not low quality filler, then we can compete next year. This lineup is really starting to come together. You can actually somewhat see it.

But the truth is, with the rotation, we have no sure things. We don't know if Giolito will repeat this, we don't know if Kopech is coming back strong, or if Cease is ever going to be any good. Having someone to LEAD this staff as a 1 is so important. Add to all this that Rodon may miss all of next year while rehabbing from TJ, and assuming a guy who is never healthy has no set backs..... We need one, maybe 2 SP.

I kind of expect us to trade prospects for a sure thing this year too. Maybe not the TOP guys, but I can see trading for a solid number 2 type SP.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorlecter View Post
With Rodon and Kopech healthy and in the rotation, we will be a much better team next year. Add Madrigal and Robert to the mix? Even if they don't start hitting right away, they'll give you what you're getting now out of those roster spots. We could easily be a 90 win team next year, and in the wild card mix from wire to wire. Moncada, Giolito, Anderson, Jimenez, and, to a lesser extent, Lopez's start to the second half, should show you that we're on schedule. My ideal lineup card for 2020:

Madrigal
McCann
Abreu
Moncada
Jimenez
Anderson
Robert
FA DH (or Vaughn)
Leury

Rotation:
Giolito
Rodon
Lopez
Kopech
Nova (room for Dunning when he gets back)

Colome and Bummer anchor the pen with maybe Fullmer and a couple of FAs.

There is a crapload of talent on that team. 90 bid.
Agreed but I would prefer to see Robert much higher in the lineup and I'm not counting on Abreu being here. If he is then put him between Madrigal and Robert and let's roll...

Robert CF
Madrigal 2B
Moncada 3B
Eloy LF
Anderson SS
McCann C
1B/DH
DH/1B
RF

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-24-2019, 10:41 AM
WSI Regular

Damn, forgot about Cease in the rotation. I'd be okay with Leury in the OF, he's really come on this year. Spend the cash on the bullpen. I mean, really overload on it. Count on your young starter to give you 6, and have a lockdown bullpen after that.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

I expected anywhere from as few as three bad years to as many as five bad years for this rebuild to reach its maximum ability. Basically, somewhere between 2020 and 2022. I see no reason to deviate from that.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I expected anywhere from as few as three bad years to as many as five bad years for this rebuild to reach its maximum ability. Basically, somewhere between 2020 and 2022. I see no reason to deviate from that.
Exactly, the answer is "it depends" on how players develop. If Robert and Madrigal both come up next year and hit well and Eloy takes another step up to be the .900+ OPS guy we want/expect and the Cease steps up and Lopez continues to look like a front of the rotation starter and Kopech comes back strong the team could well be a couple relievers from being a division winner or more.

However if not everything goes as planned then the team should still be well over .500 and in the WC/division hunt for most of the season and 2021 would be a year they would really see things take off.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Exactly, the answer is "it depends" on how players develop. If Robert and Madrigal both come up next year and hit well and Eloy takes another step up to be the .900+ OPS guy we want/expect and the Cease steps up and Lopez continues to look like a front of the rotation starter and Kopech comes back strong the team could well be a couple relievers from being a division winner or more.

However if not everything goes as planned then the team should still be well over .500 and in the WC/division hunt for most of the season and 2021 would be a year they would really see things take off.
2021 also lets time ravage the rosters of the Indians and Twins.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

I would hardly say Lopez has looked like a front of the rotation SP...... I mean Cubs fans claiming Yu Darvish is their Game 1 playoff starter off 2 starts sound way off base, and that is basically doing the same, throwing out a year of garbage over 1 good start and 1 very good start.

Lopez has to do this for an entire half of baseball to have a locked in spot next year to me.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:22 AM
WSI Prelate

But it also still comes down to this front office, ownership, this team landing 2-3 REALLY GOOD free agents. There is not enough talent in home grown players to build entirely or even almost entirely from within. You need 1-2 rotation arms, 1-2 bullpen arms and 1-2 bats, and in that mix one rotation arm has to be a top 2 SP, one bullpen arm needs up to be a set up quality type and one bat has to be big.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I would hardly say Lopez has looked like a front of the rotation SP...... I mean Cubs fans claiming Yu Darvish is their Game 1 playoff starter off 2 starts sound way off base, and that is basically doing the same, throwing out a year of garbage over 1 good start and 1 very good start.

Lopez has to do this for an entire half of baseball to have a locked in spot next year to me.
He did last year and has again recently. If that continues it will dramatically increase the chance that next year will be more than another wait and see year.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:43 AM
WSI Personality

For the 2020 rotation to be solidified, a LOT would have to go right:

Rodon- has to stay healthy; everything so far indicates he cannot

Kopech, Cease- still unknowns

Lopez- prove it

Nova- filler

Giolito- probably good to go

Then in the minors, who do you have? Hansen might be a headcase and unreliable in the long run. Dunning has to recover from his injury and still hasn't been brought up.

That's why, to me, this team almost HAS to get Cole in the offseason.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:46 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

I expect them to be over .500 next year, but still with holes and not a credible contender. They will need to add a lot of front-line pitching, whether it's pitchers coming from outside the organization or back from injuries.