Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2019, 03:59 PM
WSI Regular

I wouldn't be surprised if the White Sox have a better record this year than next (2020).
Old 07-24-2019, 04:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the White Sox have a better record this year than next (2020).
Why do you say this?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Why do you say this?
I'm guessing he thinks the Sox will win 93 games this season! That would be hard to top in 2020.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-247
Old 07-24-2019, 04:26 PM
WSI High Priest

I would sign at least one more starting pitcher this offseason, maybe two. We don't know anything about the status of Kopech, Rodon or Dunning yet, and we can't have a revolving door for the fifth spot again.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:39 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Why do you say this?
Well, the are players this year that are having extraordinary seasons compared to their histories. Moncada was horrible last year. Giolito was horrible last year. Anderson wasn't very good last year. Most people had never even heard of McCann. I could even throw in Leury Garcia to a certain extent.

I follow the White Sox minor league system reasonably closely. I see only two legitimate position player prospects, Robert and Madrigal. It's way too early to determine Vaughn's potential.

What's the starting rotation next year? Will Giolito be as good? Rodon, in ninety career starts has proven to be a number four or five starter on a good team. How will Rodon and Kopech be after their surgeries? Dylan Cease hasn't proven anything at the ML level. Let's not forget Cease had a 4.48 ERA at Charlotte and a 1.566 WHIP when he was called up.

Is the current Eloy Jimenez what we can expect in the future? He has power, but doesn't appear to do anything else very well.

This may come across as a downer, but that's how I see things. I hope for better results, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Why do you say this?
Chris Elliott sums it up best:
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/7e5e327...3-b28bcd96c6d0
Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 PM
New At WSI

The Sox will contend when...

1) 2 out of every 5 games, their fans aren't thinking to themselves, "Can't wait 'til Kopech/others are ready - man this guy sucks! Why do I have to watch Covey/Detwiler/Despaigne/etc. again?"

2) 2 of the other 5 games isn't, "time to roll the dice - please let the starting pitcher give the offense a chance." (I know, Cease and Lopez are young.)

3) Leury Garcia and Yolmer Sanchez are on the bench on most days.

4) the DH spot doesn't seem like it's being picked out of a hat every night.

5) both corner outfielders are actually a threat to hit a ball out of the infield.

Free agency, along with simply getting a year older, can help most if not all of these by next year. I'm not expecting a World Series next year, but I am expecting to be above .500,
Old 07-24-2019, 05:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I actually hope that JR does NOT spend money on the team in 2020. There just isn't anything good to spend money on.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

Who do you think the Sox should overpay on that list? 35 year old Josh Donaldson as a DH? Russell Martin behind the plate? Bet that 41 year old Nelson Cruz can mask whatever he is injecting?
After the Machado debacle, fans will be even more pissed than before if they DON'T spend money. If they're not going to open the pocketbooks now, when? The last thing they need right now is more bad press for allegedly being cheap.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
Well, the are players this year that are having extraordinary seasons compared to their histories. Moncada was horrible last year. Giolito was horrible last year. Anderson wasn't very good last year.
Welcome to the concept of "player development." It is lost on many Sox fans since the team has been skipping that step for the past 10 years or so by signing journeymen free agents in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
After the Machado debacle, fans will be even more pissed than before if they DON'T spend money. If they're not going to open the pocketbooks now, when? The last thing they need right now is more bad press for allegedly being cheap.
As much as I dislike JR I gave him a pass on Machado and Harper, both were overpaid.
Yes it's time to open up the checkbook, as I stated earlier, JR is going to be 84, I'm sure he wants to see a contending team as much as we do.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-24-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:46 PM
WSI Prelate

"It takes 5 years to build a beautiful house." Well, it really doesn't but at this point I'd take it. And they should be able to do it if they don't do something(s) stupid like they did 2014-2016 (which they very well may do).
Old 07-24-2019, 09:58 PM
WSI Prelate

I Also have no confidence in Renteria to manage a winning club. Hitting Goings to protect Moncada tonight, absolutely stupid. Infront of McCann... Just mind boggling stupid.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Lopez made one bad pitch. One.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I Also have no confidence in Renteria to manage a winning club. Hitting Goings to protect Moncada tonight, absolutely stupid. Infront of McCann... Just mind boggling stupid.
Disagree. McCann has been scuffling since the ASG. A couple of homers, but not much else. Lots of strikeouts on balls outside the zone.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Yeah, I really have no use for Renteria, either. I donít really care about all the scout master stuff he supposedly brings to the table. He canít fill out a proper lineup card to save his life.

After Mondayís game, I was willing to cut him some slack, but then he goes and does something stupid like hitting Goins behind Moncada instead of McCann, just to stagger the L-R-L bats instead of having better hitters hit in more premium lineup spots.