GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2019, 10:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
He's not so bad by current White Sox standards. And it's only going to get worse as more prospects are integrated into every day positions.
Every other outfielder besides Eloy is better than Jay. Cordell is in Charlotte just to get Jay playing time? No thanks.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Every other outfielder besides Eloy is better than Jay. Cordell is in Charlotte just to get Jay playing time? No thanks.

This is going to be a very bad team for a very long time. This team will be back when 2020 is hindsight. Rushing prospects who aren't ready, and Collins clearly is not, is not going to make it any better.

This is a team that picked up AJ Reed and gave him another chance. Jay and Castillo present far better arguments for major league roster spots.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:44 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Today is the day I lost faith in Hahn.

This seems eternally doomed to be a half-assed organization making a half-assed effort.
I lost faith in him last offseason. Today just confirmed it.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Reasonable people can disagree about McCann, Abreu, Bummer (I would have traded all but Bummer for whatever I could get)...but not trading Colome is criminal.
Agree.
And for the coup de grace, the bloom comes off the Colome career-year rose the first game after the trade deadline.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
This is a team that picked up AJ Reed and gave him another chance. Jay and Castillo present far better arguments for major league roster spots.
Every plate appearance and every inning in the field that are given to Jon Jay and Welington Castillo are a waste of time.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:22 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
This is going to be a very bad team for a very long time. This team will be back when 2020 is hindsight. Rushing prospects who aren't ready, and Collins clearly is not, is not going to make it any better.

Jay and Castillo do not serve a purpose on this team right now. Might as well give Jay's at-bats to Tilson or Cordell.

Castillo is awful and has been since he came back from his steroid suspension. Collins is no worse than Castillo on defense, and he certainly can call a game as well as Castillo can. Collins also has been hitting well in Triple-A, so we might as well give him another shot.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:40 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
News of a few trades always trickles in after the deadline, but if the only move was dumping Nate Jones, Hahn missed another golden opportunity to improve the team.

Do we have a Fire Hahn tag yet?
What was that opportunity?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:35 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
With no possibility of waiver trades, there is no reason whatsoever to keep Castillo or Jay on this roster. Put them both on release waivers. Let them try to latch on with a contender.
Jay is batting .324 right now. That makes him a core player to build the team around. It makes absolutely no sense to just drop him.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Reasonable people can disagree about McCann, Abreu, Bummer (I would have traded all but Bummer for whatever I could get)...(emphasis added) but not trading Colome is criminal.
'Whatever I can get' is a poor position in which to enter into in any negotiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Agree. And for the coup de grace, the bloom comes off the Colome career-year rose the first game after the trade deadline.
One game and the entire body of work is discarded? Does anyone know what other teams offered the White Sox for Colome?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-01-2019, 06:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Iím not going to allow one trade deadline to decide whether or not I have ďfaithĒ in the GM.

We donít know what offers weíre out there.

We donít know how highly - or lowly - other teams thought of what we were offering.

I donít want a GM to make trades just for the sake of making trades.

Also, I donít LIKE the service time manipulation with Robert (and perhaps Madrigal), I WANT to see them on the Sox now, but I UNDERSTAND it.

I do think that Castillo needs to be gone and that Collins needs to be in the lineup. His service time clock is running and he stands to learn more from McCann than from his fellow catchers in Charlotte.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
One game and the entire body of work is discarded? Does anyone know what other teams offered the White Sox for Colome?
Seriously. I am not a fan of Hahn, either, but I think some posts here just read like trolling these days.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-01-2019, 06:49 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Does anyone know what other teams offered the White Sox for Colome?
We know what other teams took for lesser relievers. Wentz or Allard could have been acquired - quality, young lefthanded starters.

Even if he didn't like that return for Colome, there were other players that needed to be sent elsewhere. And he only managed to convert one into a lottery ticket.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 08-01-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
We know what other teams took for lesser relievers. Wentz or Allard could have been acquired - quality, young lefthanded starters.

Even if he didn't like that return for Colome, there were other players that needed to be sent elsewhere. And he only managed to convert one into a lottery ticket.
We do not know that Atlanta wanted Colome or considered him a better acquisition than Greene. We also do not know what other garbage teams were offering for any of the players the Sox were looking to move.

Plenty of teams surprisingly either did not move or did not acquire various players.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
They got live baseball players for Nate Jones. They could have gotten some minor leaguers for Abreu and there is absolutely nothing of value we get from having Abreu here through September. And the Sox would still be able to re-sign him for 2020 after the World Series, which he might have gotten a chance to play in.

Reasonable people can disagree about McCann, Abreu, Bummer (I would have traded all but Bummer for whatever I could get)...but not trading Colome is criminal.
From which team? Which team made a move for a 1B at the deadline? In order for the player to be traded there needs to be a team that needs that player. I didn't see any team trade for a 1B so that pretty much tells us there was no market for him.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
We do not know that Atlanta wanted Colome or considered him a better acquisition than Greene. We also do not know what other garbage teams were offering for any of the players the Sox were looking to move.

Plenty of teams surprisingly either did not move or did not acquire various players.
Thank you. This was an odd trade deadline considering there is no longer an August waiver period. Hahn can't just up and trade a player if no other team is interested, but that point is apparently lost on some people.