White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 05:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/sta...50307870998529

So...dumbest trade rumor of the offseason so far goes to Chuck Garfien by way of Peter Gammons. Look at this nonsense:

Red Sox get:
Nick Madrigal
Andrew Vaughn

White Sox get
David Price
Andrew Benintendi
Money

That might be one of the worst trade ideas I've ever seen.
I would not do this deal. But I also don't feel that it's outlandish. Just counter productive.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I would not do this deal. But I also don't feel that it's outlandish. Just counter productive.
At this point, I value Andrew Vaughn more than I value Andrew Benintendi. Vaughn belongs nowhere near this deal.

Benintendiís 2018 season looks more like a high-end outlier than a reliable data point. He has been no better than league average with the bat for 2 out of the past 3 years, and to be honest, I donít really like his arm in RF.

I would rather just tell Boston to keep the money and send back lesser prospects instead. Or preferably just scrap Benintendi and Madrigal and take Price as a PURE SALARY DUMP along with a lesser talent from Bostonís end.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think even in a pure 100% salary dump, Price has value. There's a reason a half dozen teams are trying to acquire him.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:22 PM
WSI Prelate

I would just bite the bullet with Bumgarner than mess around with Price.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think even in a pure 100% salary dump, Price has value. There's a reason a half dozen teams are trying to acquire him.
Thatís fine. One of those teams can have him.

Paying a 12-WAR salary ($96/8) for a guy who likely puts up somewhere between 8 and 9 WAR is not worth doing until we are closer to winning a division than we actually are. It certainly is not worth doing if anything other than organizational depth is outgoing in a trade.

If Bumgarner or Keuchel doesnít come here as well, then Iím fine with Price getting away. They need 2 out of the 3. 1 out of the 3 is utterly pointless, especially if the 1 is Keuchel. If that is the plan, just pick up 1-year trash and line Reinsdorfís pockets a little more.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, at this point all that's left isn't very helpful for competing short or long term. Perhaps Ryu if they'll overpay to get him to come here. But given how things have gone, I don't see that happening.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Because the media hangs from the Sawx nuts and the Sawx take advantage of that fact to drum up interest?

Sure, teams contact teams in this situation to see what they can get out of the salary dump. Doesnít mean anyone is actually interested in Price for cost.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Because the media hangs from the Sawx nuts and the Sawx take advantage of that fact to drum up interest?

Sure, teams contact teams in this situation to see what they can get out of the salary dump. Doesnít mean anyone is actually interested in Price for cost.
Yes, but more teams = a higher chance of finding that lone goofball GM who will overpay.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, plus the Reds are one of the teams and are just begging for people to take their money. They see Milwaukee and Chicago taking a step back and St. Louis as beatable, and are desperate to add players to help them win games.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yo****omo Tsutsugo signs a 2 year deal with the Rays ($6 million per).
Old 12-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Thatís fine. One of those teams can have him.

Paying a 12-WAR salary ($96/8) for a guy who likely puts up somewhere between 8 and 9 WAR is not worth doing until we are closer to winning a division than we actually are. It certainly is not worth doing if anything other than organizational depth is outgoing in a trade.

If Bumgarner or Keuchel doesnít come here as well, then Iím fine with Price getting away. They need 2 out of the 3. 1 out of the 3 is utterly pointless, especially if the 1 is Keuchel. If that is the plan, just pick up 1-year trash and line Reinsdorfís pockets a little more.
Keuchel is a #4 at this point in his career, but he has fewer miles on that arm, and I'd have no problem signing him for the second starter/innings eater role even if the first starter is elusive.

Price and Bumgarner are #2s (if healthy) but have lots of downside risk.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Keuchel is a #4 at this point in his career, but he has fewer miles on that arm, and I'd have no problem signing him for the second starter/innings eater role even if the first starter is elusive.

Price might be a #2 (3.60 FIP last year) but he's also going to be 35, 36, and 37 in the last three years of his deal. That's a risky proposition especially considering his recent health issues.

Bumgarner is in a 3 year spiral as he enters his 30's and had a FIP of near 4 each of the last three years. Adding him with any expectation other than that BOR innings eater role is likely to lead to massive disappointment.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post

The downside risk is irrelevant. Theyíre the best available options now. The guys with less downside risk are already gone. The only other course of action is to just pocket the money.

If the team is going to bumble around in a perpetual haze of sticker shock with free agent pitchers, then itís time to abandon that avenue of talent acquisition altogether.

Focus instead on making Nomar Mazara-type trades centered around young pitching. Take bad short-term money off the books of the real spenders, collecting young pitching as the transaction fee.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:00 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Price might be a #2 (3.60 FIP last year) but he's also going to be 35, 36, and 37 in the last three years of his deal. That's a risky proposition especially considering his recent health issues.

Bumgarner is in a 3 year spiral as he enters his 30's and had a FIP of near 4 each of the last three years. Adding him with any expectation other than that BOR innings eater role is likely to lead to massive disappointment.
Curious because I read somewhere Bumgarner had the highest increase in spin rate in baseball last year. Giolito was second.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-14-2019, 12:39 AM
WSI Regular

Bumgarner had a league-leading 34 starts. He also pitched 207 innings in the National League and averaged practically a strikeout per inning. He would be a wonderful addition to our staff, especially with his big-game experience.
Closed Thread