GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2019, 12:00 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I don't give a **** about draft position right now. I want some goddamn results.
Then give it a week and wait and see how the lineup does once Eloy and Tim are back in it.

Honestly. I understand being frustrated, but this lineup sucks at present. This is not the team that had a very consistent offense the first half. Expecting wins and runs with this group is simply going to cause you angst and pain.

How do you not understand that?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-25-2019, 12:01 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Another day, another limp loss.
And until Anderson and Eloy are back the offense will continue to limp along.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:05 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Then give it a week and wait and see how the lineup does once Eloy and Tim are back in it.

Honestly. I understand being frustrated, but this lineup sucks at present. This is not the team that had a very consistent offense the first half. Expecting wins and runs with this group is simply going to cause you angst and pain.

How do you not understand that?
I completely understand it. I'm just sick of people talking about draft position like we're in the first or second year of the rebuild.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
I want to see results. Losing 6 out of seven to the Royals and Marlins is ridiculous. I tired of not even being mediocre just to keep hearing about draft position. Successful organizations donít have to draft in the top ten every year to be successful. I for one donít like what Iíve been seeing since the Allstar break.
1) No TA and no Eloy makes this lineup too easy to attack. Pitchers can be aggressive when the possibility of giving up a home run is taken completely off the table.

2) We ran into some really good pitching.

3) Weíre not that far away from the Royals and Marlins in terms of overall talent anyway.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I completely understand it. I'm just sick of people talking about draft position like we're in the first or second year of the rebuild.
Weíre in the third year. Not really a difference.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Look for bright spots in a rebuild. Lopezí pitching out of the Break is more in line of what I expect of him. Stuff isnít the issue, heís learned some hard lessons becoming a pitcher and he looks hot as if he figured something out.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Look for bright spots in a rebuild. Lopezí pitching out of the Break is more in line of what I expect of him. Stuff isnít the issue, heís learned some hard lessons becoming a pitcher and he looks hot as if he figured something out.
This.

And I canít really fault the offense for not being able to score off that guyís stuff tonight. The change and the curve were devastating. Youíre not stringing together hits against that.

This game was destined to come down to a late-inning home run. The Marlins got it. We didnít.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:07 AM
WSI Regular

In an unfortunate way, this was kind of payback for Lopez after all the big leads he blew last month. It is good to see him throwing the ball well. One thing I was thinking in the eighth is that he often doesn't last that long in a game and being in a 0-0 contest at that point might have been a rather unfamiliar experience for him. Let's hope he learns from it and doesn't make a similar bad pitch next time.
Actually, the entire team can learn from the experience. I thought a key at-bat was Moncada coming up with the bases full rather early in the game and hitting a weak fly ball on a 3-0 count. I know he's the cleanup hitter now, but taking a pitch or two there might have changed the course of the entire game.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:33 AM
WSI Prelate

You can certainly fault the offense for not being able to score a seventh-inning leadoff double in a scoreless game.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
You can certainly fault the offense for not being able to score a seventh-inning leadoff double in a scoreless game.
McCann has answered the bell more often than not. The guy threw a wicked changeup with two strikes and got McCann to chase. Canít get mad at him for that.

Reed was put away with a perfectly located high fastball at 94 mph. Again, nothing can be done about that.

SŠnchez was lucky to even make contact with the pitch he grounded out on to end the inning.

As much as I want to find fault with this offense for getting shut out, Gallenís stuff was just about as good as Lopezís was. The only difference is that Gallen never had the one mistake pitch that Lopez had.

85% of all baserunners donít reach the plate before the side is retired. This was a 2019 baseball game. The 4-3 baseball game of yesteryear, where both teams do everything pretty well, and one team wins on a manufactured small-ball run or 2-out base hit to drive in a runner from 2nd, is not coming back any time soon, if ever. Most of the time, both lineups mash, both pitching staffs dominate, or itís a blowout.

With the roster we currently have, weíre not well-equipped to win a slugfest. 5 of the 9 guys in this gameís lineup are slugging under .400 for the season. After the deadline, we should do anything we can to correct this. If we can make a deal involving Abreu, send Jay and Castillo to wherever guys like Jay and Castillo go now that waiver deals are a thing of the past, and open up some more playing time for people who may factor into future plans I would like to see what Reed and Collins can do protecting each other against RH starters. Having three legitimate LH power threats makes a lineup a lot more difficult for an opposing RHP to navigate. Anderson and Eloy returning will solve the problem from the RH side.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:33 AM
WSI Prelate

This isn't Baseball 101 that people here are so fond of citing. This comes from the prerequisite to Baseball 101.

Percentages have absolutely nothing to do with it. This is the third time through the lineup. You know the pitcher has great stuff, and you know that you have to push across the run in the scoreless game. You even know he's going to be pitching inside to minimize the chances of McCann poking a ground ball to the left side. McCann's job is to get the runner to third so that Reed can do his job to get the runner in. It's how you beat a pitcher who has great stuff. Not focusing on shortening your swing to put the ball in play is how you lose games.

The year is irrelevant. It's about the situation. Give Lope a 1-0 going into the eighth. I don't know if Bummer was warming up, but if Lopez was tiring, Renteria could have gone to Bummer and Colome to hold the 1-0 lead before Lopez had the chance to give up the two-run homer to the ninth-place hitter.

Real baseball may be abhorrent to the home run derby crowd, but it's how teams win games.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubuqueSox View Post
Actually, the entire team can learn from the experience. I thought a key at-bat was Moncada coming up with the bases full rather early in the game and hitting a weak fly ball on a 3-0 count. I know he's the cleanup hitter now, but taking a pitch or two there might have changed the course of the entire game.
You have to take pitches at that point. As you said, all losses provide a lesson.

Quote:
The year is irrelevant. It's about the situation. Give Lope a 1-0 going into the eighth. I don't know if Bummer was warming up, but if Lopez was tiring, Renteria could have gone to Bummer and Colome to hold the 1-0 lead before Lopez had the chance to give up the two-run homer to the ninth-place hitter.

Real baseball may be abhorrent to the home run derby crowd, but it's how teams win games.
+1
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-25-2019, 04:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Not at this level. SŠnchez put the ball in play, twice, and it didn’t mean **** either time. That one run wouldn’t have meant **** in the end.

The only way the White Sox were coming out of that game with a victory was with a 3-run home run by Reed in the 9th. He worked a full count, but Romo painted the corner and induced a short fly ball.

They homered. We didn’t. They won. Welcome to baseball in 2019.

Last edited by Mohoney; 07-25-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Not at this level.
Cleveland, St. Louis, Atlanta, Tampa Bay & Washington.

Granted the game has been dumbed down to attract today's fan but those teams above are winning games w/o the gaudy HR totals other teams have.

The game comes down to what it always will come down to: pitching and defense.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Not at this level. SŠnchez put the ball in play, twice, and it didnít mean **** either time. That one run wouldnít have meant **** in the end.
You say all this as if the game is scripted in stone. You have no way of knowing that the White Sox would lose if they were up one run.