Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2019, 10:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Default Nancy Faust Finds Dad's Tape of Her 1st Game in 1970

Great little story. Touching look at her dad's pride in her accomplishment. Love it how she said their family wasn't really into sports...until she got the job with the Sox and then her dad became a huge Sox fan.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-white-...131356843.html

April 1970 - that means next April will be the 50th anniversary of her becoming White Sox organist. It would be nice if they had a Nancy Faust Day to commemorate this.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

She was great. There was a distinctive rhythm to her playing that I can tell it's her over other ballpark organs. But she was also witty in her song selection, you had to know how the players name and the song to catch the connection.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
She was great. There was a distinctive rhythm to her playing that I can tell it's her over other ballpark organs. But she was also witty in her song selection, you had to know how the players name and the song to catch the connection.
She was extremely quick. Often I felt like I was watching the game with her. She was the White Sox soundtrack, but it was spontaneous, and she was watching the game with you. I could go to a game alone, which I rarely did as a teenager, and it was like I wasn't alone because someone was watching it with me. Certainly, she wouldn't have found her voice in her first game, but it would be interesting in seeing how she came into the role before putting her fingerprints on it.

When I moved West and went to a lot of games in San Diego and Anaheim (before the Angels moved to Los Angeles -- hope I got the color right, I went teal-implied with that line a couple of years ago and I was attached for not knowing the Angels still play down Katella Avenue from Disneyland), and I missed the strong organist. In a couple of years, they simply dropped the organists, although I'm not sure if San Diego every had one, the organ was so sparse and predictable that it could have been on tape.

The flow of baseball games is different from basketball and hockey, football and organs wouldn't mix. I know many, will disagree with this, but the game was better, more spontaneous and alive before canned walk-up music The pace felt better, although baseball has done more to destroy the pace of the game than phase out organists. A faulty analogy to be sure, especially because there is probably little love for opera in this forum, but I sort of felt when I started going to organ-less baseball in the West that it was like taking music out of opera and just having people screaming at each other. I know that Angels organist long ago got in trouble for inducing Denny McLain to balk before I started going to Anaheim, and there were incidents of organ-music insults that players took offense to over the years. But the lack of a smart, funny organist providing a soundtrack for the game diminishes it, even if Milton Bradley took offense to Nancy playing Games People Play when he came up to bat.

If I played for the White Sox, my walk-up music would be Nancy Faust, probably playing Lake Shore Drive. Any White Sox player going Nancy Faust on their intro music would become one of my favorites, regardless of his stat line.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Whenever I hear the first few notes of Nancy playing "Na, Na, Na...", I feel like I'm 12 years old again either watching the game on Channel 44 with Dad or attending the game in person at Comiskey.

Very cool memories.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

I didnít watch the video, but I remember her first year when she was actually playing in the CF bleachers.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
I didnít watch the video, but I remember her first year when she was actually playing in the CF bleachers.
They didn't show the tape in the video. Bait and switch.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Great story, I still miss hearing Nancy at the old Ballpark. My fav Nancy memory besides her playing the Na Na Hey Hey Good Bye song during the Summer of the Southside Hitmen, was in the 1990ís when Albert Belle came to bat when he was a member of the Cleveland Indians and Nancy played the theme from Cops, ďBad Boys, Bad Boys, Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?Ē

I LOLíd when she played that. And of course Albert had it coming with his chasing down the teenagers with his car on Halloween, lining baseballs at fans in the stands, and the disturbing shouting scene he had at Hannah Storm during the 1995 World Series. Albert Belle made Barry Bonds look like Mother Theresa!
Old 07-26-2019, 12:59 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
They didn't show the tape in the video. Bait and switch.
It wasn't a video that her dad made, it was an audio tape. They showed some of it being played.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 07-26-2019, 02:16 PM
WSI Personality

Nice story about one of the finest people that worked for the Sox organization over the last 50 years, I met and spoke to Nancy several times.

On September 30, 1990, the last day of Old Comiskey, my brother and I went to the ballpark when the gates opened and spent the time exploring the old Park one last time. We visited Nancy warming up at the organ in the UD and told her how much we enjoyed her work over the last 20 years. She thanked us and then started to cry. I felt awful at the time for apparently making her cry but it was a very emotional, bittersweet day....
Old 07-26-2019, 06:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Nancy's rendition of Runaround Sue was great and was a crowd favorite with many fans dancing in the aisles. Let's face it, as a franchise the Sox haven't been all that great but so many fun memories with Nancy at the organ being one of them.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-26-2019 at 06:52 PM.