White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:10 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I think Strasburg was capped at 125 innings the year he returned.

The question is whether or not those 125 innings are more valuable in a starting capacity or a multi-inning relief capacity. Instead of those <100-pitch workloads every 5th day, why not do <50-pitch workloads every 3rd day? Give him scheduled days of work just like a starter, but in relief. If that dayís starter goes a little longer, then Kopechís stint can go shorter, or perhaps even delayed by an extra day if that situation presents itself.
Strasburg also came back making rehabs stints 12 months later, and five big league starts after just 13 months.
It will be interesting to see. Iíve read it said that itís better to have TJ late in the season because it timeliness you pretty perfectly to miss basically one entire season and be back to your routine the following season. Of course every body is different and caution is paramount, but I know they are keeping his plate full of work right now to prep him for an important role in 2020.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:14 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,991
Default

As I was typing ...

Quote:
James Fegan
@JRFegan

8m
Per source, Gio GonzŠlez and White Sox have a deal. Base salary of $4.5M in 2020 with up to $1M in incentives ($250K for reaching 15, 20, 25, 30 starts)

$7M club option for 2021, with a $500K buyout.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:26 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,991
Default

Wish we could get Ryu or Keuchel on a beefed up version of that deal.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:27 PM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
As I was typing ...
Wow, that seems to be extremely team-friendly. Nice job, Hahn.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
You sold me on that idea for Rodon -- use him like Andrew Miller. But is there any data or medical opinion which suggests that 100 pitches every five days is more or less stressful on a recovering arm than 50 pitches every three days?
I would imagine that cutting the pitches in half, plus cutting all those warmup tosses between innings, plus cutting some of the pregame tosses, plus reducing the side session work, plus the ability to skip some scheduled games altogether, would make the overall stress level go down, but it is just a guess. The increased frequency between appearances very well may be of greater concern.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:50 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Strasburg also came back making rehabs stints 12 months later, and five big league starts after just 13 months.
It will be interesting to see. Iíve read it said that itís better to have TJ late in the season because it timeliness you pretty perfectly to miss basically one entire season and be back to your routine the following season. Of course every body is different and caution is paramount, but I know they are keeping his plate full of work right now to prep him for an important role in 2020.
It also matters from a team perspective, though.

I would hate to put Kopech in the rotation to start the season and be forced to shut him down in July or August. I would much rather have him impact games the entire season and pitch in as many different parks as possible. Plus, it saves the other bullpen arms.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-20-2019, 06:04 PM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Isn't that what Kopech had? I thought we were looking at 18 months. Kopech wasn't ready to pitch last August.

Kopech's timeline is Kopech specific. Part of the problem is by the time he would have been ready again, the season was over. And they didn't want him to start mound throwing in the offseason if they're going to limit him this year.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-20-2019, 06:27 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I would imagine that cutting the pitches in half, plus cutting all those warmup tosses between innings, plus cutting some of the pregame tosses, plus reducing the side session work, plus the ability to skip some scheduled games altogether, would make the overall stress level go down, but it is just a guess. The increased frequency between appearances very well may be of greater concern.
It's a completely different frequency of stress and use on an arm by doing 50 pitches every 3rd day. I see it as doing more harm than good, than simply getting him back to every 5 days at 80-90 pitches.

Once you get passed 25 or so pitches you really feel it the next day. 50 pitches is pretty much a rain shortened/bombed start that you've fully ramped up and you need the full rest for the most part, unless its worth the risk in the playoffs.

This just isn't something a young stud pitcher should be doing coming off major surgery.

If I threw multiple innings when I used to pitch, I always opted in favor of more rest.

50 pitches every 3 days just isn't something thats even done, and for a reason. Even the second guy to come in after the opener like a Ryan Yarbrough, takes 5 days rest.

