GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2019, 05:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I think Strasburg was capped at 125 innings the year he returned.

The question is whether or not those 125 innings are more valuable in a starting capacity or a multi-inning relief capacity. Instead of those <100-pitch workloads every 5th day, why not do <50-pitch workloads every 3rd day? Give him scheduled days of work just like a starter, but in relief. If that dayís starter goes a little longer, then Kopechís stint can go shorter, or perhaps even delayed by an extra day if that situation presents itself.
Strasburg also came back making rehabs stints 12 months later, and five big league starts after just 13 months.
It will be interesting to see. Iíve read it said that itís better to have TJ late in the season because it timeliness you pretty perfectly to miss basically one entire season and be back to your routine the following season. Of course every body is different and caution is paramount, but I know they are keeping his plate full of work right now to prep him for an important role in 2020.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:14 PM
WSI Prelate

As I was typing ...

Quote:
James Fegan
@JRFegan

8m
Per source, Gio GonzŠlez and White Sox have a deal. Base salary of $4.5M in 2020 with up to $1M in incentives ($250K for reaching 15, 20, 25, 30 starts)

$7M club option for 2021, with a $500K buyout.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Wish we could get Ryu or Keuchel on a beefed up version of that deal.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
As I was typing ...
Wow, that seems to be extremely team-friendly. Nice job, Hahn.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
You sold me on that idea for Rodon -- use him like Andrew Miller. But is there any data or medical opinion which suggests that 100 pitches every five days is more or less stressful on a recovering arm than 50 pitches every three days?
I would imagine that cutting the pitches in half, plus cutting all those warmup tosses between innings, plus cutting some of the pregame tosses, plus reducing the side session work, plus the ability to skip some scheduled games altogether, would make the overall stress level go down, but it is just a guess. The increased frequency between appearances very well may be of greater concern.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Strasburg also came back making rehabs stints 12 months later, and five big league starts after just 13 months.
It will be interesting to see. Iíve read it said that itís better to have TJ late in the season because it timeliness you pretty perfectly to miss basically one entire season and be back to your routine the following season. Of course every body is different and caution is paramount, but I know they are keeping his plate full of work right now to prep him for an important role in 2020.
It also matters from a team perspective, though.

I would hate to put Kopech in the rotation to start the season and be forced to shut him down in July or August. I would much rather have him impact games the entire season and pitch in as many different parks as possible. Plus, it saves the other bullpen arms.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Isn't that what Kopech had? I thought we were looking at 18 months. Kopech wasn't ready to pitch last August.

Kopech's timeline is Kopech specific. Part of the problem is by the time he would have been ready again, the season was over. And they didn't want him to start mound throwing in the offseason if they're going to limit him this year.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I would imagine that cutting the pitches in half, plus cutting all those warmup tosses between innings, plus cutting some of the pregame tosses, plus reducing the side session work, plus the ability to skip some scheduled games altogether, would make the overall stress level go down, but it is just a guess. The increased frequency between appearances very well may be of greater concern.
It's a completely different frequency of stress and use on an arm by doing 50 pitches every 3rd day. I see it as doing more harm than good, than simply getting him back to every 5 days at 80-90 pitches.

Once you get passed 25 or so pitches you really feel it the next day. 50 pitches is pretty much a rain shortened/bombed start that you've fully ramped up and you need the full rest for the most part, unless its worth the risk in the playoffs.

This just isn't something a young stud pitcher should be doing coming off major surgery.

If I threw multiple innings when I used to pitch, I always opted in favor of more rest.

50 pitches every 3 days just isn't something thats even done, and for a reason. Even the second guy to come in after the opener like a Ryan Yarbrough, takes 5 days rest.

Ultimately you are just shortening the amount of rest between taxing starts, which is the last thing he needs.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:30 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm personally thrilled with this offseason- and kind of shocked by so much negativity on these moves.
  1. We signed one of the best catchers in the game- addressing a need for pitch framing, LH hitting, OBP, etc.
  2. We added two quality LH veteran rotation starters to complement our young RH pitching and allow for patience as Kopech and Rodon return from injury
  3. We significantly upgraded 2 black holes in the line up- right field and DH

We did this without hamstringing the payroll for the long term and while only giving up a 23 yo prospect who had a .771 OPS at High A.

No prospect development is hampered by these moves (I'm not in on the hand wringing over Zach Collins' playing time), we haven't lost any draft choices- and we've dramatically improved this team to be a legitimate contender in the Central Division in 2020.

I'm a little gun shy like alot of folks after the failure of 2015, etc.- but based on what's available on this off season's FA market- I think Hahn has done a really nice job.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'm personally thrilled with this offseason- and kind of shocked by so much negativity on these moves.
  1. We signed one of the best catchers in the game- addressing a need for pitch framing, LH hitting, OBP, etc.
  2. We added two quality LH veteran rotation starters to complement our young RH pitching and allow for patience as Kopech and Rodon return from injury
  3. We significantly upgraded 2 black holes in the line up- right field and DH

We did this without hamstringing the payroll for the long term and while only giving up a 23 yo prospect who had a .771 OPS at High A.

No prospect development is hampered by these moves (I'm not in on the hand wringing over Zach Collins' playing time), we haven't lost any draft choices- and we've dramatically improved this team to be a legitimate contender in the Central Division in 2020.

I'm a little gun shy like alot of folks after the failure of 2015, etc.- but based on what's available on this off season's FA market- I think Hahn has done a really nice job.
Well put, and I agree. He's made some nice moves this off-season and he might not be done yet.

It's better than doing nothing and expecting different results. You can't please some people, but that's true in all walks of life.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:36 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

So, 33 of the 50 top free agents have been signed so far this offseason. The team with most signings (5) is the Sox. That would be the White Sox, not the Red ones. Only the Braves have 4. The others that have signed the top 50 have between 1 and 3 signing.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
So, 33 of the 50 top free agents have been signed so far this offseason. The team with most signings (5) is the Sox. That would be the White Sox, not the Red ones. Only the Braves have 4. The others that have signed the top 50 have between 1 and 3 signing.
Still bad...
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-29-2019, 11:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The problem is, in a weak free agent crop, you stopped getting major difference makers after the top 4/5 guys. The top 50 means less than the top 10. I like what we have done as a whole, but I also understand the frustration that again we also have proven we arenít going to land a big fish.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The problem is, in a weak free agent crop, you stopped getting major difference makers after the top 4/5 guys. The top 50 means less than the top 10. I like what we have done as a whole, but I also understand the frustration that again we also have proven we arenít going to land a big fish.
We tried and offered more money for the only one I still really wanted at market value. Would be great to have Wheeler, but what were we to do? He signed really early and all indications point to the Phillies being of total mutual interest. Yanks were never going to be outbid for Cole and Strasburg was never leaving Washington. I never wanted to give a 30 year old Rendon, especially at $245M. All you can do after that is trust your scouting and pick your additions wisely.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
We tried and offered more money for the only one I still really wanted at market value. Would be great to have Wheeler, but what were we to do?
You start to win. If the White Sox look like a winning organization and results follow players will sign here.