GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2019, 07:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
From which team? Which team made a move for a 1B at the deadline? In order for the player to be traded there needs to be a team that needs that player. I didn't see any team trade for a 1B so that pretty much tells us there was no market for him.
A lot of teams did absolutely nothing this year. I think the only thing that will increase action at the non-waiver deadline is to make the Wild Card a best of three series, with the #1 Wild Card as the host.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post

One game and the entire body of work is discarded? Does anyone know what other teams offered the White Sox for Colome?
Probably not a ton. But he's not worth a ton. They certainly weren't going to get anything close to what they paid for him. Still, whatever his value is, this was the time to get it.

Nothing lined up....except that somehow they were able to line up a salary dump and a dump international money the FO couldn't be bothered to spend. Hahn's 2 best prospects Tatis and Robert - international. Throw in Moncada and Eloy - international. But, who needs that market?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:33 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
Jay is batting .324 right now. That makes him a core player to build the team around. It makes absolutely no sense to just drop him.
Jon Jay is a core player?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-01-2019, 08:57 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
A lot of teams did absolutely nothing this year. I think the only thing that will increase action at the non-waiver deadline is to make the Wild Card a best of three series, with the #1 Wild Card as the host.
Ugh. As someone who wishes they would eliminate the wild cards, I would absolutely hate this.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Jon Jay is a core player?
Teal?

Jon Jay could hit .400 and not be a core player.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
We do not know that Atlanta wanted Colome or considered him a better acquisition than Greene. We also do not know what other garbage teams were offering for any of the players the Sox were looking to move.

Plenty of teams surprisingly either did not move or did not acquire various players.
But, objectively, Colome is a much better closer than Greene. He has a much better track record, regardless of the regression he is due for this year. He’s more expensive, but Hahn could negate that by including salary. Atlanta was willing to trade Allard for a much lesser player and Wentz+Demeritte for Greene, so those packages were attainable if Hahn closed the deal. It appears he overplayed his hand.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Ugh. As someone who wishes they would eliminate the wild cards, I would absolutely hate this.
I would rather just see the deadline pushed back to August 31st. Instead of two months of bottom-of-the-barrel “tank” games, there would be only one month, because bad teams would keep their good players longer in the season. Plus, it would better serve its purpose as one final tune-up to generate fan excitement for the stretch drive and the postseason.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I would rather just see the deadline pushed back to August 31st. Instead of two months of bottom-of-the-barrel “tank” games, there would be only one month, because bad teams would keep their good players longer in the season. Plus, it would better serve its purpose as one final tune-up to generate fan excitement for the stretch drive and the postseason.
This could happen. Maybe incrementally (Aug 15 at first).
Old 08-01-2019, 09:21 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Teal?

Jon Jay could hit .400 and not be a core player.
I was replying to someone who said exactly that and yes I agree it's a confusing statement.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
But, objectively, Colome is a much better closer than Greene. He has a much better track record, regardless of the regression he is due for this year. He’s more expensive, but Hahn could negate that by including salary. Atlanta was willing to trade Allard for a much lesser player and Wentz+Demeritte for Greene, so those packages were attainable if Hahn closed the deal. It appears he overplayed his hand.
Hahn can’t do that without JR’s explicit approval.

KW said it all the morning after the Padres signed Machado: “Kudos to their ownership for stepping up.”

JR has never been an owner who steps up, except when he wanted to break the players union in 1994, and then when he wanted to express his displeasure with his fellow owners by signing Albert Belle.

I find it hard to blame KW or Hahn for financial issues when JR consistently handcuffs them.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
This is *complete* speculation.

Greene strikes out almost 3 more batters per 9 than Colome. He also has a better ERA, FIP, and xFIP. Walk rates are the same.

They're the same age with the same remaining team control. Greene is a few million cheaper.

Let's not pretend Colome is leaps and bounds ahead of Greene. I'm not saying he isn't better, but I can see why a team would prefer Greene.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-01-2019, 10:54 AM
WSI Prelate

I think most teams just knew what we feared, Colome has been lucky and out-producing his numbers, and they are just not sustainable.

Its disappointing to do nothing, but thats kind of been the status qou. Nothing to get excited about, told to ignore the columns on being a loser or grading out as an F. Keep on Keeping on, pretending guys like Abreu and Colome are core guys etc.

If anything, maybe Abreu's month of sucking can end and he calms down about being traded.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This is *complete* speculation.

Greene strikes out almost 3 more batters per 9 than Colome. He also has a better ERA, FIP, and xFIP. Walk rates are the same.

They're the same age with the same remaining team control. Greene is a few million cheaper.

Let's not pretend Colome is leaps and bounds ahead of Greene. I'm not saying he isn't better, but I can see why a team would prefer Greene.
But what about Kolby Allard for Chris Martin? I would consider Colomé a better acquisition than Martin.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
But what about Kolby Allard for Chris Martin? I would consider Colomé a better acquisition than Martin.
Martin's numbers this season are fantastic. Another K machine with next to no walks.

I'm just making an argument I may or may not agree with. My overall point is that we can't assume Colome was more or less coveted than many of these other relievers, and there were *so* many available this year.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:15 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think most teams just knew what we feared, Colome has been lucky and out-producing his numbers, and they are just not sustainable.

Its disappointing to do nothing, but thats kind of been the status qou. Nothing to get excited about, told to ignore the columns on being a loser or grading out as an F. Keep on Keeping on, pretending guys like Abreu and Colome are core guys etc.

If anything, maybe Abreu's month of sucking can end and he calms down about being traded.
I don't view the non trade of Colome as this at all. I think that Hahn was looking to have a team come in and overpay for him due to all of the elite closers not moving (Yates, Hand, Vazquez, etc), but that didn't happen. He missed an opportunity to get around the correct value of Colome in a player like Allard or Wentz. Also a possibility that his scouts didn't like either of those players much and wanted the Phillies to part with a Adonis Medina, which would have been a bit above Colome's value. At the end of the day, he valued having an almost set back of the bullpen for next year (Colome, Bummer, Marshall, Fry) over getting a young minor league starter that would still be a long shot to be a mainstay in the rotation.

Hope he has a plan to get much needed MLB ready or close pitching depth in the offseason.

He can also trade Colome, Bummer, or Marshall in the offseason, though likely for a lesser price due to less control. Unless of course any of them pitch out of their mind the remainder of the season.