Ultimately you are just shortening the amount of rest between taxing starts, which is the last thing he needs.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-26-2019, 12:30 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 7,407
Default

I'm personally thrilled with this offseason- and kind of shocked by so much negativity on these moves.
  1. We signed one of the best catchers in the game- addressing a need for pitch framing, LH hitting, OBP, etc.
  2. We added two quality LH veteran rotation starters to complement our young RH pitching and allow for patience as Kopech and Rodon return from injury
  3. We significantly upgraded 2 black holes in the line up- right field and DH

We did this without hamstringing the payroll for the long term and while only giving up a 23 yo prospect who had a .771 OPS at High A.

No prospect development is hampered by these moves (I'm not in on the hand wringing over Zach Collins' playing time), we haven't lost any draft choices- and we've dramatically improved this team to be a legitimate contender in the Central Division in 2020.

I'm a little gun shy like alot of folks after the failure of 2015, etc.- but based on what's available on this off season's FA market- I think Hahn has done a really nice job.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
"When youíre going good, youíre not that ****ing good,but when youíre going bad, youíre not that bad. Thatís ****ing Satchel Paige there and thatís wisdom.Ē - Don Cooper, April-2019
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-26-2019, 01:45 PM
WSox597 WSox597 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern Illinois, Will County
Posts: 2,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'm personally thrilled with this offseason- and kind of shocked by so much negativity on these moves.
  1. We signed one of the best catchers in the game- addressing a need for pitch framing, LH hitting, OBP, etc.
  2. We added two quality LH veteran rotation starters to complement our young RH pitching and allow for patience as Kopech and Rodon return from injury
  3. We significantly upgraded 2 black holes in the line up- right field and DH

We did this without hamstringing the payroll for the long term and while only giving up a 23 yo prospect who had a .771 OPS at High A.

No prospect development is hampered by these moves (I'm not in on the hand wringing over Zach Collins' playing time), we haven't lost any draft choices- and we've dramatically improved this team to be a legitimate contender in the Central Division in 2020.

I'm a little gun shy like alot of folks after the failure of 2015, etc.- but based on what's available on this off season's FA market- I think Hahn has done a really nice job.
Well put, and I agree. He's made some nice moves this off-season and he might not be done yet.

It's better than doing nothing and expecting different results. You can't please some people, but that's true in all walks of life.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-29-2019, 11:36 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,531
Default

So, 33 of the 50 top free agents have been signed so far this offseason. The team with most signings (5) is the Sox. That would be the White Sox, not the Red ones. Only the Braves have 4. The others that have signed the top 50 have between 1 and 3 signing.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 5,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
So, 33 of the 50 top free agents have been signed so far this offseason. The team with most signings (5) is the Sox. That would be the White Sox, not the Red ones. Only the Braves have 4. The others that have signed the top 50 have between 1 and 3 signing.
Still bad...
__________________
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-29-2019, 11:34 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
So, 33 of the 50 top free agents have been signed so far this offseason. The team with most signings (5) is the Sox. That would be the White Sox, not the Red ones. Only the Braves have 4. The others that have signed the top 50 have between 1 and 3 signing.
The problem is, in a weak free agent crop, you stopped getting major difference makers after the top 4/5 guys. The top 50 means less than the top 10. I like what we have done as a whole, but I also understand the frustration that again we also have proven we arenít going to land a big fish.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-30-2019, 12:16 AM
KRS1 KRS1 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The problem is, in a weak free agent crop, you stopped getting major difference makers after the top 4/5 guys. The top 50 means less than the top 10. I like what we have done as a whole, but I also understand the frustration that again we also have proven we arenít going to land a big fish.
We tried and offered more money for the only one I still really wanted at market value. Would be great to have Wheeler, but what were we to do? He signed really early and all indications point to the Phillies being of total mutual interest. Yanks were never going to be outbid for Cole and Strasburg was never leaving Washington. I never wanted to give a 30 year old Rendon, especially at $245M. All you can do after that is trust your scouting and pick your additions wisely.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-30-2019, 05:03 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 5,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
We tried and offered more money for the only one I still really wanted at market value. Would be great to have Wheeler, but what were we to do?
You start to win. If the White Sox look like a winning organization and results follow players will sign here.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